Do you always follow the advice of the cards?

BrightEye

I've been wondering about this and I can increasingly see the wisdom in following the cards. This may seem like a no-brainer to some, but if you are of the swordish persuasion like myself you sometimes tend to question the validity of a reading. That and the thought that one always has choice. I resorted to that not long ago. I did two readings (choice question). The readings said that if I followed option 2, things would turn out happy for me. Well, for complicated reasons I decided that since I had choice I'd follow option 1, which had not so good cards. And things have been not so good since.

So, despite the fact that we have choice, the cards are always right. Right? Discuss. :D

firecatpickles

I do not always follow the advice of the cards.

My approach is usually one of two ways. Either I have made a decision or, like you, have alternatives that I would like wisdom imparted upon it in order to confirm I have made the right decision; or, I use tarot as a fortune-telling device (i.e., "What will the outcome of my test be?")

For me there is a danger in relying heavily on what the cards tell me to do. I prefer spreads where I am given options, because even in a lesser-of-two-evils decision there are positive repercussions down the road. Similarly, choosing one option over the other for whatever benefit in the present, there may be negative outcomes at a later date. This is where personal choice and will comes in, and fortune-telling. "What is the most probable outcome if I decide X over Y or Z?"

These are just a few reasons and examples why I prefer using tarot as a fortune-teller than a decision-maker. I prefer to make my own decision. But that being said; I'd like to reiterate; I will do spread like you, BrightEye, that shed light on the outcome of two possibilities. I think this is an excellent approach. It allows tarot to be more like a counselor than a parent.

GryffinSong

I use tarot as a tool for enrichment, enlightenment, and to open my mind to possibilies. I would never blindly follow what I thought to be its advice. That's what my own intuition and decision making skills are for. Tarot is one of many tools that can help my decision process, but it's never the only tool I use.

Barleywine

I've been wondering about this and I can increasingly see the wisdom in following the cards. This may seem like a no-brainer to some, but if you are of the swordish persuasion like myself you sometimes tend to question the validity of a reading. That and the thought that one always has choice. I resorted to that not long ago. I did two readings (choice question). The readings said that if I followed option 2, things would turn out happy for me. Well, for complicated reasons I decided that since I had choice I'd follow option 1, which had not so good cards. And things have been not so good since.

So, despite the fact that we have choice, the cards are always right. Right? Discuss. :D

Ah, the old determinism vs. free will debate. My experience has been that the cards ARE right at some (often deeper) level. They may not clearly show a particular action to take at a given time, but perhaps a certain mind-set to adopt that would set you up for events to play out in a more beneficial (or perhaps less dire) way. Suppose you need money but can't: a) convince your boss to give you a raise; b) rob a bank; or c) poison a rich uncle to get that inheritance :bugeyed:; you can still work on self-worth or self-esteem aspects of your personal awareness to align yourself with ("cosmic," "universal," "trans-personal," "collective unconscious," etc etc etc) energies that could "attract money to you." (Sorry for going all mystical just then . . .) It taps into the concept that "each of us unconsciously creates his or her own reality."

Amanda

I have more belief in the cards for other people than I do for myself. For myself it seems, I file away the reading in my mind and keep it their to objectively dismantle later and see how it turned out. I guess I'm in constant "learner" mode, when it comes to myself.

KMilliron

A good chunk of the advice tarot gives me is stuff I've been trying to do anyways haha. That or I'm already doing it. Tarot seems to give me the simple "Look before you cross" kind of advice, though I know people won't always take it.

Though let the record show that I do indeed look before I cross. The only times I get hit by any sort of vehicle is when that old man up the street waits for me to go to my aunts, and even then he's only managed to hit me twice :D

MareSaturni

I only follow the cards advice if I want to.

I have some times gone against what they said. Not always it was for the best, but usually I felt more truthful to my own wishes and emotions.

I think we need to follow the advice of the cards when it feels right for us. But when it gets in the way of certain impulses, it is not necessarily good. Even if you may come a bit hurt in the end, learning come much more from living life than avoiding every 'bad' thing in the way.

poopsie

I use the tarot more to help me make choices and check possible consequences of actions or decisions I take. very often though, I tend to follow it's advice but only when my intuition tells me that it seems ok ... There are instances I sometimes decide not to follow it more because I can sense that there is still something remiss. I find myself relying on my intuition more ... The tarot provides me wise counsel if I use large spreads for reading. I guess that's what seems to work for me ... When I use larger spreads and although it takes awhile, I feel more certain about the advice I get. Maybe because the readings become more comprehensive ... At least for me this seems ok.

tarotcognito

I use tarot as a tool for enrichment, enlightenment, and to open my mind to possibilies. I would never blindly follow what I thought to be its advice. That's what my own intuition and decision making skills are for. Tarot is one of many tools that can help my decision process, but it's never the only tool I use.
What she said. :)