PDA

View Full Version : Skins

tigerlily
23-07-2011, 02:16
Is it possible to add more skins? I'd like some soft greens or light browns that are easier on the eyes (I stare at a computer screen all day long at work and either purple or plain are just too much strain after that).

amethyst57
23-07-2011, 03:54
cool idea, tigerlily....

a lot of forums i've been on in the past, had like 5 choices of skins,
from minimalist to dark themes...greens and browns would be nice,
or even softer purples and blues...

Sulis
23-07-2011, 04:39
But one of Aeclectic's 'things' is that it's 'The Purple Place'... I really don't want to see other colours.. If you don't like the purple then there's always the plain white skin.
I like the fact that we're not like other forums and you can't change the colour of the forum skin.

Debra
23-07-2011, 22:54
My eyes are shot and I have to agree.
What if we promise to continue to call it "the purple place" with a visually softer skin?

Sulis
23-07-2011, 23:25
How is this purple any harsher on the eyes than another colour would be? It's not as if it's glowing, bright purple; it's quite soft and subdued to my eyes.

What colours would you think would be easier to look at?

SloughSister
23-07-2011, 23:30
For me, these colors are softer and gentler than some, maybe many, others. They have a history, welcomed me here with a certain aura and panache, and I am loyal to the phrase "The Purple Pages." However, I do find eyestrain after a while.

For me there could be some even-gentler hues. It has to do with saturation and brightness, too. I can adjust brightness and contrast on my screen. Hues and saturation I can't change... I instinctively think of the earth tones, too - as others have said, soft (and nice-looking) green with brown or brown with green. Gentle.

tigerlily
24-07-2011, 01:20
How is this purple any harsher on the eyes than another colour would be? It's not as if it's glowing, bright purple; it's quite soft and subdued to my eyes.

What colours would you think would be easier to look at?

It's the contrast - white on purple or black on white. Perhaps my eyes are more sensitive than others'.

For me the defining thing about Aeclectic is not the color. Besides, if any other color takes away from Aeclectic's flair, plain shouldn't be allowed, either...

The choice would be the individual's; the default, "official" setting would still be purple. There's no need to change the color if you don't want to, but it would be nice to have a choice.

amethyst57
24-07-2011, 02:26
that's why i suggested lighter purples and blues...or various shades of purples

gregory
24-07-2011, 02:43
I don't think lighter purple would help - then there would not be enough contrast with the white.... I find the current skin VERY easy to see, and would hate to see it changed...

tigerlily
24-07-2011, 06:45
I didn't realize this question would upset people so much. I wasn't talking about changing Aeclectic's "official" look. Just that you can choose your own, individual look of the site, if the dark purple-white text combo is straining for your eyes. It wouldn't affect anybody else's site appearance, so I don't really understand the problem.

Sulis
24-07-2011, 06:58
I didn't realize this question would upset people so much. I wasn't talking about changing Aeclectic's "official" look. Just that you can choose your own, individual look of the site, if the dark purple-white text combo is straining for your eyes. It wouldn't affect anybody else's site appearance, so I don't really understand the problem.
I don't think anyone is upset, they're just giving their opinions.

Amanda_04
24-07-2011, 14:59
I would love to have a deep, rich, brownish-red color with a soft creamy yellow and maybe a burnt orange as a medium between those two to accent.

firefrost
25-07-2011, 04:15
I'm quite attached to 'The Purple Place' too!

Emily
25-07-2011, 06:23
I find the purple restful on my eyes and easy to read - but I'm quite biased, I love purple anyway. I've tried the other skin here and find it too boring and plain.

When I use other forums that have a real choice of skins to pick from, then I usually go for plain because some of the colour combinations can be quite jarring on the eyes.

Frayling0
26-07-2011, 09:16
I would really love a green, or blue skin. Purple is a very jarring colour to me, and I've never got on with violet vibrations. They just don't feel 'right' to me.

cronegoddess54
26-07-2011, 16:11
Tigerlily, I agree it would be nice to be able to have a choice of what we see...yes my eyes get very tired also..I see your point....

GryffinSong
26-07-2011, 16:17
I find that black text on a soft background is the easiest on my eyes. For instance black or very dark brown on a very soft warm green is easy on the eyes. The white text, regardless of background color, can definately be a strain when I'm tired or have a headache. I agree with all that the purple should be the default. But adding skins for those who need/want them, if it's technically not an issue, would be a very nice feature.

Debra
26-07-2011, 17:26
When I work on documents, I set the background to gray-ish lavender or pale blue-green. I can work much longer without strain.

gregory
26-07-2011, 19:55
I like it as the purple place too.... I am also in a green place and a blue place...

nisaba
26-07-2011, 21:11
For me, these colors are softer and gentler than some, maybe many, others. They have a history, welcomed me here with a certain aura and panache, and I am loyal to the phrase "The Purple Pages."
<smile>

However, I do find eyestrain after a while.
I don't, and my eyes are less than perfect in my old age.

