Getting rid of a negative tarot deck

siren85

Hi. I just had a question about how to properly get rid of a tarot deck that seems to have accumulated negative energy? It is a couple of years old, I haven't used the deck in awhile because everytime I do, it seems to give me a really negative vibe. I was in a bit of a 'dark' phase of my life when I was using it alot (ie, depressed) and I think something may have latched onto it. I have also had several dreams (not lately though) where I was using the deck, and something would come through the cards and choke me. I haven't had any of those dreams since using my newer decks though.

I was wandering what a good way to get rid of the deck would be? I've been thinking about cleansing it and burying it, but I was worried that if I did, the energy/entity that is possibly attached to it might latch onto me after I bury it. Idk, maybe its all in my head, but I feel that I need to dispose of the deck in a safe way. thanks.

amethyst57

i would just cleanse it, smudge it , but not bury it...if you still don't want it after the deck is cleared, just give it away...

GryffinSong

I had a deck recently that I felt strongly had to go because of negative feelings about it. I offered it in trade and it's now greatly loved by another member. Whatever you're feeling is about you and those images (in my opinion) and not about an evil entity. Someone else might love the deck. In my case knowing that someone now loves the deck feels really good, whereas throwing it away would have felt like a waste.

Whatever you decide is right for you will work for you. :) That's my story and I'm sticking to it. LOL

graspee

Get the spirits in the deck right aggravated by shaking the deck a lot and laughing at them, telling them they are weak and ineffectual, then when you've got them all riled up and hungry for blood, give the deck to someone you hate.

If the person meets with bad fortune, job done; If they don't, it was either all in your head (which at least would be good to know) or the spirits are ignoring the new owner and coming back to you, which puts you in no worse position really except the spirits are angrier.

Do you do daily banishing rituals, e.g. LBRP?

siren85

rockersgurl said:
i would just cleanse it, smudge it , but not bury it...if you still don't want it after the deck is cleared, just give it away...

I have already tried smudging it with sage incense in the past, but it still seems to hold the negative energy. I don't have any of these problems with any of my other decks (the deck in question is a basic Rider-Waite deck btw)

Grizabella

graspee said:
Get the spirits in the deck right aggravated by shaking the deck a lot and laughing at them, telling them they are weak and ineffectual, then when you've got them all riled up and hungry for blood, give the deck to someone you hate.

If the person meets with bad fortune, job done; If they don't, it was either all in your head (which at least would be good to know) or the spirits are ignoring the new owner and coming back to you, which puts you in no worse position really except the spirits are angrier.

Do you do daily banishing rituals, e.g. LBRP?

Are you serious? Because if you're not, maybe you should indicate that it was said jokingly so as not to mislead someone new who might not know any better.

If I feel negatively about a deck and can't shake the feeling after waiting awhile, I just give the deck to someone who does want it, like Griffynsong said. Or some folks believe you can cleanse a deck by various methods and go on using it yourself.

I don't believe in trying to cause others bad fortune in any way, and certainly not using my cards or giving them to someone in hopes of bringing misfortune.

I see you've added that you don't feel you've been able to rid it of the negative energy you feel, so my suggestion now is to give it to someone or trade it away to someone for a deck you don't feel has negative energy. There's someone who would probably love it and get long use out of it.

cronegoddess54

siren85 said:
Hi. I just had a question about how to properly get rid of a tarot deck that seems to have accumulated negative energy? It is a couple of years old, I haven't used the deck in awhile because everytime I do, it seems to give me a really negative vibe. I was in a bit of a 'dark' phase of my life when I was using it alot (ie, depressed) and I think something may have latched onto it. I have also had several dreams (not lately though) where I was using the deck, and something would come through the cards and choke me. I haven't had any of those dreams since using my newer decks though.

I was wandering what a good way to get rid of the deck would be? I've been thinking about cleansing it and burying it, but I was worried that if I did, the energy/entity that is possibly attached to it might latch onto me after I bury it. Idk, maybe its all in my head, but I feel that I need to dispose of the deck in a safe way. thanks.
IMHO I do not believe a deck can get negative energy...it is just your feelings and emotions that trigger that feeling of negativity, it is not the cards.....find someone that would enjoy them and try not to worry that 'it will latch' on to you...good luck <3

siren85

I know, I'm kind of leaning toward the idea that the deck probably just absorbed my negative energy, and since I'm particularly sensitive and empathic, I just pick it up whenever I use that deck. But I have heard that spirits can use objects such as tarot and quija boards as a 'portal'... Idk, I've been watching too much Ghost Adventures I guess.

GryffinSong

siren85 said:
I know, I'm kind of leaning toward the idea that the deck probably just absorbed my negative energy, and since I'm particularly sensitive and empathic, I just pick it up whenever I use that deck. But I have heard that spirits can use objects such as tarot and quija boards as a 'portal'... Idk, I've been watching too much Ghost Adventures I guess.

Some people do believe that. I have a friend who's a practicing Quaker, but who at heart is a fundamentalist Christian in many ways. She doesn't want tarot decks even coming into her house because she believes they can call up evil.

Me? I believe they're paper with artwork on them. No more, no less. What we get out of them is what we bring to them. Our responses, our instincts, our feelings and intuition. If I feel negative about a deck it's because an image is triggering some negative experience, memory or thoughts. In my case it was the Tarot of the Dead. It has a bunch of guns in it (instead of swords) and I started associating those guns with my fight to survive breast cancer. That told me two things. One, that I had some issues to work on relative to my cancer experience. And two, that if I were to honor my own life and feelings and comfort, that I should give away the deck. I would literally wake in the morning with the thought "I need to get those guns out of the house." Literally. And I've never owned a gun in my life. It was the guns in the deck that felt icky. But that association doesn't mean that the cards themselves were harboring something evil. I was just making an association and my subconscious was bubbling up something that was bothering me. At least that's my opinion. :)

Your mileage may vary.

graspee

Grizabella said:
Are you serious?

Semi-serious. I don't personally believe in spirits as actual independent entities but I believe in ceremonial magick working by changing the beliefs and attitudes of the operator.

Grizabella said:
I don't believe in trying to cause others bad fortune in any way, and certainly not using my cards or giving them to someone in hopes of bringing misfortune.

I believe in harming and therefore disempowering people who have shown they should not have power.