When you don't believe the cards.

Laura Borealis

I've been trying to locate my Eden Gray books in a desultory fashion for several weeks. The paperback Complete Guide to the Tarot, which was my first tarot book, and a hardback of The Tarot Revealed which I found secondhand. After checking and re-checking the usual spots, I finally decided to do a reading -- using the RWS and a celtic cross spread because they seemed so appropriate and Eden-like.

The World came up in the outcome spot: taking it literally, the books are out there in the world somewhere, not in my house at all. I don't remember any of the other cards, but they were just as blunt and clear. They're simply not in my possession any more.

This is totally plausible, because in my last house some of my books got wet and molded. I'm allergic to mold so I recycled them. I didn't remember the Eden Gray books being among those, but they must have been.

But back to the reading. For some reason I JUST DIDN'T BELIEVE the cards. Or maybe I didn't WANT to believe. So I've been tearing up the house, going through every box, trying to find these two books. And finally this afternoon I admitted it. The cards were right. Those books have gone out into the universe and possibly have been turned into recycled toilet paper. Bah. The good thing is, both titles are cheap secondhand, even the hardback Tarot Revealed, so I can replace them.

So my questions for you all --
Did you ever just refuse to believe the cards?
Why didn't you believe?
Were the cards right after all?

Cassandra022

I've the opposite thing in that I most often don't believe the cards when they say something overly positive especially about certain subjects in regards to which i am overly fatalistic. i do take my reaction with a grain of salt though, since i am aware of that particular issue of mine. in some cases they have turned out to be right, and in regards to others i still don't know because it was a broader/more general/more future-oriented still concern...

Laura Borealis

I can understand that. I tend to be overly fatalistic myself. Sometimes I think of it as not setting myself up for disappointment. It's always nice to be wrong in those cases! :TSUN

Linh

I find that when I'm feeling ungrounded, sad, frustrated, angry or just not calm and centered, the cards don't tell me the truth. I could tell, too, that I'm not connecting to the cards and they just aren't cooperating. But otherwise I do believe in the tarot most of the time, unless I obsessively ask the same question over and over, which I, embarrassingly, sometimes do that :D

Laura Borealis

That's interesting! Do you think they don't tell the truth because you're not connecting to them?

I think we've all been there with asking the same question too many times. :D

Aladdin

I've always and still do believe the cards never lie; sometimes i just do not have the brainpower to delineate their messages.
Too many questions too soon or repeated in any one week can cause an overload of seemingly meaningless answers.

Linh

laura_borealis said:
That's interesting! Do you think they don't tell the truth because you're not connecting to them?

I think we've all been there with asking the same question too many times. :D

I don't know how to say it, but you know the feeling when you talk to someone and it just "clicks"? That's the same for me and the cards, and that's how I know I'm on the right track with my reading. When "don't connect," I just find myself reading off "textbook definitions" of the cards without having a clue of what I'm saying. Does that make sense?

KMilliron

Linh said:
I don't know how to say it, but you know the feeling when you talk to someone and it just "clicks"? That's the same for me and the cards, and that's how I know I'm on the right track with my reading. When "don't connect," I just find myself reading off "textbook definitions" of the cards without having a clue of what I'm saying. Does that make sense?
Like you just lay out the cards and you just look at them and say Nahhh. You just know there's no connection. I know what you mean.

Sometimes if I'm not sure if there's a connection, which is rare, I write down the cards and then redo it. Then I look and see if the messages are similar or not.

Empath111

I agree, sometimes I quickly will pick up my cards and ask something. I too have to be more grounded and relaxed. I actually have a little tingly feeling I get - head/neck area - one side. When I get that it seems my readings are more accurate (per feedback). If I relax and center myself beforehand they seem better too.

So, I can doubt the cards too, depending on how I approach it...I think "clicking" is the right word. I can tell when it feels off. (And yes, I over-ask too sometimes (<red-faced>) LOL

Empath111

KMilliron said:
Like you just lay out the cards and you just look at them and say Nahhh. You just know there's no connection. I know what you mean.

Sometimes if I'm not sure if there's a connection, which is rare, I write down the cards and then redo it. Then I look and see if the messages are similar or not.
I've done that too! Or picked up another deck to see if the answers are similar...
But that "connect" feeling - when that is strong..there really is no doubt:)