Can you recommend a good scanner?

JBerry

I'm looking for a scanner to perform one function: scan Tarot cards so that I may send images by e-mail or include images in documents. (Yes, I respect copyright laws and have permission to use these images.)

I need something simple. I just purchased a CanonScan LiDE 700F. Initially it's giving me problems because there seems to be no way to line up images. They come out slanted. Very annoying.

Recommendations please?

Thanks

starrystarrynight

If they are coming out slanted, and that's your only problem, have you thought about using an image-manipulation software that can crop and rotate your images? Most scanners I have purchased over the years (and I've had at least a half dozen!) come with software that will allow you to do those kinds of things.

gregory

How odd. My Canoscan is GREAT. I am guessing (assuming it is a flatbed) that they move when you close the lid. Put a sheet of paper over them and look to be sure they are straight and THEN close the lid ?

JBerry

Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks, friends. I'll continue working with this scanner. The color reproduction is great. There just doesn't seem to be an easy way to perfectly align a card when I put it down to be scanned. Yes, it does come up in a rectangle, but within that rectangle it sometimes is slightly slanted. I do have software that can crop and rotate -- but if that slight slant is there, it can't correct it. I am quite a perfectionist. Also it doesn't seem to be able to deal with rounded corners of a rectangle -- so those cut away areas are either filled in with white, or appear as shadow.

gregory

What software have you ? Photoshop does it very easily for me...

OR - a tiny dab of blu tack and a piece of paper... Line the cards up on the paper and then line the paper up with the edge of the scanner plate ?

Bernice

gregory said:
....snip......

OR - a tiny dab of blu tack and a piece of paper... Line the cards up on the paper and then line the paper up with the edge of the scanner plate ?
Good idea. Alternatively, I use 'Ifanview' (freeware) to rotate images.

Bee :)

JBerry

Good idea, agreed

Yes, aligning the card with a piece of paper could work! My old scanner had corners that I could fit cards right into. This one does not.

Thanks, much to all

JBerry

gregory

JBerry said:
Yes, aligning the card with a piece of paper could work! My old scanner had corners that I could fit cards right into. This one does not.

Thanks, much to all

JBerry
Wow - my (admittedly oldish) Canoscan has lovely corners. Only snag - it doesn't QUITE scan into them !!!

Alta

I also have a Canoscan and it also won't scan all the way into the corners.