A strange story of when I bought my new deck

Rovay

Hello there fellow tarot lovers, I actually had a bit of weird experience today when I went to buy a new deck. I think the story may be interesting to one or two of you, so decided I should share it.

Some time ago, weeks or a month, I bought myself the Sensual Wicca deck, and it was working very well for me, so I pretty much didn't feel like buying another one. When I browsed around different card decks in the web, I didn't feel interested in any, all of them I found to have a minor flaw in my eyes which stopped me from going out to the city center in attempt to find them. Was so until I saw the Dark Angels deck by accident when browsing the site; My eyes widened with delight, I immediately googled it and tried to see more of the images - and loved them all. So decided to head out and get them for myself.

I won't tell the story how I couldn't find them in my usual card-buying place, because they haven't had a deck update since the Lo Scarabeo collection from 2009; or how I went to one bizarre little store that sells this type of things, and a bunch of other stuff some people would call "ocultist". The story begins really when I got into that strange small store.

The seller in the store, a type of those polite looking old ladies, remembered me from the last time when I visited, which was to obtain myself a pendulum, but that is another story. She showed me, for my delight, a 2010 catalogues of Lo Scarabeo, and some other publishers, and after I showed her which deck I wanted in the 2010 LS catalogue, she just pointed the drawer in which the cards were kept. Actually, it was a big cabinet, in which drawer of which was a different set of cards. After a bit of browsing, when I was starting to lose hope, I managed to find the deck. After paying for it, I started chatting with the seller. Seemed like she appreciated the company, so she happily let me look at some decks, which I happily used the opportunity for - the store is quite far way from where I live.

We exchanged some tarot-connected information - I was interested in what kind of decks the other people usually bought, and she appreciated some of the details I knew of tarot-creation history and such. She herself never had it in her to read cards, or so she says; but she did appreciate learning stuff about them. I spent plenty of time there, checking shyly the different types of decks.

At some point, when I gently opened one of the boxes /boxes weren't sold wrapped in this store, btw - people are usually allowed to browse through a deck before they decide to buy it, check if all cards are in good condition and such, which I find to be a much better policy than in the bookstore, where you can only look at the cover and nothing more - but even if people are allowed to browse through boxes before making a purchase, I do think I was one of a very lucky few to be allowed to still browse after making that purchase/, the box was Gothic Tarot, by the way, the lady seller offered to show me one of the decks she personally enjoyed the art of. When she handed over to me the box, I saw that it was a "Madame Endora's fortune cards". I decided to take a look at it after I finished looking at the Gothic Tarot deck with great admiration in my eyes. I put the G.T. back in its box, then opened the Madame Endora box.

And this is the real bizarre part. Right after the first card, there was one big, black card - that had the words "Gothic Tarot" on the top of it. It was one of those non-package cards, which usually are just in the box, on which are written other decks similar to this one, and etc, just the one big, extra card there is - and which, for some weird reason, was inside the Madame Endora's Fortune Cards box.

I just stood there, with my eyes wide open. What is the chance that someone would go there, would put out both the madame Endora and the Gothic tarot; Then, what is the chance that this one would accidentally slip one of the Gothic cards in that Endora box; and finally, what is the chance that someone would be allowed to browse the cards, then pull out the exact same two decks at the same time, and be able to return the Gothic card where it belonging place?

I left the store soon after, still blinking, and a bit shocked. Weird stuff is weird.

Right, that is the story; I guess I could have done it with less details, but I do think that there are some of you who would prefer a longer, detailed version of a story; that is the type of person I usually am. Let me know what you think; and if you had similar, or stranger experience when you were off getting cards for yourself.

velvetina

I wonder if it was just a promotional card? There was a card for madame endora's deck in my Gothic tarot when I bought it.

Cerulean

Is this the Gothic and Madame Endora by the same publisher...

Have to look this up...same publisher or artist or both?

A cutious charm...

Topsy

Hi Rovay,

If they are by the same publisher, maybe it was just an advert for their new deck, as Velvetina said. You know, like when you buy a magazine and they have inserted leaflets promoting their other titles.

Having said that, the cards do have a mind of their own sometimes. I don't use reversals and am always very careful to make sure every card is the right way up in my decks, but sometimes random cards come out reversed, and I am at a complete loss as to how they have managed it. Weird.

Topsy

cardlady22

Monolith Graphics is the publisher of the Gothic Tarot and the Madame Endora's Fortune Cards by Joseph Vargo. They do enclose advertising cards for other products in the boxes.

Cerulean

Oh forgot to ask-which card was it?

The dream that is our life sometimes feels magical if the image in our hand and something inside us is attuned to its meaning.

But sometimes its quite funny. A basset hound named Beulah sitting on a pile of cards after flipping over the Tower card and panting with her grin...and as her tail swoops and she pops up and down, she also flips over the Devil. We gathered up the cards and Beulah was enticed away.

I hope you enjoyed your visit and the card was a fun find.

Rovay

cardlady22 said:
Monolith Graphics is the publisher of the Gothic Tarot and the Madame Endora's Fortune Cards by Joseph Vargo. They do enclose advertising cards for other products in the boxes.

Hehe, that explains a lot! You just ruined the magic a bit for me, but it is worth it - I am smiling wildly here.