Personal deck study habits?

papercutbliss

I'm just curious to know the methods people use when they want to really bond and study with a particular deck... please feel free to share your own personal techniques. I'd also like to know the length of time you spend with the deck during your study. Thanks!

Le Fanu

I have bonded with many decks but I have only ever done the serious "study habit" with a few. If I journal with a deck - which I hardly ever do - then obviously it means I have dedicated quite a bit of time and effort into a deck and invariably it reaps rewards. I have only ever done this with the Thoth, Navigators of the Mystic Sea and the William Blake. I also did it when studying the Dodal with Herzog. But that was merely a notebook with numerological associations and sample spreads. Most of the studying and analysing we did in a thread here

However, a deck like the Victorian Romantic I feel truly bonded with and I never journalled with it. The companion book is so good, I simpy read it and kept reading with the deck and feel that, after the Thoth, this is the deck I feel most comfortable with. So I don't think journalling is absolutely essential.

But sometimes I am unsure about a deck; I have a period of *loose*, non-commital bonding with it to see if it is going to be a deck I shall invest more time in. In that case, I carry it around with me, look at the images in my spare moments, sit up in bed at night going through it, maybe do a draw for the following day. I have so little time, but can usually feel if it is a "journalling" kind of deck. Sadly, nowadays, so few decks come along that threaten to knock the old favourites off their perch.

But reading with, shuffling, looking at, thinking about... that's the most you can do really. I never meditate with cards (like all the books say you should) as I have never found it to be particularly useful. Thinking about cards when I'm out & about, in the café, on the subway, this is always useful for me...

Sulis

I think the nuances of a deck's symbolism show up best within the context of readings so if I want to use a new deck I just read with it.

GryffinSong

I've never done a formal study of a deck. I suppose its a combination of being naturally disorganized, and preferring the spontanaity of a reading. I will sit and look through the cards, looking at each one, admiring the artwork, and stopping to see what strikes me if a card seems important at the moment. Call it an intuitive, sponataneous, sort of random study!!! LOL

gregory

Sulis said:
I think the nuances of a deck's symbolism show up best within the context of readings so if I want to use a new deck I just read with it.
What she said. Well, not so much the BEST side of it - but that is how I get to know a deck. OCCASIONALLY I will go through one with the book, too, especially if it is particularly strange. (And that IS what I am v-e-r-y slowly doing with the Thoth, cos it's special. But I read with it while I work !)

Morwenna

I look at the cards and read the book. And eventually I read with the cards (most of the time; some decks I've never read with), at least to try them out. The better I like them, the more I'll use them.

Of course, if I get involved in a study group here, then I get to see all kinds of things in the cards that I wouldn't notice on my own! Even if I'm the one who started the thread! Sometimes putting it out for someone else to comment makes one pay closer attention. I suppose that makes it a form of journaling. Otherwise I don't generally journal, except for when I try out a new spread. I almost always write those readings down and analyze them on paper. But just that once per spread.

nisaba

papercutbliss said:
I'm just curious to know the methods people use when they want to really bond and study with a particular deck... please feel free to share your own personal techniques.
Er ... you just use it a lot. Beam at it and think about it.

I'd also like to know the length of time you spend with the deck during your study. Thanks!
With my personal favourite I'm tallying up nearly 20 years now, and still learning.

gregory

OK then - and I did this one - tough but SO worth it. Warning - few stay the course....

Mi-Shell

You could enter the Intensive Deck Study support thread = IDS
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=147339

I spend over a year getting to know certain decks and posted some of my findings in the Tarot Study groups specific to these decks, also to exchange thoughts with others that were working with the same deck.