Taking photos of stones?

angelmarlo

Does anyone know how to take pictures of stones so they show the true color and is not dark? I tried putting a bright light over the rock and taking a picture but it still turns out dark.

gregory

My sister - a real rockhound - says you MUST do it outside, on a white sheet or something (not any sort of paper that could reflect light back - it's amazing what even copy paper DOES reflect !) and in good daylight.

Belthane

Sunlight is your best friend. :) Best if you can find a shaded area where there's plenty of light but sun is not directly overhead so it isn't too harsh. Gregory's right, light reflected off will give very pleasing overall look to your photos, so you can either use a piece of white paper or big white manila/cardstock and ask someone to hold it at an angle to reflect light. And depending on how your camera processes colors you might need a slight adjustment in image software later on like adjusting brightness, contrast and saturation. But shooting outside using sunlight almost always guarantees foolproof pictures. :)

Indoor shooting is a bit more tricky and relies more on your camera's ability to capture and offset lighting conditions. Using straight up flash is very harsh, and you'll get shadows where you don't want them and the colors are almost always inaccurate. Unless you diffuse the flash or use off camera flash or bounce flash off ceilings or walls, please avoid using flash if you can help it. :)

Hope that helps.

Edit: Just thought of something. Since you have light (I assume it's a desk lamp with white fluorescent?) then you can try making a DIY softbox. It's not expensive to make and the white walls will bounce light just nicely for you.

angelmarlo

Thanks everrone i will use your ideas.