Ch. 1: Introduction to Vedic Astrology

firecatpickles

The Essentials of Vedic Astrology: Introduction to the Study of Vedic Astrology, Komilla Sutton

Here we go!

From what I gather from the first chapter, there are two aspects of Vedic astrology, just like Western astrology. First there is the philosophical, and overall and eventual more important aspect. And then there is the technical aspect. While the former seems to border on the over-religious (at least in my opinion and for my tastes), I get the impression that it is highly stressed in Vedic astrology. But I can live with that! It is highly suggested by the author to study other texts in tandem with this book. I think we can all agree that the task at hand in enough for most of us, so let's leave most religious and philosophical discussions at the door, unless it deals directly with the technical study of Vedic astrology. As for the latter, technical aspect there will be a lot of memorization work to do, and, if you already have studied yoga or practiced regularly, it will make life much easier from here on out.

This Thread is merely a guideline for discussion of Chapter One. It is not meant to confine our discussion too greatly; yet it is to make our book study manageable, and I have made a lesson plan of sorts pointing out items from this chapter to discuss. The highlighted areas of interest that Sutton mentions are both philosophical and technical, as I mentioned before.

• Technical aspects to consider memorizing
    • The Four Pillars
      1. Dharma
      2. Artha
      3. Kama
      4. Moksha
  • The Three Gunas (Qualities)
    1. Sattva
    2. Rajas
    3. Tapas

• Philosophical aspects to consider memorizing
    • Jyotishi
      1. Meaning
      2. Translation
    • Kryamana karma
      1. Meaning
      2. Translation

Again, in addition to committing this outline and these terms to memory, might I suggest that we confine our discussions to them, so as to guide our discussion and to make the material in Chapter One more manageable in this Thread? Please remember that, as Sutton has suggested, more on these philosophical points will be brought up for discussion later.

firecatpickles

Memorable quotes from Chapter One:

K. Sutton said:
"Jyotish can be translated as 'the science of light' or 'the wisdom of the heavens.'

K. Sutton said:
"It is the study of the planets, the stars and the horizon which is Jyotish; through this we are able to understand more about life and why we were born."

K. Sutton said:
"Vedic astrology is not man being controlled by the stars, but man using the stars to enhance his life."

K. Sutton said:
"[Kriyamana karma] is the karma that we actually make of our own choice and free will [...] A great deal in Vedic astrology is concerned with understanding this particular karma and the choices we face."

K. Sutton said:
"We will be looking at the myths in more detail later, but you will also need to explore the Vedas for yourself. But don't feel you need to be in a hurry!"

K. Sutton said:
"The whole aim of Vedic astrology, and of life, is to find out how to release ourselves from these ties [of the ego] and reach towards the state of vishnu or brahma, the universal manifestation."

Minderwiz

Thanks Fire Cat

I can understand your comments about the religious and philosophical dimensions but it is worth remembering that Astrology in the West also has religious origins, in the Middle and Near East - an area that had a large interaction with India. This isn't the place to go into a separate discussion of those mutual interactions and relationships but we should be aware of them.

Much of the New Age basis of modern Astrology, has a basis in the Theosophists of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, who were influenced by their experience of Indian beliefs (whether they properly understood them or were selective is another matter). So an understanding of the Indian framework, might through some light on our own practice. Also remember that Alexander's conquest of Northern India, also introduced Hellenistic and Persian ideas into Vedic practice.

Your quote about Jyotish and light is an important one to keep in mind - not only metaphorically as Astrology shining a light on our souls, but also literally, as the fundamental mechanism by which Astrology works.

There are an awful lot of references to texts and ideas in the first chapter and I don't think all or even some of it can be quickly absorbed, but perhaps at the end, we could review what we've gathered about that wider environment.

May

The following things registered from the first chapter -

1. Karma
Sanchita Karma - Karma from our past lives. This stays with us whether good or bad. We need to deal with this (I read this as make up for what we've done) to move ahead.
Prarabdha Karma - Destiny we are supposed to fulfill in this life.
Kriyamana Karma - Free will and how it works
2. Three gunas - satvik, rajasic and tamasic
3. Importance of Vedas and Upanishads

The line that stays with me about Vedic Astrology - "We have to live our present life and try to relate it to both past and the future... It can help us answer the difficult questions of existence"

firecatpickles

Yes there is quite a lot to digest in this first chapter.

It just occurred to me that the gunas seem to be like the humors, though there are three instead of four. And they coincide with the Greek modes (cardinal, fixed, mutable). I am curious to find out if Vedic astrology uses the elements in such a way.

Minderwiz

As far as I can gather through some limited research, the gunas are the principles, or tendencies of creation, preservation and destruction and as such they are analogous to the 'modes'. They are associated with (but. do not correspond to) the elements. I've seen reference to four and five elements, the difference being the inclusion of space (ether?) in the 5. the four being Fire, Air, Earth and Water as in Western Astrology (and thought).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guṇa

Incidentally wikipedia is a useful source for adding some more flesh to the bones of chapter 1. For those with kindles, there are two or three very cheap books providing an introduction and the basics of Indian philosophy. These are background but might be useful if you've got anything from $1 (70p) to $6 (£4) to spend.

firecatpickles

Thanks for the info.

Do you think the "pillars" are synonymous with the elements?

Minderwiz

I think it's stretching things to have them equate with the four elements, but there may be some association. The elements are the building blocks of the material world we see around us, and the building blocks of individuals, both through their physical nature and through their spiritual and psychological natures, through the four humours,(from a Western perspective) we are at the basic levels with the elements, the four pillars appear to be much more 'evolved' or 'developed'.

It would be good if NamasteIndia could contribute, coming from an Indian culture, she could help a lot in terms of not only correspondences to Western concepts but also to the major philosophic differences.

May

Gunas are not related to elements. They are like lifestyle or habits. Satvik is associated wit purity. some Indians eat satvik food during fasts or followers of some gurus limit eating to satvik or live satvik life. Satvik is life of a yogi. Satvik lifestyle is associated with sacrifices and avoidance of getting lured by materialistic things.

Rajsic is associated with life of a king. It is more earthly livingwih luxuries. Rajsic lifestyle or thoughts are to do good fo world and people around. Its not so much as sacrifice as knowing how to self regulate.

Tamsic is giving into basal instincts. This can be compared to givin into seven sins. Tamasic people do not have much control or regulation. They are concerned with self happiness even if it is at the cost of others. It is about instant gratification.

Mindewiz is correct in the understanding that these are building blocks of indviduals- their physical and psychological nature.

Do let me know your questions around this. I think namasteindia and i can bring in perspectivs from Indian culture and philosophy.

May

Fire Cat said:
Thanks for the info.

Do you think the "pillars" are synonymous with the elements?

The pillars are not synonymous to elements. The pillars are aims in life of person. This article might provide more understanding of pillars - http://www.hinduwebsite.com/hinduism/h_aims.asp

Dharma means rightousness, arth means wealth, kama means desires (usually sexual) and moksha means salvation. More details in the link above