crystals or herbs for neuropathy pain and cramping??

amethyst57

my feet have cramping pain with the burning pain now...my neuropathy is making a comeback since my blood sugar level is better...
great trade-off,huh?
don't like allopathic drugs, they dope me up...know about supplements, and use them when i can...and some physical therapy isn't allowed on med.assistance....
SO, are there any crystals or herbs that really help?

bright_star

Not sure if this will help, or if it classifies as a herbal remedy. But, just looked up diabetic neuropathy (think this is what you're referring to?) in my pharmacology textbook. It mentions that capsaicin applied topically (topical ointment or a dermal patch) can be useful. Capsaicin is prepared from hot peppers and is used for types of extreme pain that don't respond well to normal analgesia, such as post-herpetic neuralgia as a result of shingles, and diabetic neuropathy. Not sure where you would get this, my guess is it would be available from a pharmacy, perhaps ask a doctor or pharmacist about it if you're interested as you might need advice on how to apply it correctly. You should ask your doctor anyway what is available in terms of pain relief for your neuropathy.

MsRubyRain

There is a product called Benfotiamine. It is said to help nerve regeneration in diabetics. I heard about it from a lyme board I follow. Some lymies get neuropathy. I don't have any personal experience with it myself.

http://www.benfotiamine.org/FAQ.htm

minrice

rockersgurl said:
my feet have cramping pain with the burning pain now...my neuropathy is making a comeback since my blood sugar level is better...

Oh no! I hope you find something that works and makes you feel better. I'll take a peep in my reference books and get come back...

bright_star

Can't find benfotiamine in any of my books, but it could be an american trade name. Going on that site info, it sounds like it's a thiamine (vit. B1) supplement. Probably wouldn't hurt to take a vit. B1 supplement as it's a water-soluble vitamin so it won't be held within the body and what isn't needed is excreted, but probably not necessary unless you're actually thiamine deficient. I don't know about it helping with nerve regeneration, as once damaged nerves do not easily regenerate, it's a vitamin needed for normal nerve function though. Not sure it's exactly going to treat pain though. And no way would I be buying drugs off the internet, even if it's just a vitamin supplement.

Glass Owl

Skullcap helps with anxiety, nerve pain, and headaches.

It's also used to help those that are going through drug/alcohol withdrawal.

Be careful about dosage because it can make you feel sleepy. For that reason it is also helpful if you suffer from insomnia or pain that keeps you awake.

SloughSister

Not crystals or herbs, but my patients used to get relief from foot neuropathy by spending time gently walking around in a warm, heated, therapy pool - 91 to 93 degrees. Something about the water pressure against the feet plus soft foot movement plus warmth - at any rate, a number of them just swore by it. Hope you find a way to feel more comfortable.

MsRubyRain

bright_star said:
Can't find benfotiamine in any of my books, but it could be an american trade name. Going on that site info, it sounds like it's a thiamine (vit. B1) supplement. Probably wouldn't hurt to take a vit. B1 supplement as it's a water-soluble vitamin so it won't be held within the body and what isn't needed is excreted, but probably not necessary unless you're actually thiamine deficient. I don't know about it helping with nerve regeneration, as once damaged nerves do not easily regenerate, it's a vitamin needed for normal nerve function though. Not sure it's exactly going to treat pain though. And no way would I be buying drugs off the internet, even if it's just a vitamin supplement.

Brightstar, I do believe that is just a brand/trade name it is a thiamine/B1 supplement.
I heard good things about it, but like I said no first hand knowledge.

amethyst57

thanks for yer help....
benfotimine sounds wonderful, and that skullcap may be what i need in the p.m...
gonna see if the pool therapy is covered, too..

raeanne

Hi Rockersgurl,
The only stones that I know that work on the nerves are Amber and Aquamarine. Both are calming to the nerves. I think I would pair either one of these with Garnet. Garnet is very good for health.

Magnesium and chromium are both good for the nerves as well. I have neuropathy in my feet but it isn't caused by diabetes, it is caused by radiation damage (cancer treatments). I take one magnesium liqugel and one chromium tablet a day and it has helped. I don't get that deep painful ache in my feet and legs at night when I take these minerals.

Vitamin E is very good for muscles cramps. Your might want to try adding more E to your diet. Vegatable oils, nuts, seeds, asparagus, etc are good sources of Vitamin E. I hope some of this helps. Take care!