Sometimes, you just need to see a deck in person

Niti

I usually buy decks online, as it is cheaper, but I stepped into a local shop yesterday that had dozens of decks on display, and my entire outlook has changed. I was thrilled at being able to feel the cardstock, shuffle the decks, and flip through all the artwork. Sadly, most of the decks - even some that have been on my wishlist for years - were leaving me cold.

One deck, however, kept grabbing my attention. It had a cheesy light purple border that was both appealing and offputting. The artwork itself wasn't my favorite (style-wise) compared to other decks on the table...yet I kept coming back to it. Every card was in line with the traditional meaning I associate with the card (a lot of modern decks veer off from this and I have trouble deciding how to read them...pure intuition or traditional meaning), the courts and majors in particular were filled with detail, and the colors were rich, varied, and mood-setting.

When I got home, I looked up the deck on aeclectic and the computerized images still didn't inspire me! Yet when I opened the deck to do a reading, they were perfect, and immediately connected with me like only 1-2 other decks in my collection have been able to.

I'm so happy. I paid more, but I never would have looked at this deck if it weren't open and available for handling. It was The Spiral Tarot btw :)

Anyone want to share similar experiences?

cardlady22

I wish there were local stores where I could do this.
But, I've gotten much the same effect by participating in the Trade Train games here on AT.

Le Fanu

It's odd this "being able to handle decks". It must be a U.S thing. I have never been to a shop where you could handle decks. You're very lucky if you can do this.

In the past they were shrink wrapped and if you were lucky you could have a flick through the store's catalogue for U.S Games or AG Muller or whateever (my local shop has that hardback LoS catalogue to flick through), but I have read in tarot books advice such as "go to a shop where they have a few samples for you to handle etc" ???

I have never seen this.

It is true that it makes a huge difference. It also works vice-versa of course. All those decks you think are wonderful and by chance you see them or decide to buy them and then hate them.

I have had loads of decks I had never thought of buying then I had a pleasant surprise when I got home. Cannot remember any right now but I know it has happened.

Flaxen

I love being able to look through decks too.

Watkins bookshop in London has a display copy of every tarot they stock so you can shuffle through and decide if you like it before you buy. Fantastic place. :)

Quester

Sadly we are not lucky enough to have a store like that anymore!! :( The one we had is greatly missed!! :heart:

Aerin

I think this is why LS brought out their wonderful Tarot Gallery book, because they knew that most small suppliers can't stock all the decks.

What I do hate is when someone has opened the deck and messed it all up without asking, so it then is not buyable. Having a display deck is great where sellers can afford to offer that service.

Le Fanu

Aerin said:
What I do hate is when someone has opened the deck and messed it all up without asking, so it then is not buyable...
Or just stolen it. I have seen Llewellyn boxes and LoS kits with the deck inside missing but with the box and book and - (lucky for the person who mistakenly buys it) an organzy bag, all intact!

SloughSister

After baptism-by-tarot a few weeks ago, I have made two trips to the city to check out five stores to look for decks. I had my AT wishlist in hand each time.

The first store - a few cards from each deck, hole punched in the corner and able to be flipped around on a metal ring. All Llewellyn, nothing I had hoped for, nothing that grabbed me.

The second store - a superb old drawer with two metal rods running the depth of the drawer down in the bottom, and sliding along those rods, about 60? 70? decks with a cutout of the front of the box and a half a dozen cards from each. Lovely, wide selection - of which, a mere 4 decks were available for sale in the store. ??? All else had to be ordered and wait. I didn't get it - most all of us could do that on-line. But I was totally and completely surprised by what grabbed me - nothing at all that I could've known from on-line: Cat People, Cary-Yale and Feng Shui. Very much based on look/feel there in the store. But none I could get!

The third store - a dozen decks, no samples, and none of interest.

The fourth store - they wanted to provide me with samples, and had had some, but they had been stolen during the previous week. No wonder providing samples becomes hard for a business. Twenty decks or so, but the store owner had and used and let me handle her Shadowscapes, so I knew those were a no-go. But they had the Feng Shui, so I bought those.

The fifth store - probably 40 tarot and oracle decks on the shelf, more oracles than tarot, quite a varied selection, but once again, no samples, no pictures, no way to open and even look at the backs through the cellophane. I wrote down a half-dozen and felt very grateful to AT, knowing I could come home and give them a good look-see.

I want to go to Niti's store and feel all the decks there! It sounds idyllically rich. I would never, ever have guessed I would like the look and feel of the 3 that did grab me. So, there, that's a long way to wholeheartedly agree with you, Niti.

Niti

Quester said:
Sadly we are not lucky enough to have a store like that anymore!! :( The one we had is greatly missed!! :heart:
:( I can't afford to buy decks that often anymore, but I will make a point to support this store whenever I need items in the future. Small, independent shops are a dying breed.

Le Fanu said:
Or just stolen it. I have seen Llewellyn boxes and LoS kits with the deck inside missing but with the box and book and - (lucky for the person who mistakenly buys it) an organzy bag, all intact!
I know! I've heard that tarot decks are frequently stolen, which is why many bookstores and occult shops keep them behind glass. The store I spoke of did this, and when I asked whether they had a specific deck on display somewhere, the woman sighed and said they did, but someone stole it a few weeks back. WTF. That takes some serious guts - the place is so tiny, you'd think someone would see. Who does that? They are ruining it for the rest of us :(

LavenderLibra

Quester said:
Same here, Quester. I miss that store SO MUCH; there are no other shops in town that I look forward to going to. I even just miss the SMELL when I walked in. (Tell *Her* that I said hello and she is missed, when you next speak to her).

**~LL~**