PDA

View Full Version : Vedic Study Group

Fire Cat
14-02-2011, 01:44
I would like to form a Vedic Astrology study group. After recent developments and considerations in my personal life, I have come to the realization that sidereal or Vedic astrology is the way to go for me! (recent PDR reading details this...) From reading the many Threads and discussions about it, I can tell that I'm not the only one here who feels this way. And there is woefully inadequate online information on this subject, just as there is just about any other subject worth studying in detail.

I am going to propose something that I rarely do: step out of my box and actually study a book. Summer is the perfect time.

So Memorial Day Weekend (end of May) is as good a start up date as any. That's 16 weeks. This will give us time to get our textbooks (yes, we need to have the same one) and read up a bit before we start.

What about this one?

http://store.innertraditions.com/isbn/978-0-89281-085-7;jsessionid=DAB4587B4F688CFEE8AFEEA183644094

Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk also have copies as well. Personally. I would be wary of the used additions as you want to make sure you get the CD. Because this book comes with one; so it would be a great textbook for us to study by and software to practice with.

And, this synopsis is quite intriguing: "Vedic astrology was codified by the ancient Maharishis to help people achieve the four basic goals of human existence: kama (desire), artha (wealth), dharma (life purpose), and moksha (spiritual growth)."

If you are interested in yoga this may also appeal to you as well.

So, who's interested?

This can be a discussion Thread and a Sign -up Thread, too, until we start the actual book study.

Thanks for reading!

Minderwiz
14-02-2011, 02:05
We are short of Vedic Astrologers and it would certainly help to get a Vedic dimension on some of our discussions.

So I do hope that you pick up a group who will be interested

NamasteIndia
15-02-2011, 22:48
i would be interested but i dont have that book.

I like the book by Komilla Sutton
http://www.komilla.com/pages/orderVedicBook.html

I like her approach to vedic astrology and the book is a beginners guide

do let me know what you think

Minderwiz
15-02-2011, 23:22
I have the same book too. Komilla Sutton is highly respected in this field.

Aulruna
15-02-2011, 23:53
So far, I don't have more than a blurry idea of Vedic Astrology, but I always wanted to gather some knowledge, so this might be a fruitful endeavour.

Are newbies ok, or are you looking for more seasoned participants, FK?

NamasteIndia
16-02-2011, 00:48
and my english is also poor the language level used in the book is very high then i have to refer dictionary which becomes boring for me
so i prefer simple english book like Komilla's being a Indian settled in UK her language level is much easier to follow.

Minderwiz
16-02-2011, 00:58
So far, I don't have more than a blurry idea of Vedic Astrology, but I always wanted to gather some knowledge, so this might be a fruitful endeavour.

Are newbies ok, or are you looking for more seasoned participants, FK?

I think we're all newbies (to a large extent) when it comes to a Vedic approach.

Fire Cat
16-02-2011, 01:17
If you guys already have better book then let's use that one!

And we are all noobs here, so welcome to the club.

Aulruna
16-02-2011, 03:00
Excellent :D

I'm a bookaholic. I ordered both of them.

NamasteIndia
16-02-2011, 03:05
If you guys already have better book then let's use that one!

And we are all noobs here, so welcome to the club.
i liked the book you suggested i was reading the excerpt very nice example of Ken's marriage is given.

I truly agree when planets combine with each other after marriage they can make or break a person.

I will try to get this book also

Fire Cat
16-02-2011, 20:19
So far we have:

Fire Cat
Minderwiz
Aulruna
NamasteIndia
Libra8ca

Are we using both books or the Sutton one?

I really like the idea of the software package that comes with the Bloomfield, so I will probably get both.

We may want to start memorizing the Indian names for the planets, at least, and perhaps the houses and or signs names? Just a thought...

Fire Cat
16-02-2011, 20:39
NamasteIndia, when I open your Word document, none of the columns seem to align correctly, making it nearly impossible to decipher which names fall in which columns.

Thought you should know...

NamasteIndia
17-02-2011, 03:21
So far we have:

Fire Cat
Aulruna
NamasteIndia
Minderwiz

Are we using both books or the Sutton one?

I really like the idea of the software package that comes with the Bloomfield, so I will probably get both.

We may want to start memorizing the Indian names for the planets, at least, and perhaps the houses and or signs names? Just a thought...
I have the Parashara Light Software which is supposed to be the best s/w for vedic astrology

NamasteIndia
17-02-2011, 03:21
NamasteIndia, when I open your Word document, none of the columns seem to align correctly, making it nearly impossible to decipher which names fall in which columns.

