When you refuse to believe the cards, they start to play "mind games"

Adriana

Many years ago (I was 15) I would ask questions like when I would meet the love of my life etc. Usually I would get different cards, like some cups card and pentacles etc. I didn't like the pentacles card, I didn't understand them in love readings, and I thought they were plain boring.
So I would ask again, and then after a while I only saw cups card and some Major Arcana cards, I saw the Sun, the Lovers, 2 of cups, ace of cups, 10 of cups, the Star... I never got a "bad" card. The problem this time was that I didn't believe them lol. They were too much of a fairytale, so I started to get worried etc. Then I asked again, and I think ALL cards in the celtic cross were swords cards, and not the "easy" ones either lol

Poor cards lol, no wonder the pentacles never showed up, and the swords in the end made me realize that too much worry would give that kind of result, and being too optimistic would also be false.
Lesson learned lol

Has anyone else experienced this?

Aladdin

Not directly but a full on Celtic Cross with this sort of question could very easily supply you with information overload.

Torkie

Generally, I have a tough time reading for myself, because I see straight through the "illusion" of meaning, and just come up with cards that make no sense to me. I can only do a few readings for myself before I have to put my decks away and read for other people again.

Although, I do believe one of my decks plays "mind games" with me because I don't like it very much, so it sort of has a, "well fine, let's see what you do with *this*" attitude.

Adriana

I used a book back then that stated that you should only ask "yes/no" questions, but I started to realize I got better results with questions that demanded more than a yes/no.
But I do see the problems with reading for yourself too much, but it can still give some answers :)

AJ

I imagine this is the way most querents see the cards when we lay out their spread, and who could blame them, it's pretty much the way we all start out. Cards begin as closed doors and only with use and study do they begin to open for the reader onto fields of endless information.

TractJM

I agree; the other concern too is that as we re-ask and re-ask and don't learn from our lesson; the messages begin to make no sense...and more often than not point at what we want, not what is true.

I get a lot of querents who have battered the question so many times, it's gone from "You need to learn X and adapt to Y" to "Oh yeah, ok, it's good, you're gonna have it all and be happy now, bye bye"