What kind of Crustacean is on the Moon Card?

lucifall

On XVIII, the Moon, a crustacean is crawling out of the water. It looks like a crab.
In the PKT Waite named the dog, the Wolf, but not the crustacean. He even calls it nameless.

“The dog, the wolf and that which comes up out of the deeps, the nameless and hideous tendency which is lower than the savage beast. It strives to attain manifestation, symbolized by crawling from the Abyss of water to the land, but as a rule it sinks back whence it came”

Sinks back whence it came… Does this Crustacean swim in more waters of the tarot?
on XIII, Scorpio, where we are invited to cross the river and enter the cave on the other side of the river (follow the arrow). The pool, we find on Temperance , The Star. Cards where a male and female Angel are mixing. This travel ends in The Pool on the Moon in the Twilight-Zone, where the crustacean is crawling from the Abyss of water to the land.
This travel started on XIII Scorpio.

The tarot of Saint Germain is pictured in the book Practical Astrology by Comte de Saint Germain. First published in 1901 in Chicago, probably the first American book containing Tarot images.
In this tarot the Moon card is pictured with a Scorpio.
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/1991/fc13004fdf147b4f2a81553.gif

the accompanying text is as follows:
“ARCANE XVIII. (TS = 90.) THE TWILIGHT .Two pyramids stand on the edge of a road; in front of them two dogs howl at the moon; below, a scorpion is seen. One of the pyramids is white and is the emblem of True Science; the other pyramid is black and is the symbol of Error. The two dogs represent Good and Evil, and the scorpion is the emblem of Perversity, the worst feature of vice”

The worst feature of Vice of St Germain and the nameless and hideous tendency which is lower than the savage beast of Waite.

Was Waite familiar with this book of Comte de Saint Germain?
Why did he not name the Crustacean?
What Crustacean is this?
What hides this Crustacean?

Luci

re-pete-a

In the RWS MOON the pool of water is representative of the waters of the mind and from which the hidden emerges into the light. Perhaps a craw fish ,seeing as Pixie was in America for a while. She certainly hasn't seen too many of them regardless of species. The legs sprout from all sorts of places.

gregory

I have always assumed it was a crayfish. (And we have them in the UK as well, as far as I know...)

A scorpion - unless there is such a thing as a water scorpion - would die in the water, I think.

Le Fanu

Crayfish. The one on the Gumppenberg/Soprafino looks more like a crayfish than the one on the RWS tbh.

always between water and land, like the mind flitting between the conscious and the unconscious (that's what I'd learnt)

brightcrazystar

I grew up in Lousiana, only ones I saw were crawfish. They taste good.

Which one is pictured is not useful. They are all Qlippoth to the Jew, After the Waters of Qoph pour down to quench the fires of Shin the dry path reveals the Hollow Ones, The Shells are revealed in the dry bed of the Mutable Water of Pisces. They are not to be eaten, not because they are evil. But because they serve a sacred purpose, to allow man to be as god upon earth by using them with love under will. By exposing the demons of your subconcious, you are obligated to use them, or you have done nothing of use.

My Adepts have their Heads above the Heavens (Aleph and Beth) and their feet below the hells (Qoph and Shin). Air Fire Water, and by inferred directing power of the Magus, these become the veil of Matter which allows for the possibility of Earth. But Earth is not a mother letter. This is why Beth is called the Father letter. Fire and Air are Archetypal, Water is mutable and reactionary. It is under the precedence of Jupiter because it has to necessarily bridge the gap of the abyss and find purchase in Chesed. It has to be aligned to Jupiter to cross the Path of Gimel in a way that Zain cannot.

The Hollow Qlippoth, or will only heed your word when you accomplish the Marriage of the Sun and Moon. This is the way of true Initiation. You inspire the Kleshas, or Qlippoth to seek the Light. They arise from the Guph, which is below Malkuth. They emerge from the Sha'ar, Malkuth, The Gate. The waters of this creation, even as we emerged from Waters of Creation ourself. Note how nothing with legs in the ocean, or a hoof cloven to become a phalange can be eaten by the covenant of the Jew.

Note, this is not the same as the EMPTY Qlippoth, which are but husks... but sometimes, it is hard to tell the difference. If you think the Qlippoth are all to be avoided, like The First Order is told, go pick up a seashell.

gregory

brightcrazystar said:
I grew up in Lousiana, only ones I saw were crawfish. They taste good.
Same thing, different name is all.

lucifall

gregory said:
Same thing, different name is all.
That could be a pausible reason for Waite, not to name the "Crayfish/Crab"
They all are connected with Cancer. And the Moon is the ruler of Cancer.

The reason for my question was the Scorpio on the St Germain, that confused me. As scorpio's fore-claws(?) have 4 particles, and the cray-fish 3 particles. The one Pam pictured has 4.
Could a union of the crab/crayfish of Cancer with the Scorpio (as the crustacean looks like a crayfish with 4 particles as the Scorpion has)
could be possible? The foreclaws are on land, where the Scorpio lives.
A union of Cardinal Cancer and Fixed Scorpio on the Mutable Pisces? All water signs, ruled by the Moon, the Name of the Card?

There exists water-scorpions, but as insect by the way.

Luci

Laura Borealis

I wouldn't assume it's based on a real-life creature. More likely, Pixie used the one on earlier decks as a model. The crustacean on the Marseilles is also ambiguous (but looks more crayfish than crab... though depending on the species it could be a lobster).

ETA: I'm speaking of the art of course, not of the symbolism.

brightcrazystar

Most of the animals in the Arcanum dei Tarot are ambiguious. What breed is the Rider's Horse on Death? They are necessarily illustrated as such because their meaning is primordial, before species. This is life crawling onto earth from the waters as the earth was raised upon the waters. Looks like a mudbug, or crawfish, or lobster.

Laura Borealis

...or the artist wasn't very skilled. :p

Compare the crustacean on the Soprafino. Della Rocca was a skilled artist and his depiction is unambiguous. It looks as if he had an actual (and cooked!) crawfish in front of him as he drew it. Pamela Colman Smith's is an improvement over the Marseilles-type crawfish, but is similar enough to it that I believe she based it on the earlier card rather than drawing from life.

Attachments

• laluna_dellarocca.jpg
    laluna_dellarocca.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 717
  • crawfish.jpg
    crawfish.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 662