Thought you should know...
sorry for that
i have changed the document
i have many such documents i will upload them from time to time.

Libra8ca
17-02-2011, 03:29
I'd be interested in participating too. However, I don't have a lot of time to devote to this but I have studied Vedic Astrology on my own quite a bit so this should not be too difficult. I already have tons of books on it and I'm pretty familiar with the terms. I have Komilla Sutton's book but not the other one.
Maybe someone should have a look at this book (How to Practise Vedic Astrology) first before deciding to go with it just to see how it's written. (just a suggestions).

Fire Cat
17-02-2011, 09:09
I will probably buy both books.

Welcome, Libra8ca!

And thank you Namasteindia :D

Aulruna
23-02-2011, 18:32
My Bloomfield has arrived, and also Astrology of the Seers by Fawley (which I got because it is one of very few books on Vedic Astrology that is available in German). Still waiting for Sutton.

WyrdRaven
02-03-2011, 09:30
I'm interested too! So far I have Vedic Astrology by Ronnie Dreyer and Beneath a Vedic Sky by William Levacy. I definitely want to get the books you've listed in the links. (The software that came with BaVS was very limited).

May
02-03-2011, 19:18
Thanks for initiating this!

I'm in too... My dad knows astrology so we can get his expert views from time to time if required.

I've tried learning earlier with little luck, will be more committed working with a group.

Fire Cat
02-03-2011, 20:32
Welcome WyrdRaven & May!

Other points-of-view are certainly welcome. And we aren't discrediting or discounting other sources by any means. The textbook by Sutton (http://www.komilla.com/pages/orderVedicBook.html=http://www.komilla.com/pages/orderVedicBook.html), that NamasteIndia suggests, is simply the study guide we will be using, as a matter of having common ground and a jumping-off point for our book-study discussions.

As I had mentioned, I was interested in getting the other book for its software, but the Parashara software seems to be a better fit, as well.

Here is our updated list:

Fire Cat
Minderwiz
Aulruna
NamasteIndia
Libra8ca
WyrdRaven
May
aranaose

Please let me know if I've skipped anyone.

Libra8ca
03-03-2011, 08:47
The textbook by Sutton (http://www.komilla.com/pages/orderVedicBook.html=http://www.komilla.com/pages/orderVedicBook.html), that NamasteIndia suggests, is simply the study guide we will be using, as a matter of having common ground and a jumping-off point for our book-study discussions.

Komilla's book is pretty good and I won't need to buy it since I already have it ;)
I also have "Beneath a Vedic Sky" mentioned by WyrdRaven and found the software that came with it pretty useless; it's basically a demo software.

I do all my charts using the software on www.astro.com. I prefer the Western wheel-type chart over the Indian square charts. After all I did start out with Western astrology ;) With this type of chart I find that it's much easier to look at transits and aspects (I guess I'm a visual type). I have it set where one sign = 30 degrees; this way it's easier to see aspects.

To do an Indian chart you have to select "Hindu/Lahiri geocentric (sidereal)" as the zodiac type when displaying a chart. The sign on the ascendant is the first house and the next sign is the second house etc. The website allows users to save up to 100 charts for free which is plenty for a beginner.

To do the Indian style charts and dasha calculations etc. I have the software "Jagannatha Hora 7.0" installed on my computer. It's available for free on the internet: http://www.vedicastrologer.org/jh/ (Looks like I don't have the latest version but mine works fine for me :| I find it really user-friendly and you can do just about any calculation imaginable in Indian astrology. With my version, I have to enter the longitude / latitude manually for births that are not in the list of displayed cities.

WyrdRaven
03-03-2011, 09:56
Thanks for the software and website info, Libra8ca! I will check on the possibilities for installation (this computer I'm using isn't mine). Just ordered a copy of the Sutton book and also, because I couldn't help myself, a copy of Light on Life to keep it company! Really looking forward to this!

Fire Cat
03-03-2011, 10:41
I have been using the Hindi/Lahric on astro.com. Does this give us the same information in the more familiar "Western wheel" format? If that's the case then perhaps we could forgo the extra software and use astro.com's as a common reference?

Libra8ca
03-03-2011, 10:58
I have been using the Hindi/Lahric on astro.com. Does this give us the same information in the more familiar "Western wheel" format? If that's the case then perhaps we could forgo the extra software and use astro.com's as a common reference?

