Pleasant dream, yard / estate sale, tarot decks, sibilla

SloughSister

For the second time in a couple of months, I fell asleep far earlier than usual and got more than 12 hours of sleep. I woke up without the alarm - what a treat! - emerging from a very nice dream: I was walking down the street and saw a yard sale. I started poking around and found in various boxes at the sale, tarot decks - decks I had already wanted, and then cool, new, interesting decks that I had never seen or heard of.

The yard sale gradually changed into an estate sale inside a peaceful old house, where the items were feminine clothes, art, books, jewelry from the 1920's-1940's of a very cultured woman. I was having so much fun ... prowling through drawers and finding what she had stashed away. I was gathering a nice armful of just mouth-watering decks and then I found the Grande Poobahess: a small, round, very thick - yes, like coasters - or maybe even made out of thin wood? - sibilla deck, nicely colored, both sweet and spunky. They were quite small, about the size of an old U.S. half-dollar. It was crazy ... I've never even looked at a sibilla deck! I know Le Fanu loves them ... so, I guess I'll go take a look at them.

It was a very good dream; I woke up savoring it. :)

Mycroft

Hi SloughSister

I really enjoyed reading your dream, and I noticed some quite interesting things about it, which I hope you don't mind me sharing. I know some people say you shouldn't try and interpret other people's dreams, but since this is more of a re-imagining than an interpretation, and since I'm one of those types that enjoy giving helpful advice to people who are far happier than I am, I hope you'll forgive me.

In the first part where you encountered the yard sale, I couldn't help but notice that there seemed to be a "passage of time" feel, suggested by lots of wonderful vintage old decks, and then all the ones that hadn't been created yet. Is that how it felt to you, were they laid out in a way that suggested a progression, or was it just haphazard?

I then noticed that 'yard sale' is an anagram of 'Lady's ear' and also 'Lady years' (if we double up on the 'y'). I found this interesting because when I read the bit about "..a very cultured woman" from the "1920's-1940's" something in my head immediately said "She's the spirit of the Tarot".

Following this line of thinking, 'Lady's ear' could possibly be a reference to feminine intuition, and 'Lady years' could be a reference to the history of the Tarot. Did you have any sense of this in your feelings about the dream, was the woman more of an historical fictional figure, or perhaps she represented someone you actually knew?

Anyway, thanks for sharing the dream and I'm sure virtually everyone here would love to have the experience of 'stumbling' across lots of vintage or unknown decks!

SloughSister

Mycroft, very generous of you to share your take on this. I mostly have found that to pay attention to the emotion the dream leaves me with is the most useful way to drink from it whatever I can. It's rare that I wake up happy - definitely not a morning person - and this was very pleasant, had a kind, warm, sunshiney feel to it. I think this woman was a society matron who got to be very individualistic, probably a widow of many years, active and zesty. I think she read tarot for so very long that she and the cards knew each other very well, the intimacy of decades. I can't really remember anything else about the dream now since it was a while ago. I remember being in the house best - a slightly dusty, musty smell that was good, like old books that have been kept well. The house felt full of life and laughter that was slowly turning down as with a volume knob.

MareSaturni

I once had a dream in which I caught the wrong bus, and ended up discovering a street close to my home, full of small handicraft stores. However, when you looked in the shelves and in the baskets, you suddenly found many 'lost' uncommon decks, for very cheap. It is as if the owners of the stores had the decks in their home and just wanted to get rid of them.

It was a bit of treasure hunting in these stores! And the street was so sunny - I remember feeling very happy walking from store to store, talking to the people and finding nice decks.

Too bad I never found this street for real, lol! :p

SloughSister

Hey, Marina, sounds like we got to have the same sort of happy, sunny treasure hunting! I'm glad you did - nicer to at least experience it in a dream than not at all! :)

SloughSister

Slightly Freaking Out Here

I don't know whether to hyperventilate or cry. I was idly poking around Google Images and THERE WERE THE ROUND SIBILLA cards from my dream. Okay, maybe they are not perzactly the same, but so much so that I just about lost my teeth. I have not to date been a very ... magickally inclined person, but this is the THIRD time I have seen a deck in my head - known nothing about it whatsoever - as a matter of fact, all 3 of these decks have been quite unusual - and then discovered that it existed out here in this factual world. Holy Heck! These little puppies are called Tea Leaf Fortune Cards or some such. What the Frog?!?!

cardlady22

;) They are exquisite and about to be released in a new edition by US Games. :party:

SloughSister

Sure, enable me, go ahead, right here in the middle of my freaking out ;) :p

cardlady22

whispers

September . . . .

SloughSister

Good thing, too, since they claim to cost, currently, $80-$400! Of course, there are 200 of them. Pert little things.