Removing a card?

Gia

Without going into detail...I just opened a deck that is new for me and one of the cards is...not suitable for reading with my clients...it's sexually graphic.
(Please don't ask the deck or the image, I don't want this to be a discussion about that...)
I've always used decks in their entirety...but I am VERY inclined to remove this one card from the deck to give readings...how do you feel about using an incomplete deck? Do you think it will affect my readings?

PathWalker

Looking at the given meanings of the card - would you feel that you could give good and well-rounded readings without that card and it's meanings?

If yes, then I'd feel free to take it out if you don't want to use it - the deck, and it's abilities, are yours :)

GryffinSong

What Pathwalker said. It's your deck, and it has to feel right for you and your purposes.

DownwardSpiral

"Do you think it will affect my readings?"

Not any more than if you leave it in and then are uncomfortable having it show up in a reading.

Gia

DownwardSpiral said:
"Do you think it will affect my readings?"

Not any more than if you leave it in and then are uncomfortable having it show up in a reading.

REALLY good point! Thank you everyone...very sage advice!!! Much appreciated!

Gia

Sorry...computer hiccup!

Gia

Sorry...computer hiccup!

Gia

Sorry...computer hiccup!

brightcrazystar

I would look at the meanings, and see why they used explicit imagery. If it is only one card, what were they trying to convey? Did they succeed? Is this card ancillary to the deck, or primary? Is the deck stratified into Arcanum like Tarot? Reading without a topless Fool would be much different than reading without a pip or court card.

If it is good cause, then censor the image, and use it as a commentary on the hangups of our society, and change it's meaning in the context. " I have had sitters giggle when they see this but it is generally very accurate. It often helps to censor it with an image that means the same thing. "The Venus in Furs" model, esentially. A little clothing goes a long way toward making something sexier sometime, if that was the intent.

If they just included the imagery to be shocking, I would prolly bench the whole deck and use something else for other people's readings, or use the cards I like from the deck for frankendecking experiments. Some people REALLY get certain ideas, but their ultimate vision manifests imbalanced, in my opinion because they still have inner work to do.

If there was any reason I read without a FULL oracle, I would tell anyone I read for. Too many equations are incomplete without a critical part of being alive included in them, especially like sexuality. They deserve to know you are not addressing a specific subject. You can, of course, read like that, but it is with a obvious blinder on (if the oracle is structured soundly).

That is my opinon, and my general guidance for practice.

Gia

Thank you for your opinion and well thought out beliefs on the subject. The deck is VERY much a series of 'beings' that represent different aspects...the 'offending' one won't be missed...there is no major/minor feel to the deck at all...it is just shockingly in bad taste.