Website Recommendations

Wonderwoman

I have a growing interest in Astrology these days and would love to know which websites out there do you recommend for purchasing accurate, detailed natal charts. Also any astrologers that you personally suggest would be very helpful.

Very interested and Thank you in Advance!!

Ww :)

FaireMaiden

I have a growing interest in Astrology these days and would love to know which websites out there do you recommend for purchasing accurate, detailed natal charts. Also any astrologers that you personally suggest would be very helpful. Very interested and Thank you in Advance!! Ww :)
I don't know what you mean by 'detailed'. Also, why purchase when you can get them for free all over the web?

I learned to erect charts by hand. With the advent of 'computer-world', (and before I bought my own astro-software-- Sirius), I dipped my toes in the water by using Astrodeinst to create charts. It's free and you can save up to 100 charts you create... http://www.astro.com

As far as astrologers go... what branch of astrology are you interested in? Natal, Synastry, Horary, Electional, Financial, Medical, Vocational? What is it you're requiring? (I consider 'Predictive Astrology' to be naturally incorporated into all of these).

The one thing that must always be avoided are the 'canned reports' advertised by so-called 'astrologers', even tho those 'canned reports' have been written by some top-notch astrologers, *sigh*. Anyone can buy these so-called 'interpretive programs' and turn-around and sell the reports they spit-out as bonafide astrological delineations. They are anything but and will disappoint every time. Why? Because it's not an astrologer that is delineating your chart... you're listening to a compupter instead. Ugh. Don't get me started on this. They are the bane of our profession, and all produced in the name of 'making a buck'. They give astrology a bad name and have set back the profession decades towards any kind of legitimacy.

As a professional astrologer myself, I am thoroughly disgusted and utterly appalled that these kinds of 'interpretive software programs' were created... and consummately ashamed of the astrologers who created them and then foisted them on an unknowing public. Shame on them for all eternity!

Minderwiz

FaireMaiden makes some very good points. There are many websites that can help you learn - indeed so many it can become quite confusing, but they are free. You will find some of these in our resources thread

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=15205

of which I'd pick out www.astro.com (as mentioned by FaireMaiden) and Skyscript

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/

as good starting points.

I totally agree with FaireMaiden on those computer generated reports - some might be written by top notch professionals but usually that 'writing' consists solely of a series of individual delineations of planetary aspects, planetary placements by sign and planetary placements by house - a set of short paragraphs which are then selected by the computer and cobbled together as an alleged 'report'. Some of these will run to 50 pages or more, so in that sense they are 'detailed' but they really don't synthesise and often leave out important features.

These days Astrology is hopelessly fractured into a myriad different approaches (some would say 'gloriously fractured') so even if you're interested in one branch of Astrology you'll find totally different approaches - indeed you won't find agreement on what bodies to use, what sign rulerships to use and what things/people houses rule. This can be incredibly confusing but if you look through the resources thread you should find some good starting points - Skyscript is pretty good on this as it gives easy access to planets, signs and houses, both as they were originally and modern variations. However, my experience from this site, is that diverse approaches can often lead to the same conclusions - so you need to find an approach which fits your outlook on life.

One further problem that you'll encounter is that there's nothing stopping anyone declaring themselves a 'Professional Astrologer' setting up a website and taking your money. One way of overcoming that, if you're looking for a professional consultation is to use the lists provided by the various bodies offering Astrology qualifications, and of course word of mouth. But as FaireMaiden cautions, you need to have a reasonably clear idea of what you are looking for and what you expect from your chosen Astrologer.

FaireMaiden

These days Astrology is hopelessly fractured into a myriad different approaches

'Hopelessly fractured' is right! *lol*

Also any astrologers that you personally suggest would be very helpful.

...if you're looking for a professional consultation is to use the lists provided by the various bodies offering Astrology qualifications, and of course word of mouth. But as FaireMaiden cautions, you need to have a reasonably clear idea of what you are looking for and what you expect from your chosen Astrologer.
Here are links to two lists of the kinds of Certified Astrologers Minderwiz is referring to:

AFA (American Federation of Astrologers): http://www.astrologers.com/selecting/

ISAR (International Society of Astrological Research): http://www.isarastrology.com/index.php?option=com_cap2&Itemid=75

Wonderwoman

Thank you!!

FaireMaiden, Thank you for your help on this. To be honest with you, I do not even know about horary, synastry, etc. I am deeply interested in natal charts and would like to learn so that i can do them for my family members. To see where our planets agree, collide, what we can do to prevent, alert, guide on the right path.
I visited the astro site and did my chart. Very interesting and fascinating information. It appears I have a Virgo Rising with a Leo Moon. I'm a Scorpio. My daughter is a Virgo with a Scorpio rising and a Libra Moon. Interesting pair huh??

