Reading others' spreads???

pacificwaters

Well.. I am new to this forum, as you can see from the number of my posts, and I am liking it here. But just have a doubt so wanted your opinions..

My teacher who taught me Tarot said that usually one should not read the readings of others. I mean one should not read spreads of others. Also the cards are personalized for each reader...(meaning as I read on this forum, each spread is a friend of the reader, the more you read, the better the spread's friendship develops with you) due to which you can read better. However as i see on this forum people post their spreads for others to interpret too (even I did) and somehow this gives a wider meaning for the cards than we know. So how does the fact that one should not read others spreads fit in here???

Carla

Maybe your teacher meant that one should not share the readings you do for clients. That would be unethical and a breach of confidentiality. But we share spreads here because we've agreed to beforehand, and it's all in the open.

MissJo

Hm...
Well, this is what I think. Tarot readings are totally personal, the cards are trying to talk to you, not anyone else. You'll be able to hear the cards better than anyone else. But that doesn't mean that we always hear them clearly. When your asking other people for help, I see it as trying to get something that clicks. Sometimes people try to interpret my cards and I know its wrong. Sometimes people try to interpret the cards and they pointed out something that was did on. More often than not, people mention things that help me get to the correct conclusion. It's hit and miss... take what works for you, forget what doesn't.

Minotauro

well its kind of how some peole think the asker shoulkd shuffle and others think nobody should touch your cards.

I say whatever works for you , do it
like budha said;

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.

so you should explore it , if you feel it is wrong , then it is, FOR YOU.

I mean who knows? she may be wrong , nobody's perfect.

pacificwaters

@Carla... as much as I remember it was about not reading spreads of others... however what you say breach of ethics and confidentiality...well that applies to all forms of astrology..not just tarot..

@MissJo though what i just asked here about views for my teachers point of view, somehow i agree with what you have said..getting views from others on this forum or even by discussing with other readers opens you up to a new channel of thinking, a direction that maybe you would not have even thought in...

@Minotauro The Buddha saying is well said..and not just tarot I feel it applies to all walks of life !! (A similar saying that even I have come across - Don't be the football of others opinion)

Minotauro

@Minotauro The Buddha saying is well said..and not just tarot I feel it applies to all walks of life !! (A similar saying that even I have come across - Don't be the football of others opinion)

I know , I always try and live up to it for I find it agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all lol
=P it is one of those thing I always try to keep in mind.

nisaba

My teacher who taught me Tarot said that ... one should not read spreads of others.
Ah. So, let me get this right. Your teacher, right from your very first lesson, makes you invent your own Tarot spreads, when often that is baffling to quite experienced readers?

And you can't study your deck by doing one-card pulls, because that is a simple, time-honoured spread that someone else invented some time last century.

I find that a little difficult to grasp.

I invent my own spreads, yes, but it took me a few years to have the necessary skill to do so. What was I supposed to do before that? (I've been reading since some time in the late 1970s).

SunChariot

Well.. I am new to this forum, as you can see from the number of my posts, and I am liking it here. But just have a doubt so wanted your opinions..

My teacher who taught me Tarot said that usually one should not read the readings of others. I mean one should not read spreads of others. Also the cards are personalized for each reader...(meaning as I read on this forum, each spread is a friend of the reader, the more you read, the better the spread's friendship develops with you) due to which you can read better. However as i see on this forum people post their spreads for others to interpret too (even I did) and somehow this gives a wider meaning for the cards than we know. So how does the fact that one should not read others spreads fit in here???

Actually, I personally very much believe in all that you said. I also see many people post readings they have done here for review and feedback by others and I don't get it. That is very much my belief too. That the readings we do are "pesonalized" to us. The come to us in a language only we can know and understand. And yes, the longer you are a reader the more developed the language becomes. You develop shorthands and abbreviations and the language personalizes itself more and more.

Just looking around her when someone post a thread just asking what one card means in general in one of their readings, there are almost as many answers as there are respondants to the thread. It's like if I speak French and you speak English, and the ideas you were meant to see and understand were sent to you by the powers that be IN English. There may be some common words between the two (the cards) but they will not mean the same thing to me as they do to you. There is no possible way that I can know what your cards were saying to you because I don't speak the language that your cards were speaking to you.

I think it can be useful to discuss with others what cards mean to us in general, not within the format of a reading. That can help us improve our personal meanings and enhance them,

But once a reading has been done, to ask others what the cards mean within the context of the reading seems useless to me according to my beliefs on it. I see many of these posts and the person who started the post often says "No it couldn't mean that in the situation". Well of course not, the person does not speak the language that the readings was sent it. Or they say "Hmmmm, it could mean that, I never thoght of that" If the original reader never thought of it, then it was not part of the intended meaning. They would have gotten the cards that would have mande them think of exactly what they were meant to., If they did not think of it it was not part of the intended meaning.

Those are my beliefs on that. That talking about what cards mean to each of us outside of a reading can be very helpful. And that talking about what they mean in a reading that has already been done,....there is no conceivable way that anyone but the original reader could ever know. Meanings cannot be added on to a reading retroactively.
As a reading is being done, a card means exactly what it feels it means to the reader at the time. You can't take someone else's meanings later on and add them in and think it means that. it doesn't. The other person does not speak the language the reading was sent to the reader in.

As for spreads, I never reallu use them and prefer reading without spreads. But if you mean just sharing threads that we have developed with others, I don't see anything wrong wtih that, personally.

Hope that did not sound harsh to any who do this. I was just stating my personal beleifs on the topic as asked. If you look, in all the time here I have never posted a reading for others; opinions on what it means. I never saw a purpose to doing so. Just my personal beliefs.

Babs

Alta

Ah. So, let me get this right. Your teacher, right from your very first lesson, makes you invent your own Tarot spreads, when often that is baffling to quite experienced readers?

And you can't study your deck by doing one-card pulls, because that is a simple, time-honoured spread that someone else invented some time last century.

I find that a little difficult to grasp.

I invent my own spreads, yes, but it took me a few years to have the necessary skill to do so. What was I supposed to do before that? (I've been reading since some time in the late 1970s).
This may be a terminology issue. I think pacificwaters waters meant what are generally called 'readings' here, whereas we tend to see 'spreads' as the positional meanings. So, he was saying that his teacher said to not look at readings done for others. Which makes me wonder how the teacher helped with pacificwaters readings. :)

My answer would be similar to MissJo's. We post here because we are a large group of people learning together. Learning by yourself is heavy and ponderous to the soul, learning with others lightens the heart and the learning becomes quick and fun.

Alta

Amanda

It's likely your teacher wanted to facilitate the learning of your own meanings first. I see people confused all the time over in the YR forum because they are new and getting all kinds of different meanings on their cards from different people. But a PRO of having that set up, is to allow you to think outside the box (2 heads are better than 1 scenario), and INTUIT what seems best to YOU from those various opinions. All for one and one for all, it's confidence-building and all that jazz.