Minimising my tarot collection

a_shikhs

After being an avid collector of tarot and oracle decks and having owned more than 100 decks, I have started feeling somewhat "suffocated" with so many decks. I can't explain the feeling exactly. So I have decided to minimise my collection and sell or give away the decks that I no longer feel connected to, though I have kept my favourite 10-12 decks that I absolutely love and would never part with. :D Anyone going through the same tarot cleansing process? ;)

The crowned one

I do this about 1x every 2 years :)

Manda

Every time I have decided to be a minimalist I have regretted it. I would advise packing up the decks you think you don't want and letting them sit unmolested for some time while you figure out if you really don't want them or if it is just a phase. Decks can be expensive to replace, but cheap to store.

ncharge

I did that this Spring for exactly that same reason. I must have sold or given away 50 decks. I still have too many, but I can't bring myself to give up any more. I still feel like I have too many, but I'm in no hurry to downsize my collection now.

The crowned one

Of all the decks I have given away or sold I miss one, so yes do be careful. I have not replaced that one yet...

I decided I was a reader rather then a collector of tarot..but I do go back and forth a bit..

lilangel09

I only have 15-25 decks, but I already feel suffocated sometimes... because I don't read with them all and it drives me a little nuts that they're not being used, lol. I'm becoming more of a collector. "Will read with these; won't ever read with these."

moderndayruth

I give away decks i am not crazy about, have 'nuf clutter in my place as it is :rolleyes:
I must add that i collect books too and now basically 1/3d of my living space is occupied by books and decks, i think that's insane. :(
Yeah, and the room i turned into library, where are the books - its the most beautiful one, but i never actually sit there, and i have less and less time to read... The decks are in shrines - separated by publishers and/or the traditions, and sometimes i feel like those nutty hoarders from 'buried alive'... Dunno, not that many more decks i want, maybe 10 at maximum, i really don't need thousands of them. (Have enough problems with storing thousands of books already. :( )

Kreative-Dragon

Being a "hoarder" (as my father puts it) of books, I would also reccomend the process of putting them out of sight for a while, and seeing what happens. I will go through them a couple of months later and realize that some of the books I can't part with, and others I look at and go "What what I THINKING?"

moderndayruth

Being a "hoarder" (as my father puts it) of books, I would also reccomend the process of putting them out of sight for a while, and seeing what happens. I will go through them a couple of months later and realize that some of the books I can't part with, and others I look at and go "What what I THINKING?"

Done that :( Kept just the most valuable ones - the thing is that i received from my parents really valuable collections and sets - of encyclopedias, atlases, whole editions of these and that classics... ugf. I don't keep chick lit, neither self help books, cook books (apart from very fancy/expensive editions) - any of that, just really worthy stuff, but myself also i gave crazy amounts of money for collectibles and some rare sets and what not...
Mine is a nice collection, really, and its nicely arranged and all - its just that it would be more suitable for some castle with maids who'd undust it and all, and with some lazy nobleman who'd have time to read for hours... lol, i don't even live here best part of the year! :p
Actually - the crazy thing is that my cat grew to love that room - as its calm and dark, and noone's there - that's where she goes for daily retreats . ;)

For some reason, to me decks and books don't go together (don't ask me why, i don't know ether - but if i take the decks there to me it feels as if they'll start to scream :bugeyed: :D) so those babies are in three shrines in the living room (and oracles divided in other two)... its enough.

But even if i had all the room in the world, i don't want that many decks - i have collection of Swarowski figurines , Bohemian glass figurines, Herendy porcelain and Chinese vases (did i mention paintings?)... and it all is very nice, but requires hours of maintenance.
It takes me at least one whole day a week just to keep those undusted and tidy.

But, not to hijack the thread - for myself personally i don't see a point of having a 1000 or more of decks simply because those that i really like are not that many at all.
We had such discussions before - and basically the real collectors among us love all their decks - pretty or not, deep or not or whatsoever, someone said here that they feel their decks like children or something and that it would be unjust to favor some ...
But, as i said before - i am cruel - no mercy here! Just the loved ones stay, the others are given away!})

Miss Divine

After being an avid collector of tarot and oracle decks and having owned more than 100 decks, I have started feeling somewhat "suffocated" with so many decks. I can't explain the feeling exactly. So I have decided to minimise my collection and sell or give away the decks that I no longer feel connected to, though I have kept my favourite 10-12 decks that I absolutely love and would never part with. :D Anyone going through the same tarot cleansing process? ;)

Oh I know exactly how you feel. To most my collection is tiny. But I still feel I have too many. I have decks in my collection I just do not care for. Eventually they have just got to go! And before they're out of my house, no new ones are coming in.

This past week I have gotten rid of so much stuff (other than tarot). But I'm going through changes in my life. Whenever I go through certain changes, I do major clearing, in my mind and in my home.

I am not a person who saves things for just in case... It feels like clutter to me.