Hi Fire Cat,
you can do a basic Vedic chart on astro.com using the Hindi/Lahiri zodiac. To interpret the chart you just need to know that one sign = one house in Vedic astrology and you start counting from the Ascendant / first house.

However, Vedic Astrology also uses planetary periods called dashas in forecasting and you need a Vedic software to do those calculations. There are also other calculations such as "Ashtagakarga" where points are assigned to each house to determine strength. Another important chart is the "Navamsa" chart which is a 9th harmonic chart derived from the natal chart. It's helpful to have software to do all those calculations ;)..... I'd say for a beginner you only need a natal chart, the dasha calculations and maybe the Navamsa chart.

ETA: the Jagannatha Hora Lite software can do all those calculations and many more and it's free. There are other free calculators on the web but I've found the J. Hora Lite software to be one of the easiest to use and you can install it on your computer.

May
03-03-2011, 16:27
Thanks Fire Cat

Komilla's book is out of stock in the stores around me. I've requested for it and hope it will be here soon. I do have some other books to refer to in the meantime.

Welcome WyrdRaven & May!

Other points-of-view are certainly welcome. And we aren't discrediting or discounting other sources by any means. The textbook by Sutton (http://www.komilla.com/pages/orderVedicBook.html=http://www.komilla.com/pages/orderVedicBook.html), that NamasteIndia suggests, is simply the study guide we will be using, as a matter of having common ground and a jumping-off point for our book-study discussions.

As I had mentioned, I was interested in getting the other book for its software, but the Parashara software seems to be a better fit, as well.

Fire Cat
Minderwiz
Aulruna
NamasteIndia
Libra8ca
WyrdRaven
May

Please let me know if I've skipped anyone.

I will need a lot of help with charts. I understand the Indian square charts and yet feel I'll be more comfortable with the western way of drawing a wheel. It just seems so much easier to look at.

Fire Cat
03-03-2011, 19:53
Thanks for the info, Libra8ca. We like "free"!

May: The study group doesn't start until the last weekend in May (Memorial Day Weekend in the States) so hopefully that will leave us plenty of time to prepare our materials.

NamasteIndia
04-03-2011, 16:33
www.astrojyoti.com is a good site with lot of info about vedic history, mantras, remedies to reduce negative effects of planets, sanskrit stotras for listening and other related info's

Fire Cat
11-03-2011, 21:12
I found some "basics" that we could be looking at on Sutton's homepage:

http://www.komilla.com/pages/Column-July.html

It is the first time I have seen Mithun/Gemini on the cusp of my July 17th birthday. (Part of the reason I am getting more into Vedic astrology is that I feel more closely in-tune with being a Gemini lately.)

The info if you scroll down is outdated, though.

But, the working link for the Sutton book is now here:

The one provided above is defunct.

Libra8ca
12-03-2011, 02:43
It is the first time I have seen Mithun/Gemini on the cusp of my July 17th birthday. (Part of the reason I am getting more into Vedic astrology is that I feel more closely in-tune with being a Gemini lately.)

I too find the vedic signs more accurate than the western ones. In western astrology my ascendant is Cancer but in vedic astrology my ascendant is Gemini which I find describes me much better.

I also like the following website for vedic astrology: www.galacticcenter.org

This website used to have all information for free but now you have to pay for some of the content :(. However, it looks like the beginner lessons are still free if you sign up with the website.

I have her book "Eastern Astrology for Western Minds" which is one of my favorite vedic astrology books but I think it's not suitable for a total beginner. I like reading the astrological analysis on this website but don't like some of the spritual stuff.

Minderwiz
12-03-2011, 04:51

I too find the vedic signs more accurate than the western ones. In western astrology my ascendant is Cancer but in vedic astrology my ascendant is Gemini which I find describes me much better.

Be careful here, don't go by Modern Western Astrological sign meanings, in any way - You can't be in tune with being a Gemini, in a Western sense with the Vedic sign, of 'Gemini' there's no personality implied in the latter, just like the situation in Hellenistic, Medieval and Seventeenth Century Western Astrolog. The modern Western descriptions are themselves the product of late nineteenth, early twentieth century Theosophical Astrologers and would not have been recognised in by a traditional Western Astrologer.

And to be fair, even Modern Astrologers all recognise that no one sign characterises a person.

