When cards reveal an issue not asked by the person

poopsie

I have a question About a Situation of this kind. Has anyone of you ever encountered a situation when you were doing a reading for someone and they have a question or issue, the cards came out odd? They didn't seem to answer the person's question? I recently encountered this type of situation. the person asked a question about her past life but the cards seemed to reveal more what was really bothering her inside in the present moment. How does one deal with this? I would welcome any insights.

The crowned one

I tell them as I see it and wait for their reaction. If they do not wish to continue with the reading on this path, I apologize that I can not help with their question at this time, and I stop the reading. If they wish to hear and see down the path I am reading, I continue.

ghost271

I love it when this happens. It goes to show that the tarot is helping them deal with the most important issue at hand in their life. I tell them that this is what needs to be heard now and perhaps they can come back another time for another reading, but now this is what the tarot wants you to deal with.

Ive had people break done in tears, not expecting a certain thing to come up and it has. Because of the pain they were not wanting to face the issue but rather try and bury it and forget it.

firecatpickles

I prefer not to offer information outside of the question asked.

If it is a general question like you are asking about, I would probably go ahead and give them a reading anyway. Who's to say that the issues in the present life aren't the same as the unaddressed issues of the past life?

ghost271

So then what would tell them if they wanted to know about finding a new job, but all the cards that werw coming up were speaking of an abusive relationship ?

Do you try and redraw the spread or tell them the cards arent showing anything in that regard at the moment ?

firecatpickles

If they asked about a new job then the cards would be about the new job.

It would be rather presumptuous of me as a reader to tell a sitter they are in an abusive relationship when a) I don't have any reason to think or know such information or b ) they didn't come to me specifically seeking realtionship or marital advice. I could do some serious damage there.

ghost271

Hmm. Interesting. I have had several instances when the cards have addressed a different issue than what was asked. And it wouldnt be presumptuous to ask how their relationship is going. They naturally would ask why and then you'd respond with something like ( as an example)," im reading this as a real power imbalance in the relationship. Like one person has more say or control. A very assertive type energy. " If they dont want to deal with it, deny it, or you're just plain wrong, then you state that you just wanted to check and perhaps you're off base with what you saw.

I read for a woman once whos cards clearly showed that her boyfriend was cheating on her. I simply asked how the relationship was going and she said everything was great. It wasnt my place to take it any further than that. 3 months later i find out that he had in fact been cheating on her for a few months prior to the reading. One needs to use discretion at all times and there is a fine balance that one needs to keep between saying too much and too little. If i stated that the boyfriend was cheating and in actuallity he wasn't, i would be in a lot of trouble and potentially ended a solid faithful partnership.

firecatpickles

That's a good way to approach it. I thought you were talking about coming out like gangbusters and just saying how you saw the cards.

As a reader I have to be careful not to go overboard. There are times when I have felt like telling it like it is, but only a few times. Once was with a playing cards reading and I *saw* a pedestrian versus automobile accident and felt like I had to tell the person.

Dangerous situations like this is really my own exception. Years ago I was doing a real estate reading (with tarot) and some cards came up suggesting an extra-marital affair. I didn't feel it necessary, and I couldn't be absolutely sure, that this information be given to the sitter so I didn't.

poopsie

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the extremely late response. it took awhile for me to get my wifi going ... Your responses were quite helpful. yes, ghost271, I redraw the cards sometimes and what I observe is there are certain cards that keep showing up so sometimes, we just concentrate on that. I also sometimes do what some of you suggested --apologize if the occasion doesn't seem right, or even tell them that I can't quite figure it out. But in some instances, I also encounter people who will in the middle of a reading suddenly confess that something else actually bothers them. This is where it gets interesting.

thanks again, folks! At least I feel relieved.

SunChariot

I have a question About a Situation of this kind. Has anyone of you ever encountered a situation when you were doing a reading for someone and they have a question or issue, the cards came out odd? They didn't seem to answer the person's question? I recently encountered this type of situation. the person asked a question about her past life but the cards seemed to reveal more what was really bothering her inside in the present moment. How does one deal with this? I would welcome any insights.

It happens. You deal with it by telling the querent exactly what the cards are telling you. We are just the messengers entrusted with passing on the message. It is not up to us what the message is. We are only the deliverers of it.

What came up is what the universe wants her/him to know. You can start by telling the querent that directly, that that is how Tarot works and there is an intelligence behind it. That usually and the vast majority of times the cards will just answer the question they asked. But sometimes, when the need is very great and the universe truly NEEDS them to see something about their current situation that they really need to see badly and work on,...At those times the universe will just decide that it NEEDS to give them that info and override the original question and just give it to them.

And this was one of those times for them. You can tell them that it is your job to deliver this important message. And that after you have done so, you can ask the original question again and find the answer to it for them, if they like.

Babs