Using more than one deck. sorta. Advanced?

brightcrazystar

If you are like me, you like to pursue the conventional Tarot and Occult knowledge, test it it for veracity, and find ways to revise it to accomodate the "Chaos Factor" that all things seem to have in them. I have toyed with making a deck before, but the problem I have with a physical deck is a limited number of variables, and each one being unique. That is to say, there is one Empress in the deck.

Well, that is well and good, but what happens when there is more than one Empress in your life? Trust me, this can happen... and they are not always aspected the same way. Tarot defines ONE reality... the catch it, Realities Overlap and sometimes we need to see the layers.

I have done readings that required me to shuffle and focus on each card placement each time. As in I shuffle and draw with one, and use indicator decks for the placement, thus there is a shuffle and draw of all 78 cards for each of the ten positions, which I mark with other decks. What I do then, is use other decks as part of my commentary on them.

This gives me "franken-deck readings" which can be quite neat, based on the readings. For example, for a "hope/dream/fear" placement, I use a more whimsical Tarot such as Phantasmagoria, and for a more stoic placement, I use a more serious deck such as Thoth. The Magician in the Past looks alot different than the Magician as the outcome in these readings.

Does anyone else do anything like this? Ever had the same card come up multiple times in the same reading this way, and by placement imagery mean a variety of things? Any decks you recommend for a good placement deck for specific positions of particular reading patterns or spreads? I find the Opening the Key reading works well this way, for each year is no longer seen as a closed loop, but a procedure connecting the previous years and the years to come.

If you want to give this a shot and haven't - set some time aside, make it your own. This type of reading tends to take a while but reveal a HUGE download of infowhen I do my variety of Open the Key readings involving 24 cards, presumaebly because you are working so many parts of your brain and recieving so many currents of mercurial information at once and filtered through the intent of different artists and designers. I usually have to lay down after... light off. It is not my casual reading approach by any means... but if you have been wondering what to do with ten decks you like and looking for a new reading, just try a celtic cross like this.

zannamarie

I've never done spreads that large with multiple decks, but then again I don't own that many different decks. :D

I did a reading thread here on AT with three different decks. Pulled one card from each deck and did a three card reading. Not only did I read the specific card, but I also took into account the size of the card as one deck was a mini, one was regular, and one was on the large size.

herself

That's a really cool idea - I like the thought of finding all sorts of relationships and correspondences between cards in different decks!

Lady Iron Side

herself said:
That's a really cool idea - I like the thought of finding all sorts of relationships and correspondences between cards in different decks!

This is to me, the most effective way one can read, I have posted here on At about creating your own deck using different deck to create a deck that is more personal. taking cards that attract your attention, and holds your focuse, can bring about a whole new interpretation of a reading. which is valuable. what you suggest I would so suggest as well, you learn so much more about the tarot and yourself and intuition speaks more clear. great idea about 10 decks, I'm so gonna try that. thanks

Eco74

Several years ago I did try out a spread that contained several different decks. One for each 'segment' in a similar way as yours but with a few cards instead of just one from each deck.

I did two of these on the same day and ended up with a 'third-eye-headache' and the most incredible dream I had had in a long time the following night... ;)

This does make me curious to try it again, but I really need to clear up a large enough reading space first.
There's some motivation for tidying up. :D