Cleansing Tarot Decks

NikkiBabee

Good afternoon all,

I heard somewhere that it is good to cleanse and sort of "reset" the tarot deck energy by putting the cards all in order before reading for yourself or others if you only have 1 deck, otherwise use separate decks...my question is if you do a reading for someone else then for yourself should you cleanse or reset the deck?

Thanks!
Nikki

Asbestos Mango

I don't "reset" the RWS that lives in my purse every time I read for a different person, and when I use one of my other decks to read for someone else (usually online) I don't put them in order again.

I basically reorder my cards when the mood strikes me, or when I'm really bored and have nothing better to do.

Grizabella

I never "cleanse" my decks. They're not dirty. :) And I like all the energy of all the people I've read for to stay with the cards. That's important to me.

starrystarrynight

I don't cleanse my decks, either, though I do tend to give them a good shuffle both before and after a reading.

Whatever works for you and makes you feel comfortable is the thing to go by, I think. There are no hard and fast rules in reading cards.

tarotlaura

Do what feels right to you. If you feel that you should cleanse or reset the deck then go for it. I don't cleanse my decks either. Although I will put them under the moonlight to collect some moon energy. But that's about it.

Sulis

I never 'cleanse' my decks either and I'd only consider doing so if I'd spilled something on them or if I got a nasty smelling second hand deck. I really don't understand why people do cleanse their decks and half the time I think people do it because they've read somewhere that that's what you should do and so they do without questioning.
I have wafted my reading decks through incense but that wasn't to cleanse them, it was to make them smell nice :).

If you feel you need to then by all means do so but I really don't think there's any real need to do it.

There was a really good (and funny) article in Witchvox last month about cleansing or not letting others touch your cards because that's what you've been told or read is the right thing to do. It's well worth a read: http://www.witchvox.com/va/dt_va.html?a=usil&c=words&id=14684

NikkiBabee

Thank you so much for all the responses! I will be reading that article for sure.

nisaba

I heard somewhere that it is good to cleanse and sort of "reset" the tarot deck energy by putting the cards all in order before reading for yourself or others if you only have 1 deck, otherwise use separate decks...my question is if you do a reading for someone else then for yourself should you cleanse or reset the deck?
If you put the cards "in order", then it takes ages and ages to shuffle them out of order again, and you get clumps of - say - Wands in near-numerical order. Most clients don't have the patience for the necessary shuffling.

I shuffle them briefly before I set up for a day's readings, and shuffle them briefly after a client has finished with them. I allow them to shuffle for as long or as short a time as they want (most of them opt for a short time).

That's all you need to cleanse them.

Bhavana

I used to do all that cleansing stuff, esp. back when I believed that the cards were more than just paper and had special powers. Now, I just shuffle. Occasionally, I do set them on my home altar and maybe put a crystal on top of the deck...however, I am not a wiccan (thou i've been accused of being a witch) and my altar, which includes a statue of the Blessed Mother, has no powers either - and crystals are really just very pretty rocks....so whatever. It's all just in good fun, a little ritual and theatrics never hurt anybody - so do whatever makes you feel good!!

Jes

I just shuffle. thats enough for me :)