How do you read for strangers and get it (almost) right?

mza

Hello everyone,
I have a question about reading for strangers whether its online or live readings. Most people would first want to test a reader to see if they know their stuff. How do you go about it if someone asks for a general reading just to see if they can trust your reading or use you next time? Of course they wouldn't tell you that but am assuming that that's the normal thing to do. Are there any particular spreads as an experienced reader that you use or are you comfortable to just use three cards? If you use a few cards without a particular question posed by the sitter how do you know the 'answers' you read are complete? I'm trying to perfect my technique on the CC but right now i am confident with it most times reading only for myself as i can understand all the cards appearing in the different positions. I am just not sure reading for others how I would fair. Also do you ask for the sitter to tell you exactly what question to ask the deck or are you confident enough to just dive into the deep end and come up accurately with whatever is going on in the sitter's life.
Oh i look forward to your answers! Thanks as always.

Le Fanu

I'm not sure if people do actually test the reader beforehand, though others may well say that's the case.

To be honest, and this is just my opinion, if you just let go and read, forgetting inhibitions and doubts, it is far easier to read for strangers than for yourself and for someone you know. That's been my experience anyway.

The times I have read for strangers or for people about whom I know nothing, I have just had to trust myself and let go. If I know the person there is that urge to make it *fit* into the life you know they have.

gregory

I only read on line; I almost only read for people here,most of whom I have never met and know little about. A lot of them seem to think I have "got it right". I find reading for people I know (it has happened !) my readings could be coloured by what I do know, as it can be hard not to let that influence what I see.

Try some exchanges here and see how you do. But for that you will have to subscribe.

Apollonia

Probably a third of my clients will start by asking for a general reading, or they will say, "Just tell me what the cards say and then I might have a question afterwards." For these I just throw a Celtic Cross and dive in. It takes nerves of steel not to flinch the first few times, but you get over it.

I don't think they're usually doing it to test me, though of course some will do this. Since I'm getting paid either way, it doesn't matter to me whether they are testing me or not, as long as they aren't trying to deceive or trick me, because I find that really annoying.

poivre

I let the client pick their own cards and then do a spread...
also I say " the cards you chose is the information you need
to hear, at this time, that's why you picked those cards"

A client accepts responsibility for the reading,
if they pick their own cards.

just some thoughts
poivre
:)

~ all the cards have information... information is what they get...
it's our understanding of the cards, that's what they get, if we pick them or they do :)

elvenstar

mzansi-afrika said:
How do you go about it if someone asks for a general reading just to see if they can trust your reading or use you next time? Of course they wouldn't tell you that but am assuming that that's the normal thing to do.

Why they ask for it is their business, mine is to read the cards and tell them what i see. :)

Are there any particular spreads as an experienced reader that you use or are you comfortable to just use three cards? If you use a few cards without a particular question posed by the sitter how do you know the 'answers' you read are complete?
Not sure how experienced I am, but often do a 3 card one, like past present future or green yellow red light, or situation advice outcome, or four cards, the four elements. All of these and many other spreads give some information relevant to the person, at the end of the day it's not that important, what needs to be said will come through.

Also do you ask for the sitter to tell you exactly what question to ask the deck or are you confident enough to just dive into the deep end and come up accurately with whatever is going on in the sitter's life.
Oh i look forward to your answers! Thanks as always.
I ask if they have a question and if they don't, or don't want to say it, i usually do one of the above. Just trust yourself that the information will be relevant, reading for strangers makes you appreciate the tarot in a whole different way.

mza

Thanks for all the response. Le Fanu i suppose i'll need to throw caution to the wind and just follow the intuition. To do that well i should learn to believe in myself just that bit more.
@Gregory i'll take up the reading exercise when i subscribe, that'll be quite helpful i'm sure cos you get immediate feedback right?
@L.I.S that link is an eyeopener, good stuff. My soul linking/reading another is an interesting perspective. i like it.
@Poivre i can picture your method working quite well with a sitter with you but on the phone i wonder if it'd help as much cos the person can't see what you doing. For a querent phoning in for the first time, someone who does'nt know how tarot works it might leave them a bit unsatisfied. But anyway i suppose if you let them know the rules of how you read first it will make things somewhat clearer as they know that they can only expect so much. But sure if i read for someone face to face i'm sure i'll find that method quite useful. No blame on me kind of thing!
@Apolliona just wanted to ask since i know you do use other methods to read, do you also incorporate other readings aids to help. Or if the person asks for tarot you just do cards only and the reading gives a complete picture of the sitters life without you having to add another method to help. I hope thats something i'll be able to accomplish eventually.
@Eleven star thanks for your explanation. I will first try on one or two friends and see how it goes. only problem i see is i'll have to explain what tarot is and how its not evil lol.

Apollonia

mzansi-afrika said:
@Apolliona just wanted to ask since i know you do use other methods to read, do you also incorporate other readings aids to help. Or if the person asks for tarot you just do cards only and the reading gives a complete picture of the sitters life without you having to add another method to help. I hope thats something i'll be able to accomplish eventually.
To begin with, I throw the cards and just start in reading what I see there. Then my guide often pops in with additional information, so the reading as a whole starts with just the cards and then may go from there into a combo Tarot/psychic reading.