Is it really possible to predict the future with tarot?

Reverie

I know it's a funny question coming from someone who has been reading for 5+ years, but I've realized that very often the cards will just capture present energies surrounding me, and this affects the outcome.

I feel like for some reason it's not possible for the cards to know what decision people around us will take, that affect us, until they've been taken.

Or, a couple of months ago I was very worried about a health test, and I relentlessly asked about it - I kept drawing, very often the 3 of swords. When it came time to take it... it turned out fine.

So, are the cards really just capturing our outlook and mental state?

HOLMES

yeah sometimes it can

i know of a time i said to my friend mother when she asked for a reading i see a little girl here,, like her daughter who is my friend is going to have a baby..
it is now two years later and the friend daughter has been born and is almost a a year now.
it was the soul message and a page card i forget the deck but the picture was a little girl.
other times i had people come up to me and say you were right, and it is so eerily.

that doesnt' mean everything i say is going to come true,, and like you i think it focuses mostly on the present.
but if you close your mind to the possiblity that it cant' predict the future you may block your insights when they come. !

Reverie

i know of a time i said to my friend mother when she asked for a reading i see a little girl here,, like her daughter who is my friend is going to have a baby..
it is now two years later and the friend daughter has been born and is almost a a year now.
it was the soul message and a page card i forget the deck but the picture was a little girl.
other times i had people come up to me and say you were right, and it is so eerily.

that doesnt' mean everything i say is going to come true,, and like you i think it focuses mostly on the present.
but if you close your mind to the possiblity that it cant' predict the future you may block your insights when they come. !

Thanks for sharing.
I think I'm mostly thinking back to readings I did for myself, that predicted a horrible outcome, and then... Something changed and that changed the outcome.

I think perhaps tarot captures the shades of gray as opposed to a black or white future... I don't know... Just feeling skeptical I guess...! But other times I think they have predicted things.

HOLMES

that could be your problem

the problem for me is i find it extremely hard to read for myself,,
mostly because i know the meanings of the card so i can secretly change them in my mind to what my ego wants..
so i prefer to read for others..
now i know others may point out that it is my own mental block yet i am not the only one and this is one of the teachings going around in the spirtual reading circles.

i would go by what you read for others and contrast and compare them to see if reading for others is far above reading for yourself.

Mellifluous

Yes, they can. I've had too many things I never expected to happen, or believed could happen, happen - on the day the cards said it would happen.

If only it could be 100% accurate. I think that's really the thing... sometimes it'll be bang on, then other times you're just like, 'Uh, Tarot... what?'

Asbestos Mango

I think that the cards can predict what is most likely to happen if you keep on doing what you're doing.

I also think that a lot of times, they can reflect your state of mind or your fears- you were worried about how the test would come out, and that worry was what showed up in your reading, not what actually happened.

poivre

I feel that the prediction is true at the "time of the reading".
As the days go on and events happen...things change and so
does our mind set.

I think that some people who truely do have a gift to read may
predict and be accurate.

just an opinion :)

EyeAmEye

As I believe life is a mixture of free will & predetermined (fate) events, yes, I do believe without question tarot can predict the future. Add to that mix that people tend to make similar decisions in similar situations repeatedly throughout their lives, even the "free will" events in one's life can be predicted quite accurately. You don't even need tarot in many of those cases, either.

Grizabella

I know they can, they just don't usually give a carved-in-stone time frame. Some say you can program a deck (nisaba for one) and that they have good luck using just that deck for predicting more specific times, but I don't use that method so far. I do know, though, that many times the things I've seen in the cards have come true, even quite some ways in the future, even when the person didn't believe it was possible.

Like Holmes says, though, you won't hit it every time, but at times you will and you never know how far ahead the very thing will come about.

celticnoodle

yes, it is definitely possible to predict the future with tarot. Its happened for me, personally, many times by different readers and I've also have been able to see the future for my clients.

A few weeks back, I even had a client come back into the store to give me the news that I was 100% right that she got a job that she was not even expecting. she was so tickled and even though she is moving to Hawaii for that job (I am in Vermont) she told me she would most definitely be in touch for a second reading via internet or phone. (HURRAY!) :D