Oracles of Eight "The octegons of fate" (reading dice)

Trieah

Does anyone else have these? It's a set of 3 eight sided dice and a scroll with a brief description of what every number combination means. I've allowed people in my psychic development classes play around with them, and it's kind of hit and miss with some people, but they've been fairly accurate with me.

I'd like to know if anyone else here uses them and maybe get some tips on different ways to use them in conjunction with other types of readings.

Wendywu

There is a discussion on reading with dice here click me, but that's not with eight sided dice. These sound very interesting - is there a site showing an image, or a place to purchase?

cardlady22

I have them! Made by Koplow Games and the dice are absolutely Huge!
http://www.g2ch.com/oracles-eight-dice-the-octagons-fate-p-293.html
Oracles of Eight is translated from the French "Evening of Readings"

Instructions say to roll them one at a time & place them left to right in that order. Then you look up the phrase for that unique three-digit number, 111 through 888.

142 - You will receive a nice present
683 - High position at court
444 - Fickleness
881 - Danger in travel

NorthernTigress

Wow that review is a little... harsh. Talk about damning with faint praise.

"While we seriously doubt that there is anything remotely authentic about fortune telling of any kind, this is a cool little addition to any fantasy RPG. Give that old wise woman something to consult when the players come to town. Prophesize triumph or doom with a few rolls of the dice! It's a fantasy world after all".

cardlady22

'Twas the best photo available. Take the "source" with a grain of salt. ;)
I remember the battles we fought with our parents & teachers to convince them that RPGing did not mean we were studying to become witches, etc. :rolleyes:

Trieah

Holy cow! That was a harsh review. I found my set at a spiritualist shop in town. I love 'um. It's like pulling a quick card for insight, without having to do a whole lot of meditation on the meaning. I'm wondering if they would work in conjunction with the cards, and what the best way to do that would be.

My instructor purchased a set after I showed her mine, but she said she hadn't been able to connect very well with them yet. What are your thoughts on them Cardlady22?

cardlady22

I can't read French, so I can't search for any source material. But, this format must come from the era where the divination meanings were set down in books to be consulted. There did not seem to be any "intuitive" component.

My intention is to go through the given meanings and try to make a framework for what the single digits might be associated with to create the combination that they do.