Charcoal incense and Frankencense resin

Graymalkin

I never used Charcoal incense before nor have I used Frankincense resin (other than stick/oil form) and I was wondering how to go about it? I tried it earlier and it ended up smelling kinda bad and melted the resin. :(

Caedryn

I do not know what you mean by charcoal incense.

Frankincense has a really nice fragrant odour to it (at least I think it does).

Get charcoal that is for burning incense on...(maybe that is what you meant?), put it on some sand in a bowl, light the charcoal, and let it heat up until red. Then put the resin on. The resin will melt and send off smoke.

Note: do not use barbecue charcoal...it gives off dangerous fumes. Only use charcoal meant for burning resins.

Make sure the sand is two to three inches deep.

~ C

Graymalkin

well, that's the charcoal i got, specifically for incense, but I'll do just that.

Nevada

Even the charcoal discs made for incense shouldn't really be used indoors, IMO. They give off a LOT of smoke when burning the incense, in my experience. They're also quite hot when burning (smoldering) and of course need to be in a fire safe container, as does stick incense. They stay hot for so long, they're really overkill for most needs I've ever had.

I prefer stick incense if I use it indoors. I think it's much easier to control - and to extinguish in a hurry if needed.

(With a curious cat around I even avoid candles and stick incense.)

The crowned one

I love the charcoal pads, but you must let them get to white before you add anything you wish to burn....and they burn whatever you put on then very fast and furiously. I can fill a room with wonderful aromatic smoke in about 3 minutes :)

I light 3 edges of the pad I hold the match there untill I see red glow on one sde, then light the other sides..

Caedryn

Nevada said:
Even the charcoal discs made for incense shouldn't really be used indoors, IMO. They give off a LOT of smoke when burning the incense, in my experience. They're also quite hot when burning (smoldering) and of course need to be in a fire safe container, as does stick incense. They stay hot for so long, they're really overkill for most needs I've ever had.

I prefer stick incense if I use it indoors. I think it's much easier to control - and to extinguish in a hurry if needed.

(With a curious cat around I even avoid candles and stick incense.)

They shouldn't. I have lit them, there is a bit of smoke and a little bit of sparking, but no great amount of smoke. Once they are fully fired up and glowing red, there is no smoke at all.

But, if it concerns anyone, take enough Frankincense and dissolve it in a carrier oil such as olive oil, almond oil, or safflower oil. Put this oil onto one of the aromatic oil burners...you know, the one that looks like a dish on a short column, put a tea light in the column underneath the bowl with the oil. Light candle and after about five minutes, you will have the fragrance of the frankincense oil permeating your house.

Put it where the cat is unable to reach it.

~ C

Graymalkin

Olive oil? wont it smell of olives if I burned it then?

Caedryn

Graymalkin said:
Olive oil? wont it smell of olives if I burned it then?

Not really, the frankincense takes over. But even if it did, olives smell nice.

Or, go to a store that carries aromatic oils and use that.

~ C

Graymalkin

i'll try the Olive oil, thanks!