about decks with non-illustrated Minors

tarotcognito

Question for all you savvy and sophisticated readers of decks with pips:

How do you do it? Do you simply use meanings transfered directly from a deck with illustrated Minors to your pip deck? Do you create and assign your own meanings? Do you just wing it on the fly with every single reading that you do? Do you make stuff up as you go?

I'm half tempted to try to use my Favole deck because I love its Crosses and Masks and Butterflies and Roses for the Minor suits, but the fact that I've only ever read using decks with fully-illustrated Minors is giving me a mild case of the "freakin' pox."

Help?

Thanks for sharing?

Laura Borealis

It would depend on the deck. For my Marseilles-style decks I've been working through Mel's Old Fashioned Pips & Courts method. For something like the Favole... I don't really know. Maybe a playing card reading system, once you'd decided which suit was what?

coyalxauhqui

Gail Fairfield's book "Choice Centered Tarot" - now "Everyday Tarot" - gives numerology-based meanings for pip cards, which I have been studying and really like - each has a key word and it goes in cycles of 3 which makes a lot of sense to my mathematical brain. Maybe check out a copy and see if it clicks with you?

tarotcognito

Thanks, Laura and coya, for your tips and go-to's. I checked quickly the first couple of posts on "Mel's Pips" thread, and I think there might some stuff I could use with the Favole. I'll definitely give it a good read-over because I like the idea of using pips. They just intimidate me a bit at the moment. ;)

As for Favole suit correspondence, I decided on that when I first got my deck a few months ago:

Crosses = Wands
Roses = Cups
Masks = Swords
Butterflies = Pents

nisaba

Canadian Girl said:
Question for all you savvy and sophisticated readers of decks with pips:

How do you do it?
I just ... sit down ... um ... and do it.

Canadian Girl said:
Do you simply use meanings transfered directly from a deck with illustrated Minors to your pip deck?
I have been known to do that. It certainly was a part of my learning-process.

Canadian Girl said:
Do you create and assign your own meanings?
To some extent, yes.

Canadian Girl said:
Do you just wing it on the fly with every single reading that you do?
Yep.

Canadian Girl said:
Do you make stuff up as you go?
And that's the same as the previous question, isn't it?

To me, a more sophisticated set of words for thsoe last two alternatives would be "using your intuition" <grin>.

Like you, I struggled with and eventually abandoned my decks that had unillustrated pips back in the early 1990s, after many, many years of reading. In particular, I felt I *should* read with the Marseilles I had back then because it was so historical, but I felt I couldn't get anything out of the pips (which of course meant that as long as I felt that way, I wasn't going to get anything out of them).

Then. earlier this century, along came Luigi Scapini's Stained Glass Tarot. By "came along", I mean into my area of consciousness, not my ownership. The latter took years and years. I desperately, desperately desired it. I went in and out of every bookshop and new age shop I knew, putting it on order - even or especially the ones I was doing readings in at the time. One of those was run by a Swedish woman with a teenage son, who at one stage told me she was going to take her boy to Sweden during the school holidays, and would pick it up while she was in Europe for me. She couldn't find it. Back then, I was wary of buying on the internet - I simply didn't want to give financial details to strangers at a distance. So more years went by, until I sold my ethics down the street and bought with my card from an online Tarot retailer. That opened the gateway - but that's an other story.

Before I received them, I had no idea the pips were unillustrated - highly decorated in evocative ways, but unillustrated, and that was a bit of a shock at first. But I had loved this deck for a long time, and wanted it for a long time. I'd be damned if something like unillustrated pips was going to prevent me from using it! Which meant that I had to find some system of learning how to read it. Hmmm ... And there was something else going on, too - pride. I'd already run a couple of courses on reading Tarot locally by that stage, and I damn well wasn't going to be defeated by a new deck.

