Tarot reading intercession: Changing the cards to change your future?

Kittysashimi

I came across an interesting article on this and I was wondering if any of you have heard of this, or done it before and how it worked out for you!

http://www.freely-psychic.com/tarot-reading-intercession.html

Tarot reading intercession is an action you can take to change the outcome of your reading.

When you do a tarot reading you may come across a card that represents a situation you would prefer to change. Please keep in mind the future is not fixed. You can change it. This is the fun part!

This is the magical part of tarot work. You change the card. When you change the card, you change not only the future, but also change the situation which it represents. This must only be done at the end of the reading – you must have a clear view of all the cards and their meanings before doing this because until you have all of the information, you don’t really know what it is you want to change, do you?

1)Take the remainder of the cards of the deck – the ones not involved in the reading – and spread them out face down some distance from the spread.

2)Pick up the card in question and speak words of power like these: “I take this card and the situation it represents and I release it out of our lives in all time and space for the good of all and according to the free will of all.” and put the card face down with the other face-down cards.

3)Choose another card and place it in the former card’s position.

Be aware, by doing this you are changing not only the circumstances, but also your own consciousness. You change when you change the card!

If the new card again represents a situation you want to change, repeat the process. Some situations require work. Do not be afraid to make as many changes as are necessary until you see the future that you desire. But, I recommend that you follow the ritual, along with the words of power, so that you do not inadvertently make changes you do not intend.

The power in this intercession is in that you understand you are consciously changing your future!

Barleywine

Personally, I wouldn't change a card in the spread, I would take the insight received and adjust my outlook on the situation such that I'm more vigilant in the area identified and take action to mitigate the potential future difficulties if it seems necessary. I agree it could be valuable to select a more harmonious card to focus on in a meditative or positive-reinforcement way, with the goal of building its influence into my consciousness and thereby my life. But I would do it over time as part of a daily routine, not as a way to immediately reject or overturn the significance of the problematic card in the spread. Simply swapping out a card I don't like for one I do just seems too pat to me. The card presented itself to tell you something you need to know; working through its challenges is part of the life-lesson. I would say it's more mature to try to thoroughly understand the message and contemplate its importance rather than simply throw it away. This whole concept looks too much like a product of our current surface-skimming, instant-gratification-seeking, "just-add-water-and-stir" self-help-guru-driven cultural paradigm. I don't buy it, I think the tarot works at a deeper level.

I would also take a look at my astrological transits and secondary progressions for the time frame of the question to identify other trend indicators.

GryffinSong

This sounds like a varient of the power of positive thinking, and I think it could be just as successful with things where our attitude can affect outcome. It's basically reframing one's attitude to a hoped-for outcome. I don't see any problem with doing it, and in fact see that it could be a powerful tool for self empowerment. My personality is such that I wouldn't add all the magical-spell type speak to the process, but the general idea is something I might try.

AJ

What they said. Change the attitude and outlook, not the card, otherwise what you have is just wishcraft.

Not to say you couldn't, that is sort of what the exercise asks you to do, but changing the card itself says you are still giving your power to outside forces. Change comes from within

Cerulean

If the card helps you work toward success and change

then this can influence your attitude.

But if the optimism is short lived, if you are avoiding what is most inevitable. Say you know you do have to pay taxes, but keep changing your outcome cards in your reading to say you will get a nine of cups wish and six of cups generousity from someone else--will your taxes go away?

I am wondering if this is an effective idea for those who repeatedly seek multiple readings on the same topic. The dependency on hopes in a card reading and them the plaintive depondency that they changed their cards and the future was not what they wished.

As an experimental reading tool where the seeker also does active resolution and problem-solving, the switch is only one helpful change in mental outlook. If it is part of a ritual for positive change, I could see how a kinder mood could result and hope it helps inspire active betterment.

GryffinSong

Like any tool it will only work if the person uses it as inspiration for action. For folks who want changing a card to magically change their lives with no input on their part ... I don't think it will make any difference at all.

nisaba

I came across an interesting article on this and I was wondering if any of you have heard of this, or done it before and how it worked out for you!
Tarot Magic, yes, I was playing with this in the 1970s and 80s, more than I am now.

You've got to realise it doesn't actually mechanically change anything. But keeping more positive desirable images in the forefront of your mind can HELP YOU to choose to change your attitudes in yourself, and that changes of attitudes affect outcomes in all areas of your life.

You still have to put the work in, yourself.