PDA

View Full Version : Lapis lazuli - how to bring back the shine?

Sulis
06-09-2011, 00:15
I have a lapis luzuli and silver ring that I wear ever day and have done for the last 10 years or so. It's just a plain oval cabochon stone and it's become very dull. I'm not sure if it was ever waxed as some lapis is but it certainly doesn't look it now.
By contrast I have a newish (to me) lapis pendant that has a gorgeous lustre and shine to it and I'm wondering if there is any way to shine up my ring. Does anyone know of any simple polishing techniques or what to use to buff this stone up a bit?

Hemera
06-09-2011, 16:39
I must confess all I can come up with is to take it to a shop. Silversmiths polish stones and their services tend to be cheaper than goldsmiths´. I´m guessing it wouldn´t cost all that much. If you really like the ring so much that you wear it every day then I guess it would be worth it :)

GryffinSong
07-09-2011, 03:19
Here's what I found on ehow:

Use jewelry wax to finish polishing the stone. This colorless wax should be dabbed on a cotton ball and buffed into the stone. This can also be done any time the stone appears dull or scratched. You can also try gem polishing pads to add shine to the stones. There are varying softness levels for these pads. The more abrasive ones are used on rougher stones that need more polishing. Polish with these pads until you reach you desired sheen.

Read more: How to Polish Lapis Lazuli | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5898479_polish-lapis-lazuli.html#ixzz1XBpqEdZV

Sulis
09-09-2011, 04:58
Thanks for your help :).
I'm going to try to get hold of some of that jewellery wax and if I can't find any of that then I'll take it to a silversmith and see what they suggest.