It has to do with saturation and brightness, too. I can adjust brightness and contrast on my screen.

When I am "playing away from home" I sometimes value a screen that doesn't draw attention to itself, so I go "Private messages", "edit options", and down at the bottom, I change "forum skin" from "Aeclectic" to "plain". That gives me a screenful of dove-greys, discreet and perhaps gentler on the eyes.

I dunno - you take away from the character of this place even in the plain skin, never mind with wholly different corporate colours.

Hemera
26-07-2011, 22:19
When I am "playing away from home" I sometimes value a screen that doesn't draw attention to itself, so I go "Private messages", "edit options", and down at the bottom, I change "forum skin" from "Aeclectic" to "plain". That gives me a screenful of dove-greys, discreet and perhaps gentler on the eyes.thanks nisaba! I just tried this for the first time ever. After the initial shock I quickly returned back to my purple home, though. Ahh.. Anyway, I can see where the dove grey skin may come in handy and I may try it again at work.

gregory
26-07-2011, 22:40
I dunno - you take away from the character of this place even in the plain skin, never mind with wholly different corporate colours.

Right on, baby :* T he grey is enough of an alternative IMHO (and is great at work }) I used to... - um, well, I am retired now !

jackdaw*
26-07-2011, 23:27
I don't think the "feel" of the place is changed by changing the colours. "New look, same great taste!" Isn't that how they advertise it?

Personally I would be all for a less purple, purple place. Because I also find it jarring. I prefer darker text on lighter but not white backgrounds. Like a dark text on a lavender backdrop or something.

I've been using the Plain skin for over a year now. It's great except when certain posters go all colour-happy, which irked me even when I used the purple skin. But you can't please everyone, and I'm quite satisfied with our choices now.

GryffinSong
27-07-2011, 02:40

But no one's trying to take away the purple. I don't understand how it takes away from the character of the place for individuals to have a choice. The color I use in the privacy of my home should be irrelevant to anyone else. And some of us do find it eye-straining. Again, it shouldn't matter to anyone else what colors some of us find comfortable and not. I don't understand why it's an issue at all. Multiple skins allows people with migraines, sensitive eyes, or just different artistic tastes an option. If Aeclectic doesn't want to implement that feature, that's their business. But it's a valuable feature for many of us or we wouldn't ask. I've had a migraine now for almost a week. The white text is painful for me when I have a migraine, so I can't spend as much time on here as I'd like right now. A different skin would allow me that option, at least when I'm not feeling well.

gregory
27-07-2011, 02:43
Isn't the grey one OK for that ? I use it when I have a migraine building....

Pen
27-07-2011, 03:19
I've been using the grey one for about a year now as I found the purple very hard on my eyes. I really didn't like the grey at first as it felt somehow sad, but soon got used to it and wouldn't switch back now. It'd be good to have alternatives though...:)

Pen

GryffinSong
27-07-2011, 03:51
Isn't the grey one OK for that ? I use it when I have a migraine building....

The gray would work if it didn't have the white all around the gray boxes. White, for me, is too much with a migraine. I've just switched to the gray to see if it's a little better over time, but the white ... ouch. :(

I remember WAY back, before workstations and PCs when all we had was terminals. They had a black background and white or green text. I'll never forget the day when I got my first amber screen (amber text on dull black). Oh, what a relief!!! SO easy on the eyes, compared to those darn white letters!!!

Flaxen
27-07-2011, 04:01
I know what you mean about white with a migraine, Gryffinsong. When I have one, I really can't stand looking at a white screen or print for any length of time - everything starts to swim and pulse.

A lighter shade of purple like lavender would work nicely or a soft green.

amethyst57
27-07-2011, 04:02
keep the greys and purples, maybe have a 3rd option, a happy medium( so to speak)....

Sulis
27-07-2011, 04:07
It sounds like the main problem is the contrast between the background and the white writing on the purple skin so maybe Solandia could look at that.

tigerlily
29-07-2011, 06:55
But no one's trying to take away the purple. I don't understand how it takes away from the character of the place for individuals to have a choice. The color I use in the privacy of my home should be irrelevant to anyone else. And some of us do find it eye-straining. Again, it shouldn't matter to anyone else what colors some of us find comfortable and not. I don't understand why it's an issue at all. Multiple skins allows people with migraines, sensitive eyes, or just different artistic tastes an option. If Aeclectic doesn't want to implement that feature, that's their business. But it's a valuable feature for many of us or we wouldn't ask. I've had a migraine now for almost a week. The white text is painful for me when I have a migraine, so I can't spend as much time on here as I'd like right now. A different skin would allow me that option, at least when I'm not feeling well.

This. If purple works for you - great. Nobody suggested that Aeclectic as a whole should change its colors. All I was asking for was the option to choose another background for my individual use. If it's not technically, financially, or otherwise possible to add that feature, that's ok. But to argue for keeping the choice restricted just to either white or purple (which are both hard on some of us, for various reasons), just because you think that Aeclectic would lose its flair if not everybody is looking at a purple screen... well...