Reading Cloths v2.0

Kosjitov

Let's assume you were going to buy a reading cloth (or someone was going to gift you a reading cloth, for the bandana users :p)

- 25$ for 2ft of cloth reading space? Does that seem like highway robbery or acceptable?
- Would you be looking at plain colors or expecting patterned offerings as well?
- Embroidery: would you be expecting beads and other bits of glitz, or would you be worrying about them scratching up your cards, or making it not sit right? Or would you be fine with just stitching words/symbols onto it so it's still soft?
- 2x2ft of reading space. Too big, too small? And what are your preferred dimensions?
- Single layer vs double layer: Does single layer seem too flimsy/cheap?

Finally, most important:

Would you be *happy* to receive as a GIFT a reading cloth:
- silk/velvet/cotton/polyester cloth (please indicate at least 1 cloth type you prefer)
WITH or WITHOUT
-a pattern on it
WITHOUT
- additional embroidery/glitz?
Yes. That is a three part query.

Curious to see what everyone has a preference for.

Red_Ocean

Let's assume you were going to buy a reading cloth (or someone was going to gift you a reading cloth, for the bandana users :p)

- 25$ for 2ft of cloth reading space? Does that seem like highway robbery or acceptable?
Knock of $5

- Would you be looking at plain colors or expecting patterned offerings as well?
I personally like plain colors. If I get patterns it would distract me. Then again, you can get the cloth made dual. One side pain and the other side patterns.

- Embroidery: would you be expecting beads and other bits of glitz, or would you be worrying about them scratching up your cards, or making it not sit right? Or would you be fine with just stitching words/symbols onto it so it's still soft?
I would avoid embroidery at all cost for the reasons that they could damage the cards and peaces might come off.

- 2x2ft of reading space. Too big, too small? And what are your preferred dimensions?
2x2ft sounds fair enough. But personally, I prefer where I can lay 20 cards vertical and horizontal on my spread cloth

Depending on the fabric. I'm sure single layer would be just find. But double layer seems right/

Finally, most important:

- silk/velvet/cotton/polyester cloth (please indicate at least 1 cloth type you prefer)
I prefer velvet. Over any other fabric. Velvet makes cards last longer. Felt is also good as well.

WITH or WITHOUT
-a pattern on it
Without

WITHOUT
Yes

Curious to see what everyone has a preference for.

Gee thanks alot Kosjitov. Now you've enable me to buy or have a spread cloth made lol. I know my preferences seems rather boring and dull lol. I just like to keep it simple :)

Gia

I want to preface this by saying that I am a dyed in the wool bargain hunter...and I sew all my own tarot bags and the one cloth that I have for occasions when I need one...so I know the cost of the materials and how long it takes to make a cloth...

For $25 I would expect *very* nice printed cotton or cotton blend with a 2nd layer, possibly even machine quilted. I prefer unprinted velvet and would expect nice finshing and edging (beads, fringe or embroidery...but only at the edges...maybe at the corners...but nothing on the face of the cloth where I'm putting cards). The size seems good...but...I can't stress enough that quality is paramount and it would have to be *very* special for me to spend $25.

Kosjitov

Sorry Red Ocean :)

Gia, the 25$ seemed *really* steep to me considering that it's plain silk and single layered, no print... can get a yard for 6$ so... yeah. I'm sure we're in agreement with that. Merely tapping the pinata of collective opinion at AT to see what pops out.

Barleywine

I never used a cloth until I got one with my Mythic Tarot deck back in the '80s. It's just plain black with a Celtic Cross pattern printed on it in gold. $25 seems ridiculously costly for a piece of cloth to me.

WolfyJames

I don't remember how much my reading cloth costed me, probably around that 25$. I know since I fan the cards to pick them I wanted a large spread cloth to allow it. And I wanted to have black felt as large for the bottom of the spread cloth (second layer) so that the cotton wouldn't have direct contact on the surface. Plus with the felt the spread cloth feels smoother. I had no idea what pattern I'd take when I went to the shop, but it was in september or october, and they had Halloween patterns all over the place, I could not resist taking one for my spread cloth, it was in cotton. And I had to buy glue for cloth since I don't sew. So all in all it went probably around 25$.

Le Fanu

I bought a huge square of heavy black velvet in a sale bin at a fabric warehouse. I then paid a seamstress to hem it. Altogether it must have been less than $25 (or maybe not). All I know is that it is very black and very sumptuous. I'd spend $25 on a spreadcloth. That's 18 euros, but I'd expect something a decent size.

Kosjitov

Really would appreciate more info from people. Namely size/dimensions, single layer vs double. I hate to be a pest, but I did put multiple points because I genuinely am interested in ALL of them :)

Kosjitov said:

Finally, most important:

WITH or WITHOUT
-a pattern on it
WITHOUT

Bhavana

If I liked something enough, sure I'd pay $25. I'd probably pay more.

Size is important, as we all know some cards can be pretty big. 2x2ft would be good.

Embroidery ok, patterns ok, but nothing that would scratch. Beading I would love, but only around the edges. And yes, I would prefer that it lay nicely and flat if I were spending that much money!

Layer depends on fabric, and though I would prefer a natural fabric, I am open to anything. Anything that doesn't require a lint brushing before use would be best - something in a dark color that attracts every bit of dust, lint, or cat hair would not get used very often, no matter how pretty. I do like velvet.

The thing is, I also like older stuff, and would be more likely to use a pretty old scarf or small shawl that I got from a antique or second hand thrift shop....but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't buy new or appreciate a gift of something new. Also, I have more than one deck, so why wouldn't I have more than one reading cloth? Makes sense that I'd have a few, old and new in style.

As a gift, it would be awesome to open up a box with a gorgeous jewel toned velvet cloth with beaded edging - double layer would be nice, more a sign of quality and definitely more luxurious in most cases... and it just occurred to me that I would probably prefer a solid or very minimal pattern, so that the cloth wouldn't clash too much with all my different decks.

Why are you asking, if you don't mind me asking?

Kosjitov

Bhavana,

I currently hand sew my own reading cloths, usually double layered, and of a shiny smooth material. Before I started tarot I had a light interest in sewing and have leftover cloths which could be used for reading cloths and given away. It's nice to know 'ideally' what someone would want/like- particularly in size, layers, and decoration. I'm actually happy that people don't *expect* embroidering (but would like it in some cases), as I'm doing this without a machine and have 0 idea how to do the fancy stuff!