Can your own insecurities affect a reading for another person you are reading for?

Ambience

If so how would you rectify it or know if this was happening?

Thanks x

nisaba

Absolutely they can. A Tarot deck only throws images in front of us. It is *entirely* up to us to make sense of those images. If you are not together, focussed and centred, you are not going to be able to separate yourself and your own issues or emotions from the reading, so it will at best be a nonsense to the client, because it will be all about you even if you're not aware of that.

I've been reading for strangers on and off since the early 1980s. In the late 1990s I needed to take a break of a couple of years because my own life - and therefore my head - was a mess. I didn't feel capable of reading for other people, even though the people in whose shop I was reading at the time kept saying that they still got positive feedback from my clients.

You know it's happening when you can't sit down with a client and have your enore world instantly narrow down to them and them only.

How to cope with it? In minor cases, it's easy enough to have a break, get some decent sleep and fresh air, eat pure foods and drink pure water, and generally ground yourself and focus on the client, dismissing our own concerns. Occasionally, that won't be enough, and a break might be called-for. In my case, I recognised that, and gave myself a break *before* I messed up other people's lives by giving them poor readings with inappropriate advice.

digi162

Reminds me of a Kung Fu episode about fear, where young Caine is afraid to cross a wooden plank suspended over burning acid. Simply out of fear of falling in and suffering pain due to a mistake. He is completely capable of crossing, but the situation makes him insecure, causing it to become harder for him to cross. The fear of falling in was more in focus than the task, causing him to lose balance and fall in. Then he discovers the illusion, that the acid was just hot water.

So yeah, I would agree our insecurities can affect readings we give. The only way to rectify the situation in my opinion, would be to examine the insecurities you may be feeling.

GreenMoonBeam

Ambience said:

Thanks x

Yes they can, and yes they do. Speaking from my own experiences, I often shudder when I attempt to read for someone else. I know it's happening when either a heap of cards jump out as I shuffle or when I turn them over to have a complete blank when I see the images.
I have gone thro' the 'please dont be the Devil or the Hanged Man' please and 'oh heck no reversals'.... talk about melodramatic.

To help deal with that, I ensure that I am grounded before I start the reading. I am not reading on a professional basis, let me state that. Although I handle at least one deck daily, I may not do a reading. To do a reading, I prepare the table to read on, put down a beautiful cloth, place some crystals. I then (usually) have The Green Tara mantra from youtube. I chill to that and ask for guidence.
It might seem OTT, but I enjoy the ritual. The positive energy quickly comes over me, I think.
Otherwise I lose some ability to interpet the cards.
Blessings
GMB

SunChariot

Ambience said:

Thanks x

Certainly. If you don't feel sure of yourself it will affect almost every area of your life. Reading is a lot about intuition. We feel what things mean and we go with it. Someone who feels insecure or unsure of themselves might doubt what they are feeling.

Eg where a secure reader will sense what the card means and know it's accurate and pass the on to the querent. if you feel insecure, you might sense the meaning and think "I sensed that but what if i was wrong, what if it meant this instead of that..." And by the time you're done you don't know which way is up or what's right or wrong.

To rectify it naturally enough, you have to stop feeling insecure. Much easier said than done of course but it CAN be done. If you're talking about feeling insecure as a reader, I guess one of the best ways is to just read for yoursellf only until you do feel secure as a reader. Experiment, try every which way and see what works and what doesn't just for the fun of it with no pressure of any kind. When you're sure you found some methods that work consistently for you, then you can branch out.

Also maybe try not to think of it as you alone trying to discepher the answers. Think of it as teamwork. There is another force that you are communicating with through the cards. There are many views as to what that is, but to me it's my angels. That source knows that answers and it sending them to you via the right cards coming up and via the feelings and sensations you pick up on. That source is talking to you and sending you what you need. All you have to do is listen and tell it to the querent. Your job is simply to pass on what you are told. That includes everythign you sense inside of you. As that source can and does communicate with us in that way. You just have to open up inside and follow your feelings and pass it all on. That's all. nothing else. At those times as a newbie where you might doubt you are not picking the right answers through your feelings, try to trust that that source that is connecting with you through your feelings and intuitions, knows how to plant the right feelings inside you that will tell you what you need to see. Well maybe "plant them" is not the best way to say it. But they are communicating to you through yoru feelings exaclty what you need to know. If you trust in that source and that it knows how to communciate with you ina way that you wil pick up on if you quiet your mind and listen, then it will.

As I read once in one of the "Conversations with G-d" books, G-d begins talking to Neale and Neale doubts it is real, that what he is picking up is real and from a real source. After G-d starts talking to him, he ask...How do I know it's really you and not my imagination? And the asnwer was pretty much, What would be the difference. If I wanted to talk to you I could use your imagination to get the message to you just as easily as any other method. That made sense to me anyway and helped me to trust my intuition and that it is coming from a connection from a real source.

And it's worked ever since. As a reader I am just the ears in a sense. The info is just communicated with me and I just have to quiet my mind, listen, and pass on what I am being told. I tend to senes it from the images for the most part, but all I have to do is be passive and pass on what is being told to me. It's not at all hard really, once you get the hang of it.

If you just meant if being insecure in general and not specifically as a reader can effect your readings for others. it still could and pretty well would affect those readings to some extent. Just as people who are pessimistic read VERY differently from people who are very optimistic. As readers we are not likely to see in a card anything that does not mesh with our life views. EG if I personally do not at all believe in reincarnation, I am not going to see reincarnation in someone's reading....even if that is the actual answer that is trying to get to the querent thruogh me. If I don't believe that is possible I will reject that and try to find another meaning. If you feel insecure and the querent's answer that is meant to get to them is about how totally safe we all are in life and nothing can hurt us because we are all so wonderfully protected....if that is the answer that an insecure readere is meant to give to the querent....it likely will not get passed on as such, if the reader cannot beleive that life can be that way.

How do you change that? You'd have to change your life view and that is also easier said than done. It's sometning I personally work on constantly, to beecome more and more positive and uplifting and opitimistic. But that takes work. Changing your life view is work. Then again I tend to beleive that we attact to us the querents whom we are most able to help...usually those who are in similar life situations as we are and/or have similar life views. So it all works out in the end.

I mean it's almost uncanny how 99% of the time when querents contact me for a reading I am going through the same expereince they need help with at the time. I mean is it just me or do all readers experience this? LOL

I hope I explained that well. LOL Maybe not, if not ask me and I'll explain again. But at those times that you don't feel secure as a reader, feel secure in the source that is sending you the info and that it knows how to reach you and transmit what it has to in the best ways. Really you just have to listen. And trust as much as you can in the beginning. The trust will grow with experience,

Babs

Bronwyn13

If you're in a really emotional state of mind can that make the cards show your emotional state instead of answering the question?

gregory

Do you mean if reading for someone else ? In which case I'd say no, but I think you'd recognise pretty fast that you were giving a crap reading if you were that emotional

If for yourself - I wouldn't have thought they would show your emotional state as such; they might offer you the answers they feel you need (there is another thread about exactly this - started by you, as I recall :)

Bronwyn13

Yes Greggers....I believe it was...... :-D

Bronwyn13

If I'm in a crap mood my reading have all sorts of swords and bad cards....

gregory

Bronwyn13 said:
If I'm in a crap mood my reading have all sorts of swords and bad cards....
But is this a reading for yourself or for someone else ?