A slew of questions

Torkie

Hello all :) I've read just about every word on this forum three pages back, and you all seem to be a very knowledgeable bunch, so hopefully you can help me.

As a bit of background, I've been reading for about a year, and I'm interested in finding a place to plunk a tip jar down and read for a wider variety of people. But with that comes... questions!

I've heard that there are certain legalities surrounding health readings. Can anyone clear this up for me? (I live in California, if that matters).

Where should I look to set up shop? It's my understanding that you can plop down in a coffee shop, but I imagine speaking with the manager would be in order beforehand. Can anyone give me suggestions on how to work this out?

Any particular suggestions to attract people? I don't want to set up a real business, per say, so I don't want to sink significant amount of money in to cards or fliers.

What do you do about *those* people that come up to you and proclaim you the spawn of Satan? My current strategy is to say, "Thank you for your concern," but that really doesn't seem to quiet them down fast enough (I am pretty young, but I look most respectable, not like a stereotypical "Satanist" teenager)

nisaba

Torkie said:
I've heard that there are certain legalities surrounding health readings. Can anyone clear this up for me? (I live in California, if that matters).
I don't know about California, but anywhere i=on earth, it is a really bad idea to make any kind of diagnosis without the qualifications and experience to do so.

It's my understanding that you can plop down in a coffee shop, but I imagine speaking with the manager would be in order beforehand. Can anyone give me suggestions on how to work this out?
Talk to the manager. Offer them a percentage as rent for a table that would otherwise be earning them more money through food. If tehy say no, it is *their* right! After all, they pay all the costs.

Approach cafes that already have readers in there some days, but don't on all days. Ask for one of their empty days.

Any particular suggestions to attract people? I don't want to set up a real business, per say, so I don't want to sink significant amount of money in to cards or fliers.
Nice signage, nice tablecloths, look pleasant.

What do you do about *those* people that come up to you and proclaim you the spawn of Satan?
How many of them have you met? How many are you anticipating meeting?

A nice diversionary tactic is to accuse them of being superstitious. Laugh at them, tell them that the evil is in their mind, not yours.

Torkie

nisaba said:
I don't know about California, but anywhere i=on earth, it is a really bad idea to make any kind of diagnosis without the qualifications and experience to do so.
It is definitely not my plan to do medical or health readings, but I'm curious as to if other people do them, and the outcomes and such.

How many of them have you met? How many are you anticipating meeting?

A nice diversionary tactic is to accuse them of being superstitious. Laugh at them, tell them that the evil is in their mind, not yours.

I've met a few, and am not *planning* on meeting any more, but you know how it can be, I suppose. Despite living in southern California, I live in a very conservative county and a very conservative town. We do have our liberals, but for the most part our Christians seem very active in wanting to save me, et cetera.

My friend suggested I tell them that I server darker lords than Satan, but I think I'll forgo that ;)

Thank you for your other advice as well :)

Little_Sparrow

Torkie said:
It is definitely not my plan to do medical or health readings, but I'm curious as to if other people do them, and the outcomes and such.

I've met a few, and am not *planning* on meeting any more, but you know how it can be, I suppose. Despite living in southern California, I live in a very conservative county and a very conservative town. We do have our liberals, but for the most part our Christians seem very active in wanting to save me, et cetera.

My friend suggested I tell them that I server darker lords than Satan, but I think I'll forgo that ;)

Thank you for your other advice as well :)

If your townsfolk are anything similar to my grandmother - if tell them as your friends suggested they'll tell you that demons have warped your mind. OoOooOooOooOoOooo

Anastacia

Torkie said:
Hello all :)
What do you do about *those* people that come up to you and proclaim you the spawn of Satan? My current strategy is to say, "Thank you for your concern," but that really doesn't seem to quiet them down fast enough (I am pretty young, but I look most respectable, not like a stereotypical "Satanist" teenager)
I helped out on a stall with a friend - town square market/rotary fair markets - we had this a couple of times. She would always take the bait and get quite riled, which would just get them overexcited and keep it going. You have to really disengage - a lot like handling unwanted door knockers. I think even 'thank you for your concern' makes them feel a bit appreciated a gives a bit of energy to keep them going. Definitely avoid eye contact, do some body positioning that blocks them out and ask them gently but firmly to please leave me alone.

SunChariot

I don't know the answer to a lot of your questions as I am strictly an online only reader. BUT as for health questions, my advice is don't. If someone asks you for a reading on health issues, legal issues or any question that is best answered by a professional...it is generally best ot tell them that that is a question best handled by a professional (medical,legala....) not by a Tarot reading.

There are certain questions it is best not to accept. Also any that don't feel completley moral to you.

Babs