I'm not trying to defend modern sign meanings, they're one of the reasons I abandoned the modern approach but we should realise that ALL those sign meanings have to be jettisoned. whether they appeal to our self image or not.

dadsnook2000
12-03-2011, 05:55
Yes, you bad signs, go away and don't come back on the next rainy day --- to mis-use an old children's saying. Both Minderwiz and I recognize that "signs" are not what they used to be, or what they need to be.

If astrologers merely limited themselves, as many joytish-vedic astrologers do, to characterizing a planet as having F-E-A-W and C-F-M qualities instead of throwing paragraphs of glib character descriptions around, astrology would be much clearer to communicate with. Dave

Fire Cat
12-03-2011, 23:29
I didn't mean to imply that I was interested in solely what sign my Sun is in, especially as far as blanket "personality traits" go. But it will be helpful in other areas when choosing a Significator; for example "Mercury" as opposed to "Moon or "Jupiter" in horary astrology or for tarot.

astroandtarot
09-05-2011, 09:10
I would like to form a Vedic Astrology study group. After recent developments and considerations in my personal life, I have come to the realization that sidereal or Vedic astrology is the way to go for me! (recent PDR reading details this...) From reading the many Threads and discussions about it, I can tell that I'm not the only one here who feels this way. And there is woefully inadequate online information on this subject, just as there is just about any other subject worth studying in detail.

I am going to propose something that I rarely do: step out of my box and actually study a book. Summer is the perfect time.

So Memorial Day Weekend (end of May) is as good a start up date as any. That's 16 weeks. This will give us time to get our textbooks (yes, we need to have the same one) and read up a bit before we start.

What about this one?

http://store.innertraditions.com/isbn/978-0-89281-085-7;jsessionid=DAB4587B4F688CFEE8AFEEA183644094

Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk also have copies as well. Personally. I would be wary of the used additions as you want to make sure you get the CD. Because this book comes with one; so it would be a great textbook for us to study by and software to practice with.

And, this synopsis is quite intriguing: "Vedic astrology was codified by the ancient Maharishis to help people achieve the four basic goals of human existence: kama (desire), artha (wealth), dharma (life purpose), and moksha (spiritual growth)."

If you are interested in yoga this may also appeal to you as well.

So, who's interested?

This can be a discussion Thread and a Sign -up Thread, too, until we start the actual book study.

Thanks for reading!

I am interested in Vedic as well.. i found it to be very accurate .

astroandtarot
09-05-2011, 09:15
Hi Fire Cat,
you can do a basic Vedic chart on astro.com using the Hindi/Lahiri zodiac. To interpret the chart you just need to know that one sign = one house in Vedic astrology and you start counting from the Ascendant / first house.

However, Vedic Astrology also uses planetary periods called dashas in forecasting and you need a Vedic software to do those calculations. There are also other calculations such as "Ashtagakarga" where points are assigned to each house to determine strength. Another important chart is the "Navamsa" chart which is a 9th harmonic chart derived from the natal chart. It's helpful to have software to do all those calculations ;)..... I'd say for a beginner you only need a natal chart, the dasha calculations and maybe the Navamsa chart.

ETA: the Jagannatha Hora Lite software can do all those calculations and many more and it's free. There are other free calculators on the web but I've found the J. Hora Lite software to be one of the easiest to use and you can install it on your computer.

where can you get Jagannatha Hora Lite software ?

Fire Cat
10-05-2011, 11:02
where can you get Jagannatha Hora Lite software ?

Welcome astroandtarot!

I believe all the download information is here:
http://www.vedicastrologer.org/jh/#getit

This is the book we will be studying:

aranarose
10-05-2011, 12:23
I would like to join in on this as well. I'll be ordering both the books mentioned later this week, so should get them in time to start!

astroandtarot
10-05-2011, 12:25
Welcome astroandtarot!

I believe all the download information is here:
http://www.vedicastrologer.org/jh/#getit

This is the book we will be studying:

when the study group start?

Fire Cat
10-05-2011, 20:12
Hello and welcome, aranarose!

We are starting Memorial Day weekend, May 28th, astroandtarot.

I can only really afford the Komilla book. I am spoiling myself with a Summer reading list, and this is one of the books that is one it.

I think what may work best is if we start Threads, one for studying each chapter. As we go along we can look at each other's charts and perhaps start additional Threads for practice readings.

astroandtarot
14-05-2011, 10:51
Fire Cat
i think i will withdraw for now. I am taking too many study and i think i am pushing it ..lol.
i dont think i will have time to read everything .

