Which RWS?

Barleywine

I was thinking (always a dangerous thing) that I haven't bought a new deck in about 15 years and haven't owned an RWS in about 4 decades, so maybe I should get a new one of those to go with all the books I own that are companion to it. If I recall correctly, the one I used to have was all bright, flat primary colors. I understand the intent of that but it was kinda hard on the eyes. I see that there are several options now that use the original drawings but handle the colors very differently. The so-called "original" version seems to have rather muted colors, but it looks much better than my old gaudy one, which is also still available to purchase. Then there is the "radiant" one that grabs me better than the other two. There are probably a few others I don't know about. For those of you who use RWS, which version do you prefer and why? I doubt I'll read with it given my long-standing Thoth fixation, but will probably use it for study.

Carla

You might try posting this question in the RWS forum, there are experts there! And already several threads there you might read through for ideas.

Barleywine

Carla said:
You might try posting this question in the RWS forum, there are experts there! And already several threads there you might read through for ideas.

I didn't realize there was one. Perhaps the site administrator will move this.

Edit: Thanks, Carla. I found an excellent, in-depth answer from Sulis on the RWS forum. The questions was almost identical to mine.

Le Fanu

Did yours have tartan backs? That's the classic one which you probably had...

Before this gets moved, let me just say which easily available one I'd go for. I like the "Original". I think it has gentle, muted and reasonably authentic colours. Plus the original calligraphy (which the yellow box/Magus fronted one doesn't have).

The Pamela Colman Smith Commemorative set has a nice deck to work with and many people love it. It's a lovely set to buy and use if you're coming back to tarot after a few years and want the sense of a nice, clean start, fresh lines, nice packaging. Definitely a good buy.

Carla

And I'll be the anti-LeFanu ( ;) ) and say I really love the Radiant Rider I just bought and trimmed to no-borders/no-titles! tee hee

Barleywine

Le Fanu said:
Did yours have tartan backs? That's the classic one which you probably had...

Before this gets moved, let me just say which easily available one I'd go for. I like the "Original". I think it has gentle, muted and reasonably authentic colours. Plus the original calligraphy (which the yellow box/Magus fronted one doesn't have).

The Pamela Colman Smith Commemorative set has a nice deck to work with and many people love it. It's a lovely set to buy and use if you're coming back to tarot after a few years and want the sense of a nice, clean start, fresh lines, nice packaging. Definitely a good buy.

Yep, tartan backs (Not a very inspired choice, IMHO. Waite must have been invoking the Scottish Rite or something . . . no, no, that's a joke) and it did have calligraphy instead of block print. Thanks for giving me a couple of ideas. I think muted rather than glowing is more my style.

Emily

Hi barleywine, have you checked out the scans of the Centennial edition, it does come as a commemorative set but the deck has been toned down and aged, no garish colours, a very light laminate and very nice card stock. It has the feel of the 'Original RWS' but the dark outlining is not so intrusive and the colouring is nicer.
I prefer this version over all the others now. :)

Freddie

My favourite is the Albano-Waite.

Freddie

GryffinSong

Another vote for the Pamela Colman Smith Commemorative version. Not only are the colors nicely muted and lovely, but the backs are actually interesting. Most RWS backs irritate the heck out of me.

PathWalker

Universal Waite for me, same outlines, colour by Mary Hanson-Roberts. :)