Friend thinks I'm a tarot vending machine

caridwen

I have a friend who since she discovered I read tarot, doesn't stop asking for readings!!

She even phones me up and asks me for interpretations to cards. I lent her a deck and book so she could do her own as I was getting fed up.

Last night she came over and asked me to do her a reading. She even requested a specific deck and then another to compare the two readings.

Has this happened to anyone and if so what did you do to resolve it?

KMilliron

Yeah I had a friend who would text me. Thankfully she wasn't within walking distance, so I'd always say I can't, busy walking and the such. If she asked for an interpretation my battery would suddenly die. I could be at home doing nothing but shuffling cards, but I'd just say "Walking now." "Battery low and expecting call, text later" or I'd change the subject completely.

Frayling0

You could always tell her gently that it's tiring you out, and you can't do so many tarot readings. If she's your friend, she won't be offended. Maybe you should teach her how instead of giving her readings :)

Lady Morgaine

I tell people that I don't do "do over" readings or "do over questions". Some people want a certain answer and will ask a question all different ways to force an answer that they want. I tell them not to insult the cards. I also tell them not to come back to me for a reading for three to six months. Unless they or something changed drastically in their lives the energy or viewpoint of the reading will pretty much be the same.

I get paid to read and the shop will tack on an additional charge and it can get expensive. I don’t want them to keep paying for a card reading when it will remain the same. Most people respect that and actually put it on their calendar and count down the days. If I bump into them at the mall or the grocery store they will actually tell me how many days, weeks or months they have left till they make an appointment.

My close friends have known me for years and do not take advantage. Only once in a while do they need an Emergency reading. I will also do emg. readings for a person if they have been recomended by a friend but again, no "do overs". Heck, I would never have time to myself! lol!

Lady Morgaine

P.S

"Tarot Vending Machine" hahaha! thats funny. When I first started reading I called it "dial a witch" I know how you feel.

Middy1452

Yes, it has. A colleague at work used to ask for readings all the time, on the same subject. And she kept getting the same advice, which she always ignored. In the end, I told her that it was difficult to read for her anymore as she would always get the same message until she did something about it.

After that, she got her own deck but continued to ask me to interpret the cards. Funnily enough, she still got the same message and she still ignored it. The same with online readings. Sad to say, but I had to start ignoring her requests. I don't like to do that, but I had said no and it still continued.

I have been in a position before where I read constantly about a situation and I refused to listen to the cards' advice so I understand where this need to have everything sorted and boxed off comes from. But the biggest favour anyone ever did for me (on this forum several years ago) was to say 'enough, already'. I believe we know the answers ourselves and constantly reading on a subject so we get the reading we think we want does not help.

Just my opinion, speaking from one who has been there.

Middy

nisaba

caridwen said:
Has this happened to anyone and if so what did you do to resolve it?
Tell her you're a professional, the freebies-for-friends are over, and from now on, Tarot consultations will cost $X.xx.

DaughterOfDanu

I had a male friend like that.
He had his own deck but refused to use it. He wanted me to do readings.
Besides that he had a huge crush on me and I did not want to date him.
Finally I told him I was going to teach him- not read for him. That it was time to push him out of the nest.
He tried to learn for about the first two days and then disappeared- mostly because he realized I was not going to cave on either of his desires.

I find people like that from time to time. I flat out will just say "No".

Rev_Vesta

Tarot Vending Machine...lol love it...

yes I know what you mean.... had a friend like that until i told him time to charge for my time as it was valuable and obvisously he did not value me... he stopped asking.......

With Clients... I will not redo questions and will not do continual readings if they do not change within themselves......

it is about being strong and I know that can be difficult with friends, but your time is valuable........

Sar

I had that too, before.
But then I got sick and tired of them, so I started to "see" things in their future that they did not like and suddenly they stopped asking for readings.