PDA

View Full Version : malware?

ann823
12-04-2011, 05:40
My antivirus just started alerting me-and blocking-what it is calling malware on this site. The file it picks up ends in ...DeanEdwards. Is this a problem or is Avast being picky? I've gone to other places on the web and only get the alert here.
Ann

Solandia
12-04-2011, 10:28
Hi Ann, is there a particular page that Avast is triggering on?

MsSharonBee
12-04-2011, 17:01
Earlier I was doing some general internet research and almost every article or forum I went to sent Avast off. I manually asked it to update later ... and problem fixed. Just a glitchy update that has now been set right.

I love/hate computers!

ann823
12-04-2011, 20:09
It was triggering on every page on this website and another website I go to (videofitness). I'd never had any problems with either site before and on videofitness even got a trojan horse message. This morning avast has done an automatic update and the problem seems to be gone. I love/hate them too, mssharonbee.

Solandia, thanks for you prompt response. I was going to contact my internet provider today if the problem continued as it didn't seem possible that two good sites had gone bad all of a sudden. Avast gave me the option to override the block but I had to check the circle that said "I know what I'm doing." And believe me, I don't, LOL.

gregory
12-04-2011, 21:02
There was an issue with googleads yesterday - maybe that did it. It was kicking in on the dragons forum I'm on and people were cursing all over. Some evil ad with malware in - every time it showed up the page went postal and wouldn't load (and quite right too.) It had flash in, and as I block flash I was OK...

gregory
12-04-2011, 22:23
Update from that other forum I mentioned:

Okay, I had a friend who was able to get into Avast!'s forum. They seem to have had a bad program update and or virus definition update which is causing it to run amok.

What looks to be the culprit:

Version: 6.0.1000
Virus definition: 110411-1

Their site keeps timing out due to the large volume of people flocking to complain/seek guidance.

EDIT: it's the definition file that's bad. If you're having problems, you need to do a manual file update for the virus definitions to get file# 110411-2 which will correct the problem.