herbs for sleep and relaxation?

greatdane

Anyone use Lemon Balm for sleep or relaxation? So many of the sleep aids in the health food store contain ingredients that either don't help me or make sleep worse. Rescue Sleep by Bach isn't bad, but am looking for something else. Was thinking of getting straight lemon balm capsules. Thought maybe some ATers had some thoughts re natural approach. I can't take anything with nettle or grapefruit seed and hops extract that is in a lot of the sleep aids didn't help.

SloughSister

I don't know about lemon balm. Valerian can be pretty effective, IMHO. I like it better in combo with hops but it sounds like that's a no-go for you.

Rootweaver

I recently read that Thyme will induce sleep, but this is unverified so PLEASE do your research on it first. I used moderate amounts of thyme in a cough mixture that I made at home, the recipe was from a book that had been discussed on another forum. It was mentioned that too much thyme could 'knock you out' and that this ingredient should be omitted from a home-made cough mixture for kids.

Bhavana

I tried valerian once, broke out all over my body in big lumpy hives. Made me a little fearful of natural herb treatments. I used to have a lot of trouble sleeping, but not so much now. If I do I just have a cup of hot decaf green tea with jasmine, and do that flat on my back total body relaxation exercise.

greatdane

Thanks all!

I know herbals can be hit or miss. Everyone is different. So I REALLY appreciate your kind comments on things you've tried or heard about. I don't need anything really strong and have noticed some things not only don't work but made it harder to sleep. I look for things without contraindiciations with other drugs. I don't take many prescription meds, but I still always check. I know often peeps think natural or herbal means completely safe, but I do always look up side effects and most natural have them just like prescription drugs do. OK, maybe not as often or as serious, but I err on the side of caution.

I am checking out the ones you all listed and thanks AGAIN! :))

GD

Sword King

Passionflower is the most potent and safe sleep/relaxation aid that I have found. If you wish to cut down any sort of thought-chatter, skullcap can't be beat. Blue Vervain is also powerful, but it should ideally be used with a carminative such as orange peel or cinnamon so your stomach stays neutral. Linden and California poppy are a good combination as well. Some people find chamomile with lavender to be sufficient. Hop flowers and valerian come recommended, but I can't stand the taste of either.

I'm talking infusions here versus extracts, and typically a teaspoon of loose herb per 8 oz of water.

I suggest trying them one at a time by themselves and always doing research first. Good luck in your studies.

greatdane

Thank you so much, Sword King!

Very useful info. I will definitely try your suggestions. Strange neither seem to be hops fans. It just didn't help. I don't need something really potent, I'm not an insomniac, just don't always stay asleep for as long as I would like. I can't wait to try these.

Again, thank you for sharing your knowledge.

GreatDane

Wonderwoman

Passion Flower

I'm in complete agreement with SwordKing, passionflower does induce sleep! As a matter of fact I had a mixture last night of passionflower tea with Sunset in Seattle, another concoction I purchased from www.everythingtea.net. Well let me tell you, not only did I sleep well, I had very vivid dreams which included a clairaudient experience. I woke up re-energized!

Wonderwoman

Lavender

I forgot to mention I also placed lavender under my pillow. This is definitely Not Ingested.

greatdane

Thanks wonderwoman!

i agree with the lavender. I spritz a lavender scent around and it's like instant calm. Mrs. Meyer's lavender room spray is a fav. I must try that passionflower, seems like tea is the way to go? Thanks so much for that link!

GD