PDA

View Full Version : Do grey cats have a special meaning?

wavebreaker
29-07-2003, 09:14
The past few days, I've had a grey cat sit near my kitchen door on several occasions. Now there are loads of cats in this neighbourhood, and they all come through my garden every now and then, but they all go away whenever I come into the kitchen or at least they retreat to a far corner of the garden. The grey one just sits there. If it hears me, it just turns around and watches me. It won't move until I come out into the garden, then it will quietly walk away.

And it's not as if it's waiting to be let inside, it just sits there... It was there just now, when I went downstairs to lock up, sitting in the dark; I only spotted it because of the tiny white spot it has on its throat.

So I was wondering whether grey cats have a special meaning?
Or maybe it has simply taken over my garden and is protecting it against all the other neighbourhood cats... ;)

Diana
30-07-2003, 06:00
Do you think it's maybe Mrs. McGonnagal?

Watch out if any babies get put on your doorstep over night.

(Actually, on a more serious note, I think the cat has some mission in your garden. Maybe protecting it from something...... and perhaps not just other cats. Is there a place in your garden where you feel uneasy? Maybe some odd "creature" has decided to install itself there.)

zorya
30-07-2003, 06:18
grey cats were considered by some, to be witches' familiars, because the color was like that of the moon.

because grey can symbolize drabness, it could be a sign that to overcome boredom or drabness, you need to look to yourself. (cats are independent creatures).

another possiblitly is that it is a sign to look at all sides of an issue, things are not as 'black and white' as they may seem.

HudsonGray
30-07-2003, 07:10
On a practical note, it could be a pet of someone in your area & knows this is close to home territory. If it doesn't run, it's not a 100% feral stray. Could be he/she lives within 2 or 3 houses around you. I'd put out a bowl of fresh water, just on general principle that strays have a hard time finding a reliable water source of fresh, clean water, and let the cats do their cat thing. You'd be surprised how many strays, ferals, and pets are actually in the area. Once I put out a bowl of dry food daily & a water bowl we counted 14 different cats. Only 2 I could peg as someone's pet, the rest were stray or feral for the most part.

wavebreaker
30-07-2003, 07:16
Originally posted by Diana
Watch out if any babies get put on your doorstep over night.Uh oh... ;)

(Actually, on a more serious note, I think the cat has some mission in your garden. Maybe protecting it from something...... and perhaps not just other cats. Is there a place in your garden where you feel uneasy? Maybe some odd "creature" has decided to install itself there.) No, there's no place where I feel uneasy. The cat is usually sitting at about the same spot, about 2 or 3 metres from the kitchen door, mostly with its back to the door.
Just this evening I came downstairs, and it was sitting there again. When I moved the handle of the door, it didn't even react, while normally cats react to every little sound. It did seem to be focusing on something... It didn't look around until I actually came outside, and then it walked off.

wavebreaker
30-07-2003, 07:16
Originally posted by zorya
because grey can symbolize drabness, it could be a sign that to overcome boredom or drabness, you need to look to yourself. (cats are independent creatures). That does make some sense...

wavebreaker
30-07-2003, 07:18
Originally posted by HudsonGray
On a practical note, it could be a pet of someone in your area & knows this is close to home territory. If it doesn't run, it's not a 100% feral stray. Could be he/she lives within 2 or 3 houses around you. I'd put out a bowl of fresh water, just on general principle that strays have a hard time finding a reliable water source of fresh, clean water, and let the cats do their cat thing. You'd be surprised how many strays, ferals, and pets are actually in the area. Once I put out a bowl of dry food daily & a water bowl we counted 14 different cats. Only 2 I could peg as someone's pet, the rest were stray or feral for the most part. I'm quite sure it's someone's pet, there are no stray cats around here. It also looks very well kept, so I don't think it's in need of water or food. And I'd rather not lure it here; I like cats, but I'm terribly allergic to them! ;)

Macavity
30-07-2003, 07:35
Doubtless irrelevant, but I keep thinking there is a saying: "At night all cats are grey". (Referring to the loss of colour vision at night?) I haven't been able to attribute that one, but it seems it also occurs in other languages? There aren't that many grey cats - I suppose, technically, it might be a "Russian Blue"? :D

