What if you don't have any intuition?

Bluebonnet

So, I've been on this forum a few months now...newbie. I bought the Rider deck...slept with it under my pillow (couldn't hurt). And, I am continually learning the meanings through the LWB, googling, and this forum. I'm most comfortable reading 3 card spreads...gives enough information without overwhelming me.

So, I'm never confident on my readings. I'm more confident when I can see a story out of the pictures in the cards, but that doesn't always happen. So many here, especially the great readers, say to go with you "intuition". That will always override what you're reading in the cards. What if you don't have any? I've been told to "feel" the cards....and those feelings aren't always correct. My "feelings" of cards come from a memory of seeing them in another reading whether they were a positive or a negative card.

So..the bottom line is...to be an accurate, good reader...do you have to have really good intuition?

B

Zechariah13

hmmm i think the best answer to the question is that intuition is something you can develop.

I mean, its not a discipline that you could practice over and over again, but if you connect with your deck (and not in that silly Yu-Gi-Oh way) you will eventually learn from experience what they are telling you.

I THINK it MIGHT be possible that you are simply not connecting with your deck. I mean, RWS is supposed to be the basic deck for beginners but i dont connect with it at all.

I dont know if i helped you, but i hope so.

Bluebonnet

I don't get that either.....a connection to your cards. This may be on the same lines of ....are tarot cards just paper and ink? I can see that when I ask a question, if I'm interpreting it correctly with lots of help from this forum, it actually answers it. And, it happens too often to be just "random". But, no, I don't feel like I'm connected to the cards like they have an identity. Years ago, a lady who had been studying tarot for over 40 years stated that she had decks that were "so precise on timing" and others not so much. So, that baffled me thinking each deck had its own personality? Anyways, I'm straying.

Barleywine

You will get strongly differing opinions from two very vocal camps within the denizens of this forum: those who only read intuitively and don't see much value in boning up on the vast body of published knowledge, and those who believe that everything you need to achieve meaningful readings is housed in that historical knowledge base, ready to be assimilated through study and contemplation. Those who read with no direct querent contact (for example, on-line) typically fall into the first group. For my part (and I only read face-to-face), I will resort to intuitive interpretation when nothing I'm saying from an extensive knowledge-based perspective is connecting with the querent's understanding of their situation. This expanded vocabulary will often unlock something in the querent's perception that gives them that fabled "Aha!" moment and allows the reading to move forward along a different path. If you aren't feeling especially intuitive, I would spend time with the literature and you will most likely find that a reserve of intuitive understanding will eventually open up to you based on your internalization and persistent use of the formal knowledge you gain.

Zechariah13

I don't get that either.....a connection to your cards. This may be on the same lines of ....are tarot cards just paper and ink? I can see that when I ask a question, if I'm interpreting it correctly with lots of help from this forum, it actually answers it. And, it happens too often to be just "random". But, no, I don't feel like I'm connected to the cards like they have an identity. Years ago, a lady who had been studying tarot for over 40 years stated that she had decks that were "so precise on timing" and others not so much. So, that baffled me thinking each deck had its own personality? Anyways, I'm straying.

Well, i personally think my deck has an attitude. I wrote that in another thread somewhere i think. I didnt think that at first, but then i found that there are some readings that she (yes, for some reason my deck is a she. Do NOT know why.) does NOT like doing, and if i press her on it, she will stop cooperating with me entirely.

But for me, connecting with my deck is simpler than it sounds. WHen i saw my deck, i wanted to buy it immediately. I was impacted by the cards themselves, I saw their images and wanted to know their stories, and some of my cards have names, not all mind you.

But still, even with a 'connection to the cards' i still use my book often ;) no shame in that at all

Manda

You can just read cards. That is all I claim to do. Most of the time, cards spark my intuition, but even when they don't I give good readings. Heck, even readings I felt were very intuitive were not so accurate sometimes. It was me that was off or on, never the cards.

If you want to read cards and can't or don't want to do it intuitively, there are plenty of resources you can draw from. Study, study, study. I suspect that over time you will grow more intuitive, and even when that happens the knowledge you gain from study will likely serve you well.

Tarot meets you where you are, so if you read intuitively only, your cards give you the cards with the pictures on them you need to see the answer. If you read based only on meanings, they will give you those cards instead. If you mish mash it up, like I do, you'll still get the right cards.

caridwen

So..the bottom line is...to be an accurate, good reader...do you have to have really good intuition?

In short, no. Intuition takes your reading to a new level but it isn't necessary to give good readings. Knowing your cards really well is key to giving good readings. Get yourself a notebook and a pen. Write down every single reading you do with your thoughts on the cards. A good reading is a mixture of experience and learning. Learning not necessarily from books but from your own cards.

Everyone has intuition it's just that some people access it easier than others.:)

MissJo

You will get strongly differing opinions from two very vocal camps within the denizens of this forum: those who only read intuitively and don't see much value in boning up on the vast body of published knowledge, and those who believe that everything you need to achieve meaningful readings is housed in that historical knowledge base, ready to be assimilated through study and contemplation.

Those are the extremes, I'm sure there are ones that are in between. I know I am... the middle path is what works best for me.

/lolrhyme.

MissJo

B

It wouldn't hurt to hone your intuition, that is a very important part of Tarot... but certainly not the only part. You need to find a deck you connect with, that will teach you how to hear it's voice. It's hard to explain, but once you find a deck you love to bits you will understand. You need to the ability to find your mistakes and correct them, pay attention to your readings and what goes on around you, and even learn the meanings a bit. But don't rely on the meanings... use your imagination. I'm serious, don't be afraid to go out there, pay attention to the certain feelings you get from the cards.

Think of how the Ten of Cups makes you feel versus the The Tower. Then think about why you feel that way about the cards. Hell, take the suits and make your own story if you want! It may help.

But those are just suggestions, you need to find what works for you. Don't be afraid to try new decks, new spreads, new techniques and styles... how else will you find your way?