Tarot crisis

redflash

Tarot Crisis

I’ve been reading tarot on and off for about 20 years or so, mainly for myself. The past couple of years have been pretty lousy and apart from doing a few quick spreads for myself I’ve hardly had the time or the energy for tarot.

Now my situation has changed, life is a lot calmer ( me too ), and so I decided to get into some serious tarot re-education.

And there lies my problem. I’ve lost my ‘connection’ to tarot, spirituality etc. I feel pretty lost on that side of things. The old faithful decks aren’t working for me anymore. I’ve splashed out and bought a few new ones and still haven’t “clicked” with any of them. I don’t think it’s the cards, it’s me.

So I’ve decided to start a Tarot Journal again. But I can’t decide how to do it. Should I pick one deck to do an intensive deck study or just whatever feels right that day. Should I work through the deck in order or not.

Should I buy a Rider-Waite to study*? Or use one of my recent buys*? - the Wildwood, Legacy Of The Divine, Zerner-Farber. Or dig out one of my old decks - DruidCraft, Waking The Wild Spirit or one of the many others I own.

Blah. I hate being indecisive.

AJ

I'm not sure we are able to 'force' a renewal of sprituality...

As far as using the cards, it is no crime to have lost interest.
If it is apathy, is it reflected in other areas of your life? Job/relationship/hobbies/friends? If so that is what you need to address rather than thinking the cards might make a good band-aid.

And I don't think any of us can recommend a path for someone else. I blog my daily draw on my blog and have been doing daily for nearly 1600 days. I love it. Might drive someone else to drink :)

Before committing to a long term resolution why not offer a lot of readings here in the exchanges and see if you can get your mojo back?

Good luck!

NikkiB

How about working through mary greers book, 21 ways to read a tarot card or her other book tarot for yourself, both are excellent books and a real journey...

perhaps a daily meditation, grounding exercises will help you to realign yourself, how about a reading to discover how to go forward...

these are all things ive found useful at different times x

redflash

The last 2 years or so have been depressing to say the least ! I was at a really low ebb and just retreated from the world I suppose. My life is on the up at last and I'm starting to feel more spiritual, little by little, not as fragile as I was. And I really miss my cards ! That sounds totally weird. I can't really describe it. Just shuffling them and looking at the pictures gives me a warm glow inside. Omg I sound like a nutjob lol. I think I just need to make a start on my studies so I can get over this 'what if I mess up' mentality.

SloughSister

Sorry to hear you feel you've lost your connection. Sometimes re-learning is harder for me than learning because I spend too much time wishing I hadn't disconnected, being annoyed that I have to re-learn, and trashing myself for what seems like a too-slow pace. I'd encourage you to go easy on yourself.

My learning process seems to have a wandering path of its own. Most days I can carve out some time for it. Some days I can't. Only a few days do I have enough time to devote several satisfying hours. I allow the draw and enticement of tarot (and oracles) to spur me rather than trying to make some calendar for myself.

And the deck? I go for whatever beckons my soul at that moment. I can have phases of staying with one deck but I more seem to like variety. I know there are advantages to intensive deck study but it just doesn't fit in with my schedule right now. Plus, I've always been a mmm-buffet kind of a person. I also feel rich with quite a number of decks to choose from. I don't feel like I have too many; I figure I'll either get to know each one fully or I won't.

My favorite part of learning has been when I remember to do my blend of prayer-meditation for ten minutes or so beforehand, then settle down with a deck. That seems to open up my ability to have greater clarity and understanding. Speaking of which, I have been shocked at how much easier it is to read for others than for myself. I'm almost getting the courage up to offer some exchanges here ... real questions from real people are pretty satisfying. I can tell you that, so far, reading for myself is for the birds.

SloughSister

T My life is on the up at last and I'm starting to feel more spiritual, little by little, not as fragile as I was. And I really miss my cards ! That sounds totally weird. I can't really describe it. Just shuffling them and looking at the pictures gives me a warm glow inside. Omg I sound like a nutjob lol. I think I just need to make a start on my studies so I can get over this 'what if I mess up' mentality.

Personally, I think that love affair with the cards and shuffling them, looking at them, handling them, appreciating them - I think that is both learning and a spiritual connection in and of itself. No nutjob to me - I think that is *part* of the "studies." It's like when I go home and get to see old friends every not-many years - I like to soak up listening to their voices and looking at their faces and how they move when we walk together. It is part of *knowing" them just as soaking up the cards is part of knowing, or getting to know, them.

redflash

There is one that I'm recently drawn to. It's CiroMs legacy of the divine tarot. I've always loved his artwork but haven't been drawn to buy the decks. But the legacy seems to be calling. I usually go for pagan type decks, like the druidcraft years ago, or Poppy Palins deck, etc. I recently picked up the Wildwood but have packed it away. I think the time isn't quite right for it, if that makes any sense ?

Zechariah13

well, i hope this doesnt come as sounding too blunt, but isnt it possible that you've lost your connection to the cards because the cards are not where you need to be right now? I know when i am not receiving anything from writing or art or any of the other Crafts i do, that it is because i am not in the time or place for them.

Jes

There is one that I'm recently drawn to. It's CiroMs legacy of the divine tarot. I've always loved his artwork but haven't been drawn to buy the decks. But the legacy seems to be calling. I usually go for pagan type decks, like the druidcraft years ago, or Poppy Palins deck, etc. I recently picked up the Wildwood but have packed it away. I think the time isn't quite right for it, if that makes any sense ?

I was also drawn to this deck. Work with it and see how you go. To me, its my soul mate deck :)

vonniedeak

Have you tried cleansing your cards? Sometimes negativity comes from the cards itself as I have noticed. I have to cleanse my cards and maybe try to reconnect with the meanings by doing readings for myself to see if I can possibly tap into that spirituality again before I do readings for others. I have a deeper spiritual connect at first when I am by myself. It is possible that buying another deck will spark interest, though. I have heard that you even throw decks away that have lost their "umph".

Love and light,

Von