Vedic Astrology is one of my interest among many others.

May be one day i will have more time to tap into this.

thank you .

Tina

May
14-05-2011, 13:57
I think what may work best is if we start Threads, one for studying each chapter. As we go along we can look at each other's charts and perhaps start additional Threads for practice readings.

I finally found out that im recieving this book next week. I think chapter classification of thread should work and if more detailed study is required on a certain topic we could start a special thread in between.

Practice readings i think will be more required for learning.

May

Fire Cat
14-05-2011, 21:07
Hi, May. Those are excellent ideas and thoughts.

I ordered my book yesterday (payday, whoo-hoo!) but I am not sure when it will get here. No word yet.

Our start date is May 28th. Hopefully my book will be here by then.

Fire Cat
16-05-2011, 03:34
My book should be on its way shortly! Amazon has a pending debit posted to my account. This means that the item is scheduled for delivery :D (amazon won't bill until the seller ships). Yay!

May
16-05-2011, 03:38
My book should be on its way shortly! Amazon has a pending debit posted to my account. This means that the item is scheduled for delivery :D (amazon won't bill until the seller ships). Yay!

Thats fantastic fire cat! I'm waiting to get hands on my book and get started

Fire Cat
17-05-2011, 20:07
Grrr. No longer "pending" but the sale didn't go through either, so... This means it was probably cancelled; however no email yet.

There are plenty of sellers with this book, but I don't want to spend $30.

I am going to get this book come hell or high water!

Okay, rant over.

Fire Cat
30-05-2011, 22:16
I know we were supposed to start this weekend, but I am still waiting on my book :neutral: I ordered it over two weeks ago. I figured it would be here by now but the seller is less than reliable, I suppose.

Fire Cat
01-06-2011, 11:08
The book arrived today! I will be reading the first few chapters over the next few days and posting some thoughts on chapter 1 in a separate thread.

Is everyone ready?

Libra8ca
01-06-2011, 12:27
I'm ready :) This should be interesting. I have, until now, studied Vedic Astrology by myself so I'm curious about other people's input.

WyrdRaven
02-06-2011, 13:48
I'm ready too, book in hand, looking forward to our group experience!

Aulruna
04-06-2011, 01:30
Ready in terms of having the book, yes :)

Dancing Bear
04-06-2011, 09:35
Just saw this thread, i love vedic astrology..
I have no books though, and have no money spare to buy the book at the mo, Just bought another deck. oops!!
I will follow this thread with interest and when the coffers fill up again i will get the book and join in..

looking forward to following this thread :D

Dancing Bear
04-06-2011, 10:22
To do the Indian style charts and dasha calculations etc. I have the software "Jagannatha Hora 7.0" installed on my computer. It's available for free on the internet: http://www.vedicastrologer.org/jh/ (Looks like I don't have the latest version but mine works fine for me :| I find it really user-friendly and you can do just about any calculation imaginable in Indian astrology. With my version, I have to enter the longitude / latitude manually for births that are not in the list of displayed cities.

with this site, do i download all of the zip files?
which one is the actual program?

Fire Cat
04-06-2011, 10:43
I am going to be posting a Thread in the morning after I read chapter one and we'll take it from there. I will post the link in this Thread.

I am on EST.

Fire Cat
04-06-2011, 10:46
with this site, do i download all of the zip files?
which one is the actual program?
Hi Dancing Bear!

You don't need to download all the files; you just need to choose one. I downloaded the "3.8 MB All calculations" version with no problems.

Scroll down to the bottom where you see all the boxes and you can tell what I'm talking about.

re: http://www.vedicastrologer.org/jh/

May
04-06-2011, 20:24
I am ready too... Cant wait to begin!

Fire Cat
04-06-2011, 23:15
Chapter One Study Group:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=2757364

Fire Cat
Minderwiz
Aulruna
NamasteIndia
Libra8ca
WyrdRaven
May
aranarose

Please let me know if I skipped anyone.

Fire Cat
21-06-2011, 07:34
I wanted to post here for an update. I wasn't quite ready to move forward with the second chapter this weekend as I am under great deal of stress at the moment because of upcoming testing (tomorrow, finally!!!) and other personal issues.

Later in the week I will comb through Chapter Two and post some thoughts on it. I will post a link to the study thread here, as I did with the first chapter.

Thank you to those who are participating and I look forward to more thoughts in the coming months!