Macavity

wavebreaker
30-07-2003, 07:46
Originally posted by Macavity
Doubtless irrelevant, but I keep thinking there is a saying: "At night all cats are grey". (Referring to the loss of colour vision at night?) I haven't been able to attribute that one, but it seems it also occurs in other languages? There aren't that many grey cats - I suppose, technically, it might be a "Russian Blue"? :DWhat's a Russian Blue? ;)
Anyway, I've seen it during the day as well, and it's definitely grey... ;)

Wait... it's not you is it?? :eek:

Macavity
30-07-2003, 09:55
Russian Blues are grey short-haired pedigree cats - so that lets me out ;) English is a funny language... grey cats are "blue" and white horses are "grey". I did learn one thing is pursuing this - Divination by "chance meeting with animals" is called APANTOMANCY. There aren't too many references to that on the net though...

Macavity.

baba-prague
30-07-2003, 21:56
I have had two grey cats in my life. One I had for many years and the other for a short time only before he decided (when we moved) to go back to the old house and live partly feral and partly with the neighbours (we retrieved him about 30 times before we gave up and accepted that he had made his choice and seemed well and happy - we did keep an eye on him for several years).

One of these cats was a pedigree - "British Blue" (like a Russian blue but stockier and has a thicker less sleek coat) the other was an ordinary "moggie". In England quite a few moggies are grey.

I suppose I joined in this thread because I just love grey cats. I never thought about what they might mean - however, I would say that a friend who had a grey cat for many, many years says that they tend to be individualistic and independent. I kind of think this may be partly true.

ps - someone here is selling Russian Blue kittens and I am SO tempted - only problem being that our cat does not like other cats!

wavebreaker
30-07-2003, 22:09
Originally posted by baba-prague
I never thought about what they might mean - however, I would say that a friend who had a grey cat for many, many years says that they tend to be individualistic and independent. I kind of think this may be partly true.Hm, "individualistic and independent", that most definitely describes me... Maybe this grey cat is looking for a kindred soul? ;)

Diana
30-07-2003, 23:18
Originally posted by baba-prague
I would say that a friend who had a grey cat for many, many years says that they tend to be individualistic and independent.

You mean there are cats that are not individualistc and independent? Never met one....

sagitarian
31-07-2003, 07:51
Originally posted by Diana
You mean there are cats that are not individualistc and independent? Never met one....

Yup, used to have one, her name was mimi. Beautifully, well fed siamese cat. Female. She was a lap cat, and was very upset anytime I left, and when I came home, she followed me everwhere until I sat down and she immidiately jumped in my lap to be petted. She had more "dog characteristics" in that sense. She would stay in my lap (or as close as I would allow her) as long as I was home, and hated when I left the house. The extreme of a lap cat.

Ruby Red Slippers
31-07-2003, 09:40
Tarotlady -

You say you are allergic to cats, but did you know anyone who loved a grey cat? Perhaps a "spirit" has come to say "Hi, I'm thinking of you".

[Hope you don't ever have to give it a pill.....LOL Loved Diana's post on that one. I don't have a cat, but appreciated the humor - laughed til it hurt!] :)

Ruby Red Slippers

wavebreaker
31-07-2003, 16:28
Originally posted by Ruby Red Slippers
You say you are allergic to cats, but did you know anyone who loved a grey cat? Perhaps a "spirit" has come to say "Hi, I'm thinking of you".That thought crossed my mind, but I can't think of anyone... I know that my grandfather is often with me, but he never had any cats.

wavebreaker
12-08-2003, 20:03
Here he is my little sentinel...
(I'm not sure whether it's a he or a she, but since he's often fighting with a tomcat in the neighbourhood, I just assume this one is a "he" as well.)

floracove
16-08-2003, 10:20
tarot lady, i did a search for you, maybe you might find something in it...

http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/search?query=gray+cat+magical+properties

celeste
16-08-2003, 15:44
the grey cat just decided to adopt you.