Lunar cycle influences on Tarot?

pacificwaters

At the risk of sounding liking an idiot I am starting this thread...

From what I have been reading and talking with others, I have been told the Tarot is influenced by the moon and is feminine. It is for this reason that initially before dealing the cards, when the cards are cut, they are preferably cut by the left hand (though I do know that there is no set rule for this. Some even cut the deck with the right hand). And just because they are feminine, the Tarot cards come up with a different set of answers (the end result is always the same, but from the end to the beginning, various angles of the story are told) each time they are asked the same question. This I am told is attributed to the feminine nature of the cards and the lunar influences.

Being an Indian myself, where horoscopes are based on the lunar cycle and where the full moon day (Poornima) and no moon day (Amavasya) have utmost significance, what I wanted to ask is - Are readings/spreads in any way affected by these changes in the lunar cycle, especially on these two days???

Minotauro

well NO.
for me they are most definetly not femenine , they are cards.

maybe if every single card in the deck was a woman , and there were no kings and no emperor hierophant etc. then maybe the cards could be female.

they CAN be femenine , menaing they are girly and flowery and in general more pleasing to women and to femenine men too I guess.

I think they are in any case of both genders ,f they were female only then they'd only one poibt of view, they would be biased, wich I dont think they are , and then what about the archetypes? if they were only a female kind of things those archetypes wouldnt aply to men , and then the tarot could only work with women for both reading and asking them.

now Im not saying this just because Im a guy ( even though I did feel kinda sad :c ) and even though Im not a pagan I believe in the duality philoshies of most mesoamerican cultures and think that most things have both female and male aspects , just like every girl as a masculine side and every man has a femenine side and even more so; screw sides ! XD lets not tag things! there's no femenine there's no masculine there are just people! :'D

but that aside.
in the case if you believe that the moon could affect them then maybe they will be afected though you as a reader.

in my point of view , I hd not thought about it.in general I think they are just cards and what powers them is your knowledge of the symbols, what powers them are the archetypes or maybe the colective conciousnes and in both those cases if we get affected they get affected , am I explaining myself correctly?

but then of course I believe that because the moon doesnt only afect females either.
lol.

pacificwaters

well NO.
for me they are most definetly not femenine , they are cards.

maybe if every single card in the deck was a woman , and there were no kings and no emperor hierophant etc. then maybe the cards could be female.

they CAN be femenine , menaing they are girly and flowery and in general more pleasing to women and to femenine men too I guess.

I am not using that as a base to call them feminine.

in the case if you believe that the moon could affect them then maybe they will be afected though you as a reader.

in my point of view , I hd not thought about it.in general I think they are just cards and what powers them is your knowledge of the symbols, what powers them are the archetypes or maybe the colective conciousnes and in both those cases if we get affected they get affected , am I explaining myself correctly?

but then of course I believe that because the moon doesnt only afect females either.
lol.

Well i had also never thought about this question unless a thrid person who is not acquainted with Tarot asked me this. In India, lunar cycle is very important from the astrological point of view. A no moon day can significantly alter the mind's leanings (that is how it is perceived here, I have also had certain experiences of it myself) Well as you say yes, they might affect the reader...agreed..!! But what I wanted to know is can the moon cycle affect the cards too???or will the affect be in the reader reading them and not on cards. Just to give an example...horoscope is a science in the field of astrology, with a base for its own interpretations based on certain calculations of how the planets square up. Even then readers avoid reading horoscopes here on a no moon day!!! I hope I am getting what I wanted to say. !

Minotauro

I am not using that as a base to call them feminine.

Well i had also never thought about this question unless a thrid person who is not acquainted with Tarot asked me this. In India, lunar cycle is very important from the astrological point of view. A no moon day can significantly alter the mind's leanings (that is how it is perceived here, I have also had certain experiences of it myself) Well as you say yes, they might affect the reader...agreed..!! But what I wanted to know is can the moon cycle affect the cards too???or will the affect be in the reader reading them and not on cards. Just to give an example...horoscope is a science in the field of astrology, with a base for its own interpretations based on certain calculations of how the planets square up. Even then readers avoid reading horoscopes here on a no moon day!!! I hope I am getting what I wanted to say. !

hmmm well Im not sure , Im leaning towards a no. but Im not sure because I dont fully understand your astrology , but the cards at least with the astrology Im more familiar with would be affected by this because objects arent affected, only people

the reading in general could be afected because I think the mind is very important when it comes to tarot from both the sitter and the reader. I think in your positio I wouldnt read. or maybe I would read but I dont know how accurate my readings could be.

using your example; the astrologers are the ones being affected, not the astrology itself of the planets.
X)

thats my point of view <3

pacificwaters

I think in your positio I wouldnt read. or maybe I would read but I dont know how accurate my readings could be.

