Using an iPad with professional readings

Teheuti

I've been collecting recommendations for ways to use an iPad with professional readings. There's a post on my blog (see profile) with some of the basics I've tried out and some great suggestions in the Comments, but I thought some of you might have tried other things.

So far my focus has been on using the iPad as a digital recorder, plus what apps can be used to type notes, do sketches, take a picture of the spread and make an audio recording and email it to the client—all in one shot, or close to that. There's also recommendations on a free credit card app for iPhone or iPad and a method for recording Skype readings.

What else can you recommend or would you like to be able to do?

franniee

Hi Mary,

Interesting topic!

I haven't used my iPad for readings yet. I have used my iPhone and the facetime feature as well as Skype on my Macbook but never the iPad. I am curious to see what other people have done.

I do use a tarot app on occasion..... but truth be told I prefer to shuffle my own deck and I like to see the shadow card....I haven't found an app where I can see the shadow card.

Glass Owl

Be sure to check out Evernote. It is fabulous. You can access your account which holds photos, notes, etc via their website or an app. You can email notes/photos right to your account or cut and paste them right in. If it wasn't for this program I would have lost my tarot spread collection when my computer crashed.

Elven

Glass Owl said:
Be sure to check out Evernote. It is fabulous. You can access your account which holds photos, notes, etc via their website or an app. You can email notes/photos right to your account or cut and paste them right in. If it wasn't for this program I would have lost my tarot spread collection when my computer crashed.

Oh I like this - thanks Glass Owl.
I think this would be great to sort out my Tarot brain with! As well as my readings. Might be worth a look Teheuti :)

Elven

Teheuti

Glass Owl -

It's good to hear you say that about Evernote—which I included in my review. I have to say that it crashed a couple of times when I tried to use it.

Backing up your computer to an off-site server (like with Evernote) or via cloud computing (Dropbox) seems to be the way to go, even though they charge per month or year for over a certain amount of data. Plus, you can access your Evernote files from any computer.

With Evernote you can type up notes from a reading and include pictures of the spread, but you'll have to go to a different app to include a spread diagram or sketch. It seems to be best for gathering clips, documents and typed notes. Of course, you can always draw on paper and photograph the page.

Teheuti

Franniee -
I'm not actually recommending that people use a tarot app. While I play with them occasionally for myself, that's not how I would do a reading for someone else.

As I mentioned, you can make a digital recording with both the iPad and iPhone and email it directly to the client at the conclusion of the reading. What I'm suggesting is that you can also send a photo of the spread and, if you want to also include typed notes and/or a sketch of the spread (especially important if you create an individualized spread just for the reading).

franniee

Teheuti said:
Franniee -
I'm not actually recommending that people use a tarot app. While I play with them occasionally for myself, that's not how I would do a reading for someone else.

As I mentioned, you can make a digital recording with both the iPad and iPhone and email it directly to the client at the conclusion of the reading. What I'm suggesting is that you can also send a photo of the spread and, if you want to also include typed notes and/or a sketch of the spread (especially important if you create an individualized spread just for the reading).

I don't use a Tarot app on people I read for either. I wasn't sure what you were referring to and I guess that was the first thing that came to mind. Which made me curious to see how you were going to go about it. :D

My readings have never been spread dependent. A small percentage of my readings are through e-mail and I can't say I ever send the client pictures of the cards..... if I am doing an oracle reading - throwing something or other - junk, stones etc I will include a picture.

I downloaded evernote and will check it out. But unless I purchase that keyboard thing for the iPad I much prefer typing on my laptop - it is much faster for me. I think and I type. You should try the facetime feature on the iPhone - it is great - the client gets to have a face to face reading with you anywhere. :heart:

yirabeth

I *highly* recommend the keyboard if you use your iPad to compose any sort of textual document, though. I use my iPad for taking notes in college, and without that keyboard, I'd be SUNK. I use a program called SketchNotes, I can type or draw diagrams the teacher puts on the blackboard. Not sure on picture capabilities though...I'm thinking that's a no. I'll check it out though. (I'm guessing it's the newer generation iPad that can do pictures? Mine can't)

Never thought of using it for tarot readings for others though...LOL I guess I'm usually here, so just use this computer...

Teheuti

My blog post has my program reviews (including Evernote) and other suggestions (link thru my Profile). I haven't used FaceTime yet for a reading, but I do talk to my grandson on it, from his mom's iPhone to my iPad.

Many of us don't do our face-to-face professional readings right next to our home computers, but rather at bookstores, fairs or cafes. You can use a portable computer for many of the same purposes, but the iPad is less obtrusive, plus there's the drawing capability.

If you seriously want to type on the iPad then I recommend a program called TapTyping. Treat it like a game. It starts you with grouped letters, then works up to sentences and capitals, and then to the alternate keyboards (numbers and extra punctuation). My skills increased rapidly, even though I'm an excellent touch typist. There are several writing apps that include an extra row of oft-used keyboard extras.