Travelling with your deck

Schnee

Hi all!
I will soon be travelling to San Francisco and will stay there for 2 months. I thought I'd bring my Aquarian along to keep practising and hopefully honing my skills. The only thing that worries me would be the customs agents. I have to admit to not being the TSA's biggest fan and am a bit afraid of the eventual reaction a Tarot deck might cause (we have all been reading threads dealing with judgmental views and so on).

How do you guys feel about that?
Have you travelled with decks, or read on planes?

Le Fanu

No problems. Remember they see all kinds of things whilst routing through people's suitcases. And people travel with the weirdest things.

They couldn't care less about tarot decks but if they knew what a drug tarot decks are to me they might be a bit stricter.

They're looking for other things.

Frayling0

Schnee said:
Hi all!
I will soon be travelling to San Francisco and will stay there for 2 months. I thought I'd bring my Aquarian along to keep practising and hopefully honing my skills. The only thing that worries me would be the customs agents. I have to admit to not being the TSA's biggest fan and am a bit afraid of the eventual reaction a Tarot deck might cause (we have all been reading threads dealing with judgmental views and so on).

How do you guys feel about that?
Have you travelled with decks, or read on planes?

I'll be honest, I haven't ever travelled with any of my decks, but I can't imagine customs agents would comment on something like a tarot deck... it's just like a box of playing cards to them really. I'll wait and see what others have to say, especially if they've had experience, oh, and have fun in San Francisco!

gregory

I've never read in a plane; I have read some fairly startling looking tarot BOOKS on planes. No-one looked at me at all.

Tarot is not against the law in the States - reading it is illegal in a few states, I gather - but having a deck when you go through customs - I CANNOT believe anyone will even NOTICE - and the chances of their looking in any detail through your stuff isn't high anyway. The most issues I have ever had in customs was with cheese. That is illegal (protection against carrying farm diseases and stuff.) I said as soon as he picked it up that it was soap, and - he believed me :bugeyed: I mean - it was SLICED and everything... :D

They may not approve - that's possible anywhere. But I honestly don't think it will be an issue - unless you make it one.

I don't know that I would read cards on a plane. If the person next to you is very anti, it would be hard for them to ignore and that's discourteous, whether or not they should be allowed to affect your "freedoms" ! "An ye harm none" and all that ! Read the book while you fly !

Herzog

Im a magician. Last week I passed my magic bag through a metal detector for security at the Statue of Liberty. What went through their minds when they saw rings and ropes and goblets and strange boxes I'll never know cause they didn't even blink an eye.

You have no worries

Frayling0

Herzog said:
Im a magician. Last week I passed my magic bag through a metal detector for security at the Statue of Liberty. What went through their minds when they saw rings and ropes and goblets and strange boxes I'll never know cause they didn't even blink an eye.

You have no worries

Loved this :D

I'm sure the customs guys see MUCH worse. As for reading tarot being illegal in certain states...! I never knew that... wow, American restrictions!

Grizabella

Frayling0 said:
I'm sure the customs guys see MUCH worse. As for reading tarot being illegal in certain states...! I never knew that... wow, American restrictions!

It's not illegal in the sense of reading for yourself or possessing the cards. It's just illegal as far as doing it to charge money for.

Miss Divine

Like others have said, there's nothing to worry about in carrying Tarot decks with you.

Stormdancer

Grizabella said:
It's not illegal in the sense of reading for yourself or possessing the cards. It's just illegal as far as doing it to charge money for.
In some places...

ETA...never mind...that was already said...***sigh*** READ storm, READ!!! :joke:

kisou

I've flown plenty of times with my decks and have never had an issue!

The only thing I'm worried about flying with are my knitting needles and turns out those are safe by TSA standards.

As for the decks--- they're nothing but a stack of playing cards to the people looking through the scanners! No biggie.

Also, enjoy The City by the Bay! <3! Pack a light jacket ;D