Just like you said before, I had myself never ever thought of this before....Its just that this random thought crossed my mind because someone else mentioned it to me...I personally cant read a horoscope... and talking about reading the cards, I wouldn't mind reading them either... I just asked this here because I am sure I would get some wonderful insight from the biggies here who would throw their viewpoint as well...

And yes, people (read astrologers) don't read horoscopes on a no moon day because it is considered inauspicious...this is just one of the many reasons behind not reading on that day! Other reasons I am unaware of..but they do exist..

MareSaturni

I don't think tarot cards are feminine/lunar. In fact, I think the strong balance in imagery and archetypes of most traditional decks shows that it is an oracle that includes both masculine and feminine energies. The Chariot does not have a very feminine vibe. Nor does the Tower, or even the Sun. Even if these cards portray women, they are cards that represent more masculine/solar archetypes.

pacificwaters said:
And just because they are feminine, the Tarot cards come up with a different set of answers (the end result is always the same, but from the end to the beginning, various angles of the story are told) each time they are asked the same question. This I am told is attributed to the feminine nature of the cards and the lunar influences.

Well, I hope you will not be offended, but this sounds like a 'excuse' to me as to why the same cards don't come up when you ask the same question. In fact, it's even a bit offensive for the "feminine" itself, because it implies feminine things (and people) cannot give consistent answers.

For me, different cards come because the oracle will find other ways to deliver the message. After all, if you are asking the question again in a short space of time, it's because you probably did not understand the first answer.

That said, I believe the lunar cycles may influence card-reading - the practice itself, not the structure of the cards. But it really depends on the reader's sensibility to the moon and its vibes. I would not say it's something inherent to tarot reading.

velvetina

whilst, I do not completely agree with everything you mention, I have had the impression, subjective as it is, that my tarot cards have a 'feminine' presecence...and certainly I am influenced by the lunar cycle (its my lunar birthday today as a matter of fact!) and, by extension, so are my cards & readings.

In my Thoth deck, it is the Princess of Cups and Disks who 'approach' me and in my RWS deck, it is the Priestess and the Queen of Wands. In the Marseille deck, it is the Star. I always take my lunar phase into account when doing most things - just a peccadillo/eccentricity if you like!

pacificwaters

Well, I hope you will not be offended, but this sounds like a 'excuse' to me as to why the same cards don't come up when you ask the same question. In fact, it's even a bit offensive for the "feminine" itself, because it implies feminine things (and people) cannot give consistent answers.

I am very much sorry if at all I have hurt any female. That was the least of my intention. I was just asking something about Tarot cards which I was told are "feminine" by my teacher (and yes let me add, he always says females keep changing their words - so well maybe that's why he designated the cards feminine ;) ). However as you and Minotauro say..they aren't feminine and that I am using the word in the wrong context I have absolutely no problems in taking back my words...Apologies once again

Talking about using feminism as an excuse for the fact that the Tarot throws up different cards for the same question...well here is an interesting event that happened with me..I had done this 3 card spread where I had got a particular card as the outcome. Just out of curiosity after about 4-5 days I asked my deck the same question and the same card which had earlier come out appeared ..This has happened with me more than a couple of times (it has also happened in a 6 card spread) ....when exactly the same card has repeated itself for the same question..So its not that I used feminism as an excuse ...!!

MareSaturni

I am very much sorry if at all I have hurt any female. That was the least of my intention. I was just asking something about Tarot cards which I was told are "feminine" by my teacher (and yes let me add, he always says females keep changing their words - so well maybe that's why he designated the cards feminine ;) ). However as you and Minotauro say..they aren't feminine and that I am using the word in the wrong context I have absolutely no problems in taking back my words...Apologies once again

Oh no, I am not offended at all! ;)
I just think that using 'feminine' to explain why something is not consistent is a bit... strange. So a masculine oracle, by opposition, would always give the same answer no matter what? That's what I am thinking, but I'm not personally offended and I don't think anyone is. :) No worries!

