~New~Celtic Wisdom Oracle

dvorah ophir

hi bodhran

this deck intrigues me too. i found that on book depository you can get it for 18 or 27 dolars, but was unable to tell what the difference was between the decks.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/sea...e&search=<SPAN><EM>Find&nbsp;book</EM></SPAN>
and isbn for each offer
ISBN 13: 9781907486791 ISBN 10: 1907486798 for the 27.34 dolar one
ISBN 13: 9781907486753 ISBN 10: 1907486755 for the 18.58 one.
both seem to have the cards so i dont know what could be the diference. the one that costs more must have more stuff with it but it seems to me that i would buy the cheeper one.
not yet - i have been spending too much lately . but with time...
tell us if and when you get them what your oppinions are about them.
thanks dvorah

oak_woman

I have pre-ordered this deck from Book Depository :)

To begin with, the UK and American published versions were different prices, and I think this is because printed goods are generally less expensive in the USA. I believe the product itself will be exactly the same, in the same way that the UK and USA versions of Caitlin Matthews' Celtic Wisdom Tarot are exactly the same, even though the outer boxes and the covers of the hardback books are different from each other.

In the last couple of days, BD have adjusted the prices so that both versions are practically identically-priced (just 1p difference!). I have pre-ordered the UK published version, just because I'm in the UK and had to make some sort of decision!

And I'm looking forward to receiving it!

BodhiSeed

Looking forward to your review of this interesting looking deck, Oak_Woman!
Thanks for the heads-up that the Book Depository carries this, dvorah ophir.:)

Ashtaroot

Here is a quick note about the deck. It is in a beautiful sturdy box.
The cards are a good size and shiny, the drawings are nice. A hardcover book with colored pictures of the cards is tucked in the box. Also included a sun circle sheet it shows how the cards relate to each other.

The cards are 32 clan cards and 8 Divine Ancestor cards.
The 32 clan cards are your oracle.
The 8 Divine Ancestor cards asks YOU a question. It is a deck that makes you reflect back.

I haven't had enough time with it but I did the first reading suggested in chapter 1.
The way it works is that after you ask your question. You pull a card from the 8 Divine cards and keep it face down. Then you pull a card from the 32 clan cards which will be your oracle answer. At the end open the Divine Ancestor card..go to the book and look up what area your inquiry falls under.. then read the question the Divine asks YOU about your issue..

It's like the mirroring and turning the table to get to the bottom of it.

Not bad it worked well with my first issue;)

BodhiSeed

Now that sounds like a really interesting and unusual way to work with an oracle! Thanks for the review Ashtaroot!:heart:
I'm supposed to be pinching pennies right now, but I see Amazon is selling it for just a tad over $10USD. Hmmm...:D

oak_woman

Ooh, I can't wait for my copy to arrive from Book Depository :) Maybe tomorrow? Or even TODAY, since the post hasn't arrived yet })

Thanks for posting your initial impressions, Ashtaroot.

ETA: Five minutes after I posted the above - IT'S HERE!!!!!
I shall report back later :)

BodhiSeed

oak_woman said:
Ooh, I can't wait for my copy to arrive from Book Depository :) Maybe tomorrow? Or even TODAY, since the post hasn't arrived yet })

Thanks for posting your initial impressions, Ashtaroot.

ETA: Five minutes after I posted the above - IT'S HERE!!!!!
I shall report back later :)
Can't wait to get your reaction to them!:D

Can either of you (Ashtaroot or Oak_woman) tell me the approximate size of the cards?

oak_woman

Yes ... they are approximately 4 3/4 ins by 3 3/8 ins. So the impression is of relatively broad cards. The cardstock is good and the overall presentation is very high quality. One drawback I've found is that the cards will only fit into their designated slot in the box once - while the shrinkwrap is still on them! Once unwrapped, the stack is just too thick to replace without risk of damage. So, while I read through the book, I've put half the cards into the 'correct' slot and the other half into the space where the book is intended to fit.

If I end up keeping the cards in the box, I'll probably keep them like this and store the book separately next to the box on my shelf.

As to the system itself, I'll come back with a review once I've had a chance to look at it more thoroughly :)