Yellow-box RWS: Switzerland vs China Printings

Bhavana

(text removed by Moderator)

I have not been able to find a China printing of the Magician front yellow box Rider Waite, which I call the "regular" RW. My question is, what about the older Switzerland printings of this deck? It's also in the yellow box with the magician on the front, but not shiny, and the lettering is the old PCS lettering, not a typed font like my Italian print deck.

How does the Switzerland printing compare to the China printing? I would like a more matte cardstock and less garish coloring.

rwcarter

How does the Switzerland printing compare to the China printing? I would like a more matte cardstock and less garish coloring.
So you're asking about the Switzerland and China printings of the yellow-box RWS by US Games, then?

Bhavana

yes, just wondering what the differences are

rwcarter

I only have a Giant RWS printed in China and not the smaller yellow-box version, so can't help with the comparison unfortunately.

Bhavana

Well, what I have heard, is that the China printing has a more matte finish than the Italian, and has the old style printing, not modern type, like the Italian deck. I have the pocket version from China - matte finish, old printing. So, really what I am curious is how the Swiss one compares to the Chinese. I am continuing to look for the China edition, but just came across a vintage deck from Switzerland, and was wondering if anyone else here had it, and if it was similar or superior to the Chinese printing.

rwcarter

Are you talking about the pre-USG copyright Switzerland printings, post-USG copyright printings or both? (I still don't have a normal sized China printing, but I have various iterations of the Switzerland printings and there are differences among them.)

Bhavana

the box says printed in switzerland for USGames (connecticut address)

rwcarter

Ahh, then you're not asking about the really old Switzerland printings cause those have the New York address on them. Do you have the LWB that went with your deck? What is the lowest printing number on the bottom in the inside page? There should be numbers something like:

23 22 21 20 19 18 17 16 15 14

In the case above, 14 would be the printing number. Since no one else is chiming in, I'll see if I can find a China print and compare for you.

Bhavana

No, no LWB, but yes, it's a Connecticut USGames

gregory

Bookmarking as if you don't get an answer, I do have both in the UK.... Back there mid October !