PDA

View Full Version : PM "problem"

gregory
17-06-2011, 23:58
The fast reply thing is very handy. :thumbsup:

BUT - it is far too easy to click on submit, below it, before you have added anything - or by mistake when intending to switch to advanced mode.

I don't know if we still have the "too few characters" warning for posts, but could that or something like it be implemented so we don't keep sending people's own PMs back to them unanswered (I have received two and sent three, so far !)

Wendywu
18-06-2011, 00:02
Heh! I've been doing that for ages ......

gregory
18-06-2011, 00:08
Heh! I've been doing that for ages ......

I know :D

But it is so VERY easy with that fast reply box....

KMilliron
18-06-2011, 00:20
I can't say I've ever done that haha. But then again, I never click the advanced mode button.

gregory
30-07-2011, 01:16
Sigh.

Just did it AGAIN... Would it maybe be possible to set PM preferences NOT to allow or to "hide" fast reply ??? (IS it possible to ? One moment...)

Rats - no it isn't; COULD it PLEASE be ?

nisaba
30-07-2011, 11:19
but could that or something like it be implemented so we don't keep sending people's own PMs back to them unanswered (I have received two and sent three, so far !)
<soothingly> I forgive you. And anyway, more posts in my in-box make me feel more loved. :)

gregory
30-07-2011, 19:38
You must feel WORSHIPPED - I just did it again.....

Am I alone here ? am I (as I always suspected) the most stupidest person on AT ? I need help, Solandia... :(

Seriously - on another forum I am on, the fast reply thing can be turned off for posts, and I THINK also for PMs.... Could it please be made possible here ?

Debra
30-07-2011, 19:40
??? What are you talking about??? Why would you hit "submit" if you haven't said anything????

eta: it's configured exactly the same as the "reply" box for a thread post.

nisaba
30-07-2011, 19:42
You must feel WORSHIPPED
<cackle> That's only fair and proper.

gregory
30-07-2011, 20:12
??? What are you talking about??? Why would you hit "submit" if you haven't said anything????

eta: it's configured exactly the same as the "reply" box for a thread post.

That's kind of why. The box is there; I sort of expect to hit "reply" so that I can do - but where I would expect to do that (where it says on a post "post reply") it says "submit" and before you know it.... nisaba has yet another PM !

Priestess
30-07-2011, 20:21
I have done this umpteen times too I'm afraid. It is a bit of a pain.

I also keep clicking to go to my private messages and then sit like an idiot waiting for it to go automatically, wonder what's wrong and then realise I need to press the dropdown.

I think it's old age and senility setting in with me on the drop down thing. How many times do I need to keep doing this before it sinks in????? :confused:

GreenMoonBeam
30-07-2011, 20:54
........xxx

Sulis
30-07-2011, 21:10
I'd like the option to turn it off too if that's possible. I've not sent blank PMs but mods tend to send PMs to multiple people at the same time and I keep forgetting to switch to Advanced mode which gives a 'cc' box at the top which is a bit of a pain.

gregory
30-07-2011, 21:20
I'd like the option to turn it off too if that's possible. I've not sent blank PMs but mods tend to send PMs to multiple people at the same time and I keep forgetting to switch to Advanced mode which gives a 'cc' box at the top which is a bit of a pain.

Blank would kind of be better than returning the sender's PM - that almost looks like you were saying "piss off I don't CARE about what you write"...!

Wendywu
30-07-2011, 21:43
I agree. I send more than my fair share empty pm's (always reminds me of "Bring on the Empty Horses"), and like Sulis I use fast reply before I remember that I'm supposed to be cc'ing a whole group of people.

gregory
30-07-2011, 21:48
But to Priestess - I use the Private Messages link top right to start... it's what happens after that that's a problem....

To thickos like me, anyway :D

ETA I was just looking again.... we now have a bcc option. Does that mean that now people can see who else you sent to, in the normal run of things (I don't mind, on the contrary it will save some typing; just wondered !)

Wendywu
30-07-2011, 22:05
Yeah - there's a line at the very, very top of the pm that says "Recipients: ...." and lists them all if it's open cc. Very useful :)

GreenMoonBeam
31-07-2011, 01:07
But to Priestess - I use the Private Messages link top right to start... it's what happens after that that's a problem....

To thickos like me, anyway :D

ETA I was just looking again.... we now have a bcc option. Does that mean that now people can see who else you sent to, in the normal run of things (I don't mind, on the contrary it will save some typing; just wondered !)

BCC = Blind Carbon Copy, you dont see who the other people were unless you sent it and you look in your sent items.

that's the amazing/male explanation from vbulletin :(..... Sender only has the means to see:)

GMB

gregory
31-07-2011, 01:19
BCC = Blind Carbon Copy, you dont see who the other people were unless you sent it and you look in your sent items.

that's the amazing/male explanation from vbulletin :(..... Sender only has the means to see:)

GMB

Yes I KNOW - and that is an option with regular emails. But in the past, when you sent a PM to several people. they'd only see that you sent it to them - it was LIKE BCC. Now that there is a BCC option, I was wondering if I no longer need to put "copied to x y and z" in the body, as they will already know. Hang on; will test on you !

YES we DO ! Thanks me; I worked it out all alone !!! (though NOW I see WendyWu had already said this ! Great stuff !)

WOW - we now get a drop down list of suggested names. End of misspelled ones called "there is no member by that name..."