PDA

View Full Version : Working with Amber

minrice
25-02-2011, 05:20
Do any of you have experience working with Amber? I just bought a lovely piece of unprocessed amber and am looking forward to working with it. I hear it enhances spells and any space it is in, is that found to be true? And what do you like to use Amber best for?

minrice
25-02-2011, 05:30
Here are some pix!

Alta
25-02-2011, 06:26
I have never seen unfinished amber before. Cool!

Apollonia
25-02-2011, 06:33
Wow, what a lovely piece of amber! I like amber for its calming properties. I have a tendency to get anxious at times, and when I put on my amber necklace, it's like having a trusted friend tell me everything is going to be all right.

MCsea
25-02-2011, 19:32
beautiful photos! i only have polished amber - yours looks stunning

Alta
25-02-2011, 22:02
I have a polished amber sphere and it is just a delight to handle. There is something warming and friendly about it.

minrice
26-02-2011, 08:04
Thanks everyone. I agree, it is warm and inviting. I haven't worked with it too much yet, though I would like to.

minrice
24-04-2011, 07:34
So I was working with this piece the other night and thought I would share. Perhaps some insights if you have any would be appreciated as well!

I was just meditating with my piece of Amber, I had come from a class/ritual about Freyja that evening and had learned that amber is associated with this goddess. So I came home and was just loosely meditating on what I had learned, and what I saw, and I felt my hands pulsate.

You know when you hold your crystal in your hands, or on your heart, and you can feel it pulsating with you? Well it was doing that and the amber began to crackle. It was cracking. And I had an oh my god is it going to hatch? moment for a second, which logically I knew wasn't true but still I was so surprised. It crackled a little more and then was silent. Another visible crack is in it that formed so I know I wasn't just imagining it.

Have you had crystals crack while holding them? Is it the energy?

thintelligent
06-05-2011, 06:33
I have a piece of raw amber that I use for meditation.

peaceandkarma
17-05-2011, 11:01
Would Amber have a grounding effect as it was once part of a tree? I only have a little piece of Amber, but it has a little insect in it.

tarotlyn
17-05-2011, 12:11
:heart::) I have had some experience with it as in making many different types of jewelry with it.

When I used to do this Indian type of beading, I found the holes in some amber
beads I had, were too small, so I just heated a 'large, large' needle type tool I had,
over a flame and then holding the needle with jewelry type pliers, I would push
this very hot needle into the amber pe-drilled hole and it would mush out of the
hole and make the hole big enough for my Indian sineu to go through. It always
smelled like pine or trees.

Also, the properties I learned were:
Amber attracts a romantic relationship and love. (great if you are single! LOL)

Also, there is a way to see if a piece of amber is REAL or not, by placing the piece
in a bowl or cup of SALT water and seeing if it floats.
(a lot of people are make fake amber, so be careful guys)...

Here is an excellent article with TONS of info for you about amber:
http://www.dragonflyamber.com/choosing_amber/pop_how_to_identify_real_amber.html

I do love amber!
(this reminds me: thank you :heart: MoonGypsy, Sis, for my beautiful amber pin/pendant
and beautiful earrings you gifted me! I love those and wear them often
...maybe that is why I attracted a new boyfriend last year :bugeyed: )
:heart:tarotlyn

ETA: Amber IS originally tree sap

tarotlyn
19-05-2011, 06:05
OMG!!! I just now looked at your images!!! WOW that is a HUGE piece of amber!!! :bugeyed:

Have you tested it yet to see if it floats in salt water? (shows it is a real piece of amber)

...because if it is real, that is WORTH a LOT of bucks!... very valuable piece!!!

anyone that has bought amber jewelry can tell you that! :)

Where, may I ask, did you get that?

:heart: tarotlyn

minrice
01-07-2011, 00:07
Hi Tarotlyn! Sorry it took me so long to respond to this, I haven't been on the forum much!

I got this piece at my local metaphysical shop. Such a GREAT shop, very reputable. It is real amber, from the Chesapeake bay. They sell it raw like that and you buy it by the ounce :) Thank you for the notes on amber you posted!

moonbear
24-02-2012, 16:55
Just found a pair of amber earrings I didn't know I had whilst rummaging around in the junk on top of my chest of drawers :) I'd forgotten how lovely amber is. And although my earrings are tiny the amber is full of character. And warm to the touch. I even did the static test with some dust on my desk (not hard finding dust in my house lol) and watched fascinated as a whole load of particles stuck to the little bits of amber!
Magic stuff. I'm going to wear them during the day. Rather nice being linked to trees that grew eons ago.

Melisandre
24-02-2012, 22:31
Wow, what a lovely piece of amber! I like amber for its calming properties. I have a tendency to get anxious at times, and when I put on my amber necklace, it's like having a trusted friend tell me everything is going to be all right.

Amber affects me much the same as it does you, Apollonia. I have anxiety issues as well, to the point where I've been prescribed Xanax a few times over the years, during very stressful periods (i.e., receiving threats from an ex-boyfriend, and serious illness). Since I've had my amber piece, however, I've basically replaced any need for Xanax with the amber. It's calming and it helps me to stay focused on the positives, even when I'm seriously anxious. I used to have mild panic attacks from time to time, too, but the amber also seems to have helped me keep those at bay.

nikkipeachy
24-02-2012, 22:47
I love amber! I've never had a large piece like that, but my kids and I wear amber jewelry. The analgesic properties are wonderful,especially for my teething 1 year old. It is also calming for us. It has been so helpful, I am actually getting ready to order more amber jewelry.

That piece is amazing! I hope you find it very useful.

Sulis
24-02-2012, 22:58
Wow, that piece of amber is gorgeous!

Amber used to be called Elektron by the ancient Greeks because it becomes electronically charged when rubbed with a cloth. They also thought it was made by the sun.

I've never worked with amber but I do wear amber jewellery quite often. I find it very calming.

Hemera
25-02-2012, 02:00
Have you tested it yet to see if it floats in salt water? (shows it is a real piece of amber) Wow I have never heard of this. This is a lot better way than the one that I know of: that if your burn/heat amber from you can smell if itīs plastic or resin. But who would want to burn her amber :bugeyed: I know I donīt. However, there are lots of forgeries in the market at least around here near the Baltic Sea. (Itīs just too easy to put tiny insects in yellowish liquid plastic and let it solidify..)