It appears I have light years ahead of me of learning Astrology. It truly looks fascinating and very detailed. Sigh...

Ww :)

I don't know what you mean by 'detailed'. Also, why purchase when you can get them for free all over the web?

I learned to erect charts by hand. With the advent of 'computer-world', (and before I bought my own astro-software-- Sirius), I dipped my toes in the water by using Astrodeinst to create charts. It's free and you can save up to 100 charts you create... http://www.astro.com

As far as astrologers go... what branch of astrology are you interested in? Natal, Synastry, Horary, Electional, Financial, Medical, Vocational? What is it you're requiring? (I consider 'Predictive Astrology' to be naturally incorporated into all of these).

The one thing that must always be avoided are the 'canned reports' advertised by so-called 'astrologers', even tho those 'canned reports' have been written by some top-notch astrologers, *sigh*. Anyone can buy these so-called 'interpretive programs' and turn-around and sell the reports they spit-out as bonafide astrological delineations. They are anything but and will disappoint every time. Why? Because it's not an astrologer that is delineating your chart... you're listening to a compupter instead. Ugh. Don't get me started on this. They are the bane of our profession, and all produced in the name of 'making a buck'. They give astrology a bad name and have set back the profession decades towards any kind of legitimacy.

As a professional astrologer myself, I am thoroughly disgusted and utterly appalled that these kinds of 'interpretive software programs' were created... and consummately ashamed of the astrologers who created them and then foisted them on an unknowing public. Shame on them for all eternity!

Wonderwoman

Thank you too!!! :)

Hi Minderwiz and Thank you for the pointers. I will now look up skyscript and see where it leads me. Will report back to you!

:)

FaireMaiden makes some very good points. There are many websites that can help you learn - indeed so many it can become quite confusing, but they are free. You will find some of these in our resources thread

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=15205

of which I'd pick out www.astro.com (as mentioned by FaireMaiden) and Skyscript

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/

as good starting points.

I totally agree with FaireMaiden on those computer generated reports - some might be written by top notch professionals but usually that 'writing' consists solely of a series of individual delineations of planetary aspects, planetary placements by sign and planetary placements by house - a set of short paragraphs which are then selected by the computer and cobbled together as an alleged 'report'. Some of these will run to 50 pages or more, so in that sense they are 'detailed' but they really don't synthesise and often leave out important features.

These days Astrology is hopelessly fractured into a myriad different approaches (some would say 'gloriously fractured') so even if you're interested in one branch of Astrology you'll find totally different approaches - indeed you won't find agreement on what bodies to use, what sign rulerships to use and what things/people houses rule. This can be incredibly confusing but if you look through the resources thread you should find some good starting points - Skyscript is pretty good on this as it gives easy access to planets, signs and houses, both as they were originally and modern variations. However, my experience from this site, is that diverse approaches can often lead to the same conclusions - so you need to find an approach which fits your outlook on life.

One further problem that you'll encounter is that there's nothing stopping anyone declaring themselves a 'Professional Astrologer' setting up a website and taking your money. One way of overcoming that, if you're looking for a professional consultation is to use the lists provided by the various bodies offering Astrology qualifications, and of course word of mouth. But as FaireMaiden cautions, you need to have a reasonably clear idea of what you are looking for and what you expect from your chosen Astrologer.

FaireMaiden

FaireMaiden, Thank you for your help on this. To be honest with you, I do not even know about horary, synastry, etc.

Natal = Is basically a 'character analysis'

Horary = The asking of a specific question and casting a chart to glean the answer

Synastry = The comparison of two or more charts, i.e. relationship analysis

Electional = A chart cast for the most auspicious time to begin something. Often cast for wedding days, when to start a business, buy/remodel a house, ask for a loan, etc.

Financial = Most usually for those wishing to make financial investments such as in stockbroking

Medical = For health and healing issues

Vocational = To discover one's best professional/career path

Predictive = Uses progressions, solar arcs, and returns to see what's coming-up in one's life

I am deeply interested in natal charts and would like to learn so that i can do them for my family members. To see where our planets agree, collide, what we can do to prevent, alert, guide on the right path.
This would be considered Synastry and Predictive

I visited the astro site and did my chart. Very interesting and fascinating information. It appears I have a Virgo Rising with a Leo Moon. I'm a Scorpio. My daughter is a Virgo with a Scorpio rising and a Libra Moon. Interesting pair huh??
This, also, would fall under the heading of Synastry. Alas, while the entire charts of both people must be compared, with the information given it sounds like you and your daughter have a lovely compatibility.

