conflicting readings

minfx99

what do you do when you get conflicting readings??

for example, i was reading for a friend about her love interest and the deck was saying that he felt a sense of permanence in their relationship (10 of pentacles) and then a day later the deck was saying their relationship was done (8 of cups) I don't understand how I can get two very contradictory readings about the same situation.

gregory

I wouldn't read more than once on the same question for a good few weeks... I think this is the kind of thing that happens when you ask too often. I would run with the first reading.

Unless there has been a sudden and demonstrable change in circumstances, of course - like someone emigrating out of range - but even then, you never know...

Amary

Maybe if you tried seeing the cards more fluidly it would be helpful? For instance, while I normally see the 8 of cups as leaving something behind, if I trusted the 10 of pents was saying that their relationship was solid, perhaps in this situation it is suggesting that she doesn't have to tend to the relationship every second, but can develop other areas of her life and that those cups will still be full. Perhaps it's suggesting that there is baggage that she does need to leave behind so she can move forward with the relationship.

I tend to see the cards as an equation. THe eight of cups by itself is one thing, but when you add it to other cards in the spread, what does it amount to?

gregory

Even so - this was two readings a day apart for the same question.... Not the ideal approach, IMHO.

minfx99

well they weren't the same question, but on the same topic. hmmm i can't even remember the question but they could have been very similar

Torkie

minfx99 said:
well they weren't the same question, but on the same topic. hmmm i can't even remember the question but they could have been very similar

Did you use the same spread for the two questions?

Sometimes, my cards answer not the question, but speak to me directly. One person here told an interesting story: She was trying to use her tarot cards to predict a time span, which is notoriously difficult (and most people will say impossible) to do. The card she pulled was the Fool. She realized that instead of giving her an answer, her deck was calling her a Fool for using in in inappropriate ways.

Perhaps your cards were speaking to you or her directly instead of answering the question. Maybe they were telling you or your friend to let the issue go and ask about something else, or "move away" from the issue until it develops further.

Just after I started reading for my friends I began taking notes of every reading I did. I started this to keep track of the repeat cards they got (because they often asked about the same situation, they would get many repeated cards). I would highly recommend you keep track of your spreads and card positions, or at the very least the type of questions your friends ask. My notes on my readings have proved to be invaluable for both my sitters and my studies.

nisaba

minfx99 said:
what do you do when you get conflicting readings??

for example, i was reading for a friend about her love interest and the deck was saying that he felt a sense of permanence in their relationship (10 of pentacles) and then a day later the deck was saying their relationship was done (8 of cups) I don't understand how I can get two very contradictory readings about the same situation.
(my emphasis).

Reading twice in two days on the same subject without anything having changed in the real world?

The deck is telling you to respect its first answer, or it will give you nonsense.

Also, if you (or your client) don't respect the answers you get from readings, what hope is there of them doing the necessary work in their life and relationship to achieve the desired outcomes?

minfx99

torkie, i totally know what you're talking about with the cards talking to you. i distinctly remember a spread i did for myself on a love matter a while back where i pulled the hermit, the hanged man, and the 7 of cups to the question: how do i draw this man back into my life? it was so obvious, the deck was telling me to rethink if i even want this man, and that i need to let go of false expectations and hope. right on the money with that one.

Torkie

minfx99 said:
torkie, i totally know what you're talking about with the cards talking to you. i distinctly remember a spread i did for myself on a love matter a while back where i pulled the hermit, the hanged man, and the 7 of cups to the question: how do i draw this man back into my life? it was so obvious, the deck was telling me to rethink if i even want this man, and that i need to let go of false expectations and hope. right on the money with that one.

The problem is usually seeing that the deck is talking to you instead of answering the question!

However, I once again agree with the others on here: you should respect the tarot, and not bludgeon it with very similar questions. You will either get a very sarcastic or nonsense answer if you try.

Amary

I agree that if you keep reading the same question over and over, and not trusting the answers you get, that's counter productive, but I think there's a difference between doing that, and laying out another spread on the same question because you're looking for clarification.