original rider waite vs centenial edition?

Minotauro

Im buying a bunch of tarot stuff through amazon I live in mexico and the shiping is expensive so I wont be able to buy more stuff for a while , wich one would you prefer of those 2 and why?

Im torn between them

the centenial edition scans look darker , and I like that , but the backs I dont like at all

and the original although it has muted tones instead of darker has more of a brownish hue wich makes it look older

does somebody has both?

Emily

I have both. The Original Rider Waite, the one with the blue lilies on the back has very limited colours and very dark outlining that does detract from some of the details on the cards. The card stock is good but I don't like the heavy outlinings.

Now the Centennial is a different kettle of fish. Very, very pretty - the card stock is lightly laminated and good. The colours are muted but has a nice range, the black outlining is still there but hides none of the detail, infact it adds to the deck, almost giving the cards more depth. The cards have been artificially aged but they look good. The set is more expensive because of all the extras you get, you can't buy the cards on their own, But I think the deck and set are worth it. The Centennial is my RWS of choice now. :)

Abrac

I'm not satisfied with either one really. I swear US Games could screw up a ..... well, I won't go there. If I had to pick though, I think I'd get the Centennial since it at least has a book.

Minotauro

hmmm... and those 2 are the only ones with an " old look " to them righT?
:C I dont like this super colorfull editions everybody lobves the universal and the radiant are too pretty DX

peaceandkarma

You should shop around on the internet to see if you can get cheaper postage.

Emily

hmmm... and those 2 are the only ones with an " old look " to them righT?
:C I dont like this super colorfull editions everybody lobves the universal and the radiant are too pretty DX

The Centennial looks more aged than the Original. The cardstock has a brown tinge to it, but it looks nice.

It's the colouring of the Original that makes it look old, like the Star, it looks like she has the measles, some of the colouring is dotty lol Just checked, nothing like that on the Centennial edition - much more pleasing to the eye. :)

Le Fanu

I'm not satisfied with either one really. I swear US Games could screw up a ..... well, I won't go there.
LOL. So true. It brings me many hours of mirth that supposed lovers of tarot decks still cannot - over 100 years on - bring out a copy of the deck as it was and as tarot users want it.

We have had every conceivable combination imaginable. Except the one we want.

But anyway, FYI Minotauro (love your name), I have various editions but shall limit myself to the two you mention;

I still cannot get used to the backs on the Centennial edition. I thought I would but - no - they don't work.

For all its flaws and blotchiness, the Original is the one I go back to.

Debra

Actually the Original is quite close to the Pam B. It's my favorite although for reading I use the one I got when I was a mere youth.

Minotauro

LOL. So true. It brings me many hours of mirth that supposed lovers of tarot decks still cannot - over 100 years on - bring out a copy of the deck as it was and as tarot users want it.

We have had every conceivable combination imaginable. Except the one we want.

But anyway, FYI Minotauro (love your name), I have various editions but shall limit myself to the two you mention;

I still cannot get used to the backs on the Centennial edition. I thought I would but - no - they don't work.

For all its flaws and blotchiness, the Original is the one I go back to.
thanks! <3 Im a taurus , and Im from mexico so in sanish its minotauro and the zodiac sign is tauiro. and I for various reasons feel identified with the minotauru ! like seriously theseus its not his fault he was born that way >_> blame the horny mom! and its the dad who locked him up in that maze and fed him children, give him a breack, he's been though a harsh time , you DICK! D:<

I like your name too.

and yeah I know I know the backs are probably my ONLY issue with the centenial u.u sigh , perhaps they will someday release one like that without the backs... haha yeah right ._.

I even thought about making my own copy but it looks like too much of a hassle :p

Im still thorn... Im leaning towards the originalk because its cheaper too...
:/
and I dont want the coffe table book lol

Minotauro

Actually the Original is quite close to the Pam B. It's my favorite although for reading I use the one I got when I was a mere youth.

my first raider waite has a missing card u.u it was a ocket edition wish is nowhere to be found online and here in mexico it costs around 25-30 bucks ._. its not oop or anything lol I think I migh just buy that one if I dont make up my mind =P