It appears I have light years ahead of me of learning Astrology. It truly looks fascinating and very detailed. Sigh... Ww :)
No sighing allowed! *lol*. While astrology is very detailed and, initially, time-consuming to learn, the rewards are so very well-worth the effort. Such knowledge is invaluable and will serve for a lifetime in assisting yourself, and your family, in steering your courses thru life to those positive outcomes you're desirous of achieving... and be of great help in those times of crises by enabling one to see the light at the end of the tunnel. 'This too shall pass' irrevocably applies to astrology as it will tell when a burden will lift. This gives hope and faith to a seeming hopelessness felt by those who do not utilize astrology's gifts.

If you wish to learn, (as opposed to hiring an astrologer), then I would suggest taking a professional course of study. To this end, I recommend the AFA's, (American Federation of Astrologers), program which can be found here:

AFA Astrology Correspondence Course http://www.astrologers.com/learn/

It's inexpensive, and the payments can be made over time. You will be assigned an astrologer as your onlilne mentor, and there is no deadline to finish the course. You go at your own pace, taking as much, or as little, time as required by you to complete the course to your satisfaction.

GreenMoonBeam

Where does Sidereal astrology 'fit'? If it is recognized as a type of astrology. :)

GMB

dadsnook2000

Sidereal ?

Sidereal astrology can be taken as a two-piece pie. The term "sidereal" means "of the stars" and the zodiac (12 signs of 30 degrees each) is positioned relative to the fixed stars. This means that zero Aries remains in one place relative to the star background and does not regress along Earth's orbital plane as does the Tropical Zodiac. The zero Aries point (first day of spring in the northern hemisphere) slowly slides backwards relative to the stars at a rate of about one degree in 72 years and is currently around 5 degrees of Pisces. In a couple of hundred years it will enter the last degrees of Sidereal Aquarius."

Most "western" astrologers use the Tropical zodiac for a number of reasons. Most Indian astrologers use the Sidereal zodiac, again for a number of reasons. All in all, the zodiac is first and foremost a measuring and positioning tool. The fact that signs are given interpretive value is a fairly recent development. Indian astrologers give little value to sign meanings in the way that western astrologers do.

The other "piece of the pie" lies in the astrological practices of Sidereal astrologers which are generally quite different in many areas, especially in the use of "return" charts and charts derived from solar returns and lunar returns. Natal charts are important, of course, but the use of return charts of different types is equally important as the focus seems to be on what one does in life on an ongoing basis relative to the potential shown in the natal chart.

As you noted, there can be a bit to learn concerning astrology. Dave

Wonderwoman

Wowww!!!

Sorry for the delay in response FaireMaiden, got caught up with that Casey ordeal and now realize your wonderful explanation was waiting for me!!! Thank you so much, and it looks like I have a lot to learn. I think i will venture into the online course, I love the timing aspects of astrology. Just fascinated by it really.

:)

Natal = Is basically a 'character analysis'

Horary = The asking of a specific question and casting a chart to glean the answer

Synastry = The comparison of two or more charts, i.e. relationship analysis

Electional = A chart cast for the most auspicious time to begin something. Often cast for wedding days, when to start a business, buy/remodel a house, ask for a loan, etc.

Financial = Most usually for those wishing to make financial investments such as in stockbroking

Medical = For health and healing issues

Vocational = To discover one's best professional/career path

Predictive = Uses progressions, solar arcs, and returns to see what's coming-up in one's life

This would be considered Synastry and Predictive

This, also, would fall under the heading of Synastry. Alas, while the entire charts of both people must be compared, with the information given it sounds like you and your daughter have a lovely compatibility.

No sighing allowed! *lol*. While astrology is very detailed and, initially, time-consuming to learn, the rewards are so very well-worth the effort. Such knowledge is invaluable and will serve for a lifetime in assisting yourself, and your family, in steering your courses thru life to those positive outcomes you're desirous of achieving... and be of great help in those times of crises by enabling one to see the light at the end of the tunnel. 'This too shall pass' irrevocably applies to astrology as it will tell when a burden will lift. This gives hope and faith to a seeming hopelessness felt by those who do not utilize astrology's gifts.

If you wish to learn, (as opposed to hiring an astrologer), then I would suggest taking a professional course of study. To this end, I recommend the AFA's, (American Federation of Astrologers), program which can be found here:

AFA Astrology Correspondence Course http://www.astrologers.com/learn/

It's inexpensive, and the payments can be made over time. You will be assigned an astrologer as your onlilne mentor, and there is no deadline to finish the course. You go at your own pace, taking as much, or as little, time as required by you to complete the course to your satisfaction.