Don't Touch My Cards? LOL

HudsonGray

Witchvox just posted a neat (and very funny) article about touching 'energized' tarot cards on their site last month.

http://www.witchvox.com/va/dt_va.html?a=usil&c=words&id=14684

I think we've all seen people who have decks they don't want anyone to touch because they could shift the decks' energies.... this article really points out a few things with humor about how to take a look at that mindset. Logic and reality are both subjective and not.

Barleywine

Witchvox just posted a neat (and very funny) article about touching 'energized' tarot cards on their site last month.

http://www.witchvox.com/va/dt_va.html?a=usil&c=words&id=14684

That was nicely argued, and every point touches on something that has been debated (sometimes ad nauseum) on this forum. You CAN go far just by looking at the cards and reciting the meanings, without getting all mystical about it. Of course, being able to synthesize the meanings into something new beyond the individual card properties will get you even farther. None of this requires any particularly Herculean leaps of intuitive inspiration, nor is it in any way "magical." If you've done your homework and have a reasonably retentive memory and a facility with the language, you will get meaningful results. As Graham Chapman once said, portraying a Shakespearean actor in a Python sketch, "All the words are there already, you just have to get them in the right order" ;).

Alta

That is very well written. Nice humour to deliver the message.

BodhiSeed

I thought it was hysterically funny:D; sometimes we can take ourselves too seriously!

DaughterOfDanu

:D Too funny and makes a great point!

Asbestos Mango

LOL, that article was hilarious.

And funnily enough, I had a card-touching moment today.
I'm in an adult day treatment program to help me with my depression and anxiety. I had mentioned in one of the groups that I read Tarot cards, and doing readings helps ease my anxiety. So, of course, I've started getting questions, and requests for readings. One of the guys asked if he could look at my cards (I have a pocket RWS that lives in my purse, wrapped in a blue bandanna). So, I pull the cards out, and go to hand them to him, and he says, "Can you unfold that?" I said, "What, you can't unfold a bandanna?", unwrapped the deck and again tried to hand him the cards. He wouldn't take them. The Queen of Cups happened to be showing, and he asked what the card meant. I said, "It depends on the question and where it falls in the reading." He asked for a reading,, and I agreed to do one for him during lunch break.

So then I go into the kitchen, trying to re-wrap the cards while I'm walking, and one of the girls notices them and says, "Are those Tarot cards?" "Yes," sez I. "Can I see them?" "Sure" and she reaches out to take the cards from me, and the lady sitting next to her suddenly gasps, "You're not supposed to touch the cards unless she tells you to." So I plunked the cards down in front of the girl and said, "Touch the cards." She gave them a pat, then asked for a reading. I told her she would have to take a number, people were requesting readings, and I didn't have time right then, and she asked if she could just draw one card. Sure, why not do a quick one-carder.

I thought it was funny that the other lady was so protective of someone else's deck

Also, when I did the reading for the guy at lunchtime, I asked him if he was a good shuffler, and he said, "No", so I said, "OK, I'll shuffle the cards then."
"No," sez he, "I have to shuffle them". I let him have his way, but he was just picking huge chunks of cards and sandwiching them back into the deck in such a way that there was no way they were going to be thoroughly mixed. I just had to trust that the cards that would be needed for the reading would turn up. In retrospect, I should have been more firm and shuffled them myself and just had him cut the deck when I was done. But this guy who didn't even want to unwrap the deck from its bandanna earlier was really insistent that he had to be the one to shuffle, and, hey, I'm the reader, don't you think I know what I'm doing?

But really, I don't have a problem with people touching my cards. I mean, unless someone is radiating serious negative energy, I'm fine with it. I enjoy showing my decks off, and a person can't really have a proper look at the cards unless they, you know, touch them.
OK, sorry for the digression, I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

jackdaw*

What a hoot. That's a great article, very funny and makes some great points. I've "met" at least a couple of those types, whether in person or no, in the past. Thanks for sharing!

Grizabella

I don't mind if others touch my cards but I really, really don't want anyone to bridge them. And I'd prefer they shuffle them carefully, not like they're killing snakes or something. I can't replace my decks if something happens to them, especially if they happen to be out of print. Most people I read for let me shuffle them myself, though. They just seem to kind of go with the flow and so do I. If they reach for them, then they shuffle and if they don't then I do.

The article was very well written and I loved the humor.

Barleywine

I don't mind if others touch my cards but I really, really don't want anyone to bridge them. And I'd prefer they shuffle them carefully, not like they're killing snakes or something.

As someone said earlier, "I'd be mad not to let them shuffle the deck," since I've always felt it's a vital part of the face-to-face reading experience. (If I have irreplaceable decks, I only use them for myself.) But I do give explicit instructions as to what I expect (such as mixing the cards on the table-top; overhand shuffle only, no bridging; mechanics of the cut, etc.). If they're nervous about handling the cards, what are they doing there? They might not like the bark either if they're so afraid of the bite :).

Sar

This kind of crap is for those self important readers.