Etiquette of sharing reading room w/ other readers

OOnaOwl

I just got a gig reading at my friends new shop down the road. I will be sharing the large reading room with other readers at the same time. We will be at separate tables spread throughout the room but within earshot & sight of each other. This is a new situation for me, I have only shared reading space at parties with one other reader before. Any tips for etiquette, etc. for me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

tarotbear

Make it Yours!

Dear OOnaOwl ~

Having been in a similar situation - it's usually not as bad as you think. Of course, you should not be shouting or laughing gleefully and disturb the people around you. This is strictly one-on-one and your Querent is going to be paying attention to you and the conversation between the two of you. Haven't you ever been to a restaurant where the tables are really close? Do you really know what the couples around you are discussing? Not really - you are concentrating on the person you're talking to. Hopefully you will be at least an arm's length away from the next reader, and if you're really concerned, an old folding screen can do more than look dramatic~!

Good luck to you!

I used to read Tarot during a Mardi Gras party at a museum - although I was the only reader I had to deal with food vendors, waitresses, face painters, roving entertainers, photgraphers - and the Band! Hope you have good concentration skills!

Further suggestions for other readers:

Do your readings under a patio or market umbrella - defines your 'space/booth'

A folding screen - if you are near a corner you can use it to block a direct view of other readers, or put it behind the Querents chair rather than between your table and the next.

If you are outdoors - a 10' x 10' screen house or an 8' x 10' picnic table canopy. Sure - there are no walls, but it gives the impression of 'what goes on in here stays in here'

A cheap or old rug to put your table and two chairs on - immediate boundries~!

I have attached my 'booth' from the last Mardi Gras I ever did. The 'trees' are made from heavy cardboard rug tubes and the bark is spray foam insulation. The branches are old grapevines. Of course, it helped to have freinds who were creative and worked in theatre!

Attachments

• Booth A.jpg
    Booth A.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 94
  • Booth B.jpg
    Booth B.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 87

nisaba

Once you focus on your cards and your client, a road-train could rumble by and you'd never notice. Have a book with you to read between clients, so that you don't look as if you are eavesdropping.

OOnaOwl

Thank you all for your responses. I really appreciate it! :) So far the shop is so new that no one has been reading at the same time as the others. We do have a privacy screen to separate the two reading spaces. I am very soft spoken, and there is an astrologer there who is a very boisterous communicator, lol.