Perhaps 'lunar', rather than 'feminine', would be a better word, as to imply 'instability'. The cards are heavily influenced by the moon, thus they tend to change the cards when you repeat the question. However, I have to say that changing the cards does not equal to changing the answer. You can have different cards giving a similar message.

well here is an interesting event that happened with me..I had done this 3 card spread where I had got a particular card as the outcome. Just out of curiosity after about 4-5 days I asked my deck the same question and the same card which had earlier come out appeared ..This has happened with me more than a couple of times (it has also happened in a 6 card spread) ....when exactly the same card has repeated itself for the same question..So its not that I used feminism as an excuse ...!!

I didn't say you were doing it, only that the explanation sounded a bit like an excuse. It is not rare for the same cards to show up when you ask the same question, which makes me question the whole idea that the tarot itself is 'lunar'. And like I said above, different cards do not mean a different answer. The tarot has 78 cards - there are many ways to deliver the same message!

I do believe that the reader can be influenced by the lunar cycles, but the cards themselves are not naturally lunar/feminine. It all depends on who is using them. :)

caridwen

... I have been told the Tarot is influenced by the moon and is feminine.

I can see why you were told this. The Feminine is associated with Yin, water, darkness, night. The Masculine is associated with day, fire, yang, light. The problem is that unlike Yin and Yang which work together and in harmony, cultures have attributed negative connotations to these attributes. They are not necessarily associated with gender but have been so to the detriment of each. Yin is not weakness but an essential part of wholeness and being.

Every woman and man has feminine and masculine elements within. Some more than others which is not right or wrong; it just is. The High Priestess as the guardian of the 'mysteries' would be representative of the Yin aspect and Tarot as Tarot is associated with intuition. That does not mean that women can only read Tarot or have access to the 'mysteries'. Some women have more yang than yin and vice versa. Cakes are cakes but they are not all the same, nor do they have similar ingredients.:D

In some cultures the Moon is feminine in others it is masculine. I'm not sure who is right or wrong, nor does it matter. The Moon is associated with water and the menstrual cycle as it follows a 28 day pattern. The Moon is also associated with mental illness as are women due to rigid masculine constructs. The word hysteria is derived from the Greek for womb. So called female hysteria has been treated with hysterectomies as though women’s reproductive organs were responsible for their behaviour.

I have researched the effect of the Moon on the mind as lunacy is derived from lunar or the Moon. There is no evidence to suggest that the Moon has any effect whatsoever on mental illness. It is also said that because human beings are made up off water and the Moon controls the ebb and flow of the sea, that it would naturally have an effect but again there is no evidence to prove this.

It is for this reason that initially before dealing the cards, when the cards are cut, they are preferably cut by the left hand (though I do know that there is no set rule for this. Some even cut the deck with the right hand).

The left hand path has associations with black magic and the Devil due to Satan sitting on the left hand side of God. People who used their left hands were seen as abnormal and forced to write with their right. Again, the feminine is associated with the left hand and the masculine with the right. In Western culture all that is scientific and open is masculine and all that is mysterious and closed is feminine. You’ll also notice that dichotomy in most languages as well. I suppose that is why you were advised to cut with your left hand because it is associated with the feminine and therefore Tarot.

There is no set rule regarding this. Cut with your toes if it feels more comfortable.

And just because they are feminine, the Tarot cards come up with a different set of answers (the end result is always the same, but from the end to the beginning, various angles of the story are told) each time they are asked the same question. This I am told is attributed to the feminine nature of the cards and the lunar influences.

Tarot cards are not feminine just as tables are not masculine. Intuition and fortune telling et al is associated with the mysteries which is feminine. Again masculine and feminine are not genderised neither is one a weakness and one a strength. They are two parts of a whole, both of which are necessary for harmony and stability. I do not believe the cards are influenced by the Moon but they may be read using intuition and that part of ourselves which is unknowable or mysterious.

Some aspects of life cannot be explained by science which is why we have faith. We learn more and more about the mystery that is life as it is slowly dissected. However the more we learn the more wondrous and mysterious life becomes for example the golden ratio or phi. I have a friend who is a doctor and the more she learns about the human body, the more faith she has in God. The unknowable is frightening to some who need rational explanations and statistics.

Being an Indian myself, where horoscopes are based on the lunar cycle and where the full moon day (Poornima) and no moon day (Amavasya) have utmost significance, what I wanted to ask is - Are readings/spreads in any way affected by these changes in the lunar cycle, especially on these two days???

No. Tarot cards have no more meaning or significance than we attribute to them. As a cross has no more meaning to someone who is not a Christian. If you believe lunar cycles have an effect on you because of your culture then that is your belief. There is no evidence to prove this is the case. Follow whatever cultural rituals make you feel comfortable.