So I came up with key-words for myself, firstly for the numbers: one might be origins, two might be balance, three might be movement etc. Secondly, from the suits: Pentacles might be "physical", Cups might be "emotional", and so forth. Then I looked at the moody decorations of the cards themselves and the words I'd associated with them, and came up with a single word or phrase for each of them, which I pencilled in the most minute writing imaginable on the cards, positioned so that they would simply disappear into the detail.

In reading, what I did was I used those words as well as the decorations as a "spring-board" for my intuition, leaping off into the card and using my technique, well-described elsewhere, of "putting my mouth into Automatic and starting to talk".

I suppose this deck was a gateway deck for me - I was so motivated to work out some kind of a system - even if it was one unique to me - that nothing short of a head-amputation was going to stop me reading the deck. And within a ridiculously short period of time, I was able to read with it very comfortably.

It was really only after I mastered that deck and my own idiosyncratic system for it, that I started buying decks with unillustrated pips, even though I had owned a couple of others before. I bought the Golden Dawn deck, which had associations with an old friend of mine, a variety of Viscontis, some 20th and 21st century decks with unillustrated pips like the Tarot of the Dead and other similar decks, and Sulis here gifted me with a copy of the Thoth which was lovely of her, and not a green one (I'm not drawn to the greenies), which was intuitive of her.

So I now have quite a stable of decks with unillustrated pips, none of which I would ever have been able to read, and few of which I would ever have considered owning, if it hadn't been for Scapini's deck. The fact that I was so motivated to learn to handle that one deck, opened other doors for me.

Canadian Girl said:
I'm half tempted to try to use my Favole deck because I love its Crosses and Masks and Butterflies and Roses for the Minor suits, but the fact that I've only ever read using decks with fully-illustrated Minors is giving me a mild case of the "freakin' pox."

Help?
<smile> Perhaps this deck will be your gateway deck into unillustrated pips. How much do you love it? How motivated are you? If the deck is worth the effort, the deck is worth the effort. I made up a system that works for me and is comfortable for me, but it may or may not work for you, and since it's bent to my brain-shape, it probably won't be comfortable for you.

Sit down with that deck. Decide on a way to handle it. Be consistent. Write pages of notes, or make pencilmarks on cards, whatever you need to do to open doors in your mind for those images to start to mean things to you. It *will* take time - it did take time for me with that deck. But ultimately it's worth it. As it happens, I haven't pulled that deck out in several weeks - but I love it and adore it, and I'm very grateful for it having taught me to read other unillustrated decks!

Now - get out there and have fun with your deck.

tarotcognito

nisaba, you're the best with your inspiring pep talks and in-your-face "JUST DO IT, ALREADY!!!" attitude. :grin:

Well, after looking over the Favole again last night, I was reminded that I like the symbols and feel of the pips, but most of the Majors and court cards leave me indifferent, unfortunately. Plus I really don't like card titles in my Tarot decks. Having said that, there are many other unillustrated pip decks out there. I was actually toying with the idea of getting my hands on one of the Marseilles decks, so who knows? One of them might be my gateway.

Aerin

I read Lee Bursten's book(let), the one with the Universal Marseilles Tarot, and it all made perfect sense to me.

It's a mixture of number/ element/ twiddly bits on the pips and what they mean to you in the context of the reading.

Lee Bursten is my hero :D

Inthetree

^^ what Aerin said!

I work mostly with numerology and elements, and I find that makes a pretty helpful but sufficiently wide-ranging set of interpretations :)

nisaba

Canadian Girl said:
nisaba, you're the best with your inspiring pep talks and in-your-face "JUST DO IT, ALREADY!!!" attitude. :grin:
<smile> Gosh, I didn't realise I was actually inspiring, I just prod people a little ...

Aerin said:
It's a mixture of number/ element/ twiddly bits on the pips and what they mean to you in the context of the reading.

Lee Bursten is my hero :D
<grin> And we all know the importance of Twiddly Bits. Gotta have heroes. If we didn't have heroes, there'd be nothing to motivate ourselves to improve, and we'